Cultivated Reef

DIY Live Rock for cheap

Esqueleto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I forgot about this thread sorry for not responding. Ill be posting some pictures later this week. Been busy selling this rocks locally :P

I'll be buying everything for this tonight. It's going to be a weekend project. Have you added any livestock to the tank with this rock in yet?

I dont have any livestock yet because I was out of town for 3 weeks. This weekend Ill be adding a fish to see if everything is fine, atleast the water parameters are in check. Let see if theres no poison in those grout mixes lol I should hire Heisenberg to test the rocks :|

• Like 1

Ill be posting some pictures later this week.

Cool please do.

I made several pieces a couple weeks ago, have them with a powerhead and dialy water changes for almost 2 weeks now, Ive not tested the water though.

Does yours have sand on one side? All mine have some stuck to them on the side they laid on.

I made one piece with a small batch i made. Curing in a bucket now. Hope this works out ok!!! i like the rock i made although it did come out a bit small.

:blink: poison in the grout?!?! uh oh...

Let us know if mr fishy goes belly up

;)

Cool please do.

I made several pieces a couple weeks ago, have them with a powerhead and dialy water changes for almost 2 weeks now, Ive not tested the water though.

Does yours have sand on one side? All mine have some stuck to them on the side they laid on.

the first batch came with a little bit of sand on the bottom, the second batch and third one not because I used 100% crushed coral as the mold, you could use the salt for the mold too and that way it will dissolve in water. Now Im using 100% salt as mold. Will post some pictures later. Im pretty sure the rocks are reef safe, theres a lot of people using this formula with success. My 90g is 100% DIY live rock since I liked the look of them better than real reef rocks.

• Like 1

Made mine (first small rock) on Monday and Ph is still too high.

As soon as it comes down, in the tank it goes! I'm really excited cuz I

Made tunnel space underneath for my pistol!

Made mine (first small rock) on Monday and Ph is still too high. As soon as it comes down, in the tank it goes! I'm really excited cuz I Made tunnel space underneath for my pistol!

I put two pieces in my sump yesterday and nothing changed so Ima leave it in there for a while before moving it up to my display...

Would putting some of the cured diy rock and a piece of coraline covered live rock in a tank with just them and dosing it with something like purple up help the coraline get growing?

well... i guess its just a waiting game then...

...*yawn* lol

at this rate id guess another week at least. my little pistol shrimp can keep to his current cave for a while longer

edit:

3 weeks later... total 5, and the pH hasnt budged. i think im giving up. ill post a shopping list of what i used, but except for the exact brand of grout, everything else was the same...

*le sigh*

• 9 months later...

wow. forgot this thread. well I am guessing I didnt let the rock dry long enough before curing it in water. next time id do 48hrs. dry minimum. it did eventually drop in ph. now my pistol has a nice burrow and is just waiting for me to sump my tank and get an algae scrubber amd serious skimmer to add a randalls goby for him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lights off now, but heres a pic I cropped from a larger one of the rock I made. this rock really attracted the coraline algae to grow on it.

2014-10-30%2023.53.57_zpscszuywsn.jpg

been thinking of making another.