Coral Vue Hydros

Mantis acting weird

Based

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

Hand feeding, eh? Brave. Well, I'll do it with Betty, but no way with Chuck. He always strikes before taking food.

I started being a little apprehensive about hand feeding after asking Dr. Caldwell about the strike force of a 5" peacock. This was his response to my question.

"They can adjust the striking force. Also, once the muscles contract and the energy stored for the strike, they can release the energy slowly without having to strike.

How bad an O. scyllarus strike is to a human depends on the size and type of strike. In my experience, when an O. scyllarus strikes a human, it is usually a double stab. This creates a deep wound with a lot of hematoma and bleeding. In one case, I was stabbed in the joint of a finger and couldn't use it for weeks. In another case, the tip of the dactyl embedded in a bone in my finger. Not fun! Then if you really want to worry, I was contacted by a surgeon who grabbed an O. scyllarus and was stabbed. The wound was infected by a cartilage eating bacteria and they had to amputate his hand. I can think of no good reason why you would invite a stomatopod to strike you."

Just a little food for thought. :)

Islandoftiki

Just remember, their dactyls fold out into tiny needle-like spears that can easily penetrate to the bone and possibly cause a deep tissue infection. That said, I still hand feed Betty.

Guys this thread makes me worry...Spock has a little black line on his bum... :(((

Yeah i saw that, wasnt sure if it was shell rot or black substrate, hope hes ok, i think mine is just having a tough time molt, i think she doesnt know where to do it, because she keeps on going near other rocks and digging, not too happy about my new scape, but ill redo it once she molts, knew i should of got some of the waterweld stuff.

Just remember, their dactyls fold out into tiny needle-like spears that can easily penetrate to the bone and possibly cause a deep tissue infection. That said, I still hand feed Betty.

Hey tiki could she be acting this way because she doesnt know where to molt? she keeps on digging under different rocks

So i just masked the front and sides of the tank off with black tape, there is barely any light being emitted into the tank. As far as my salt goes is there enough iodide in the salt to cause her to be acting this way?

post-78934-0-05699200-1376006977_thumb.png

Islandoftiki

Hey tiki could she be acting this way because she doesnt know where to molt? she keeps on digging under different rocks

Possibly. All of my mantis have been given pre-made homes, so they had a ready-made place to go straight away.

If you don't have any good flat rocks with good space under them, building a den could be difficult.

Do you also have lots of small pieces of rubble in the tank to build with?

IME, unless you have something sucking it down, you really don't need to supplement iodine other than water changes, and you can also "overdo" it, so if you decide to dose it, do test for it.

Our peacock didn't like my wedding ring at all...or DID like it and wanted to eat it. He would smack the tank every time he saw it (the tank was acrylic). We did manage to startle the heck out of each other tho...it used to smack its feeding stick before taking the food, but once, it ran up the stick, out of the tank, and up to my elbow before it did one of those cartoon-like "WTF am I doing HERE???!!!" and ran back down my arm into the tank. LOL

Peacocks are indeed the coolest mantis we've kept...ours loved being in a high-traffic area of the house, and spent as much time watching us as we did watching him.

Tiki,

That's a gorgeous specimen you have there...really pretty bue coloration.

I'm not supplement iodide/iodine my salt has it in it, I know iodide can cause it to molt early. And she has a den but I don't think she fills safe in it because one side is wide open, should I do a quick aquascape? I know what I want to do in my head. She still hasn't molted, she's watching me right now, well never mind I looked at her and she went back into her den, but should I redo the scape now or wait? Also there is rubble but I haven't seen her use any of it yet.

Deleted User 3

IME, unless you have something sucking it down, you really don't need to supplement iodine other than water changes, and you can also "overdo" it, so if you decide to dose it, do test for it.

Our peacock didn't like my wedding ring at all...or DID like it and wanted to eat it. He would smack the tank every time he saw it (the tank was acrylic). We did manage to startle the heck out of each other tho...it used to smack its feeding stick before taking the food, but once, it ran up the stick, out of the tank, and up to my elbow before it did one of those cartoon-like "WTF am I doing HERE???!!!" and ran back down my arm into the tank. LOL

Peacocks are indeed the coolest mantis we've kept...ours loved being in a high-traffic area of the house, and spent as much time watching us as we did watching him.

Tiki,

That's a gorgeous specimen you have there...really pretty bue coloration.

It probably was like 'OMFG AIR' lol I would prob freak out. Im starting to like mantis's after i keep reading about them. Im going to need 2 new tanks a mantis one and an octo one.. lol

Yep that's my thought, and just imagine that mantis climbing up your arm and starts smaking the heck out of you, we'll actually could a mantis do damage out of water?

Yep that's my thought, and just imagine that mantis climbing up your arm and starts smaking the heck out of you, we'll actually could a mantis do damage out of water?

yes

Islandoftiki

A mantis smacking you with the smasher end of the dactyl would suck, but getting stabbed with the needle sharp end would suck way worse!

Sheila Patek explains what it's like to get hit by a mantis:

Here's a little more from Sheila about the the mantis dactyl:

And just because I find Sheila's info on mantis so much fun, here's her talking about mantis at the TED talks:

Archived