Pod Your Reef

Egginis Nuvo 24

Egginis

i noticed you are using the minimax reactors, may i ask what media you've put in them and do you recommend using it in the tank (the 150L or the 350L?)?
The 150 liter contains bio pellets, and the 350L contains seachem phosphGuard. I owned the 150l first because it seemed appropriate for my Nuvo 16. When I upgraded to the 24, there was more space in the back compartments. The 350l allowed for extra space and volume for media to fit into. It fits well and looks sleek on the back of the aquarium. The pump is a bit larger and will add a little heat to the water.

Man, this tank setup is awesome!!! Ha, I noticed your scoly is a little bleached? I wouldn't be surprised since it's hard to keep up with healthy sps if you're going to have healthy scolys. I'm just in love with your aqua scaping, coral placements and coral selection.
Thanks again. I am constantly trying to build an aqua scape that is pleasing to the eye and works for the fish, coral, and inverts. I do not seem to have good luck with scolys. I have been trying to feed it but every time I leave food on its mouth, the darn fire shrimp pick it off and eat it.
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm likely going to be taking a chance and adding a Flame Angel to my Nuvo 24. But then again I have hardly any coral yet for the tank.

It's really hit or miss with dwarfs. They can be great for years and then start picking at things. I have a potters angel in my 220 gallon reef and he does not harm anything. I feed my fish well with a great variety of fish foods. I use flake, pellets, frozen, liquid, and dried seaweed just to name a few.

It's a risky proposition adding a flame angel to a nano aquarium. I fear for the long term health of the fish. In my opinion a Nuvo 24 is too small an aquarium for a Flame angel or any dwarf angel. Does not mean it cannot be done, just not highly recommended. Ask around and make an informed decision before adding it. Never hurts to get more opinions.

Deleted User 4

Thanks again. I am constantly trying to build an aqua scape that is pleasing to the eye and works for the fish, coral, and inverts. I do not seem to have good luck with scolys. I have been trying to feed it but every time I leave food on its mouth, the darn fire shrimp pick it off and eat it.

This is why I forbidden myself to never ever take in a cleaner shrimp. They suck!!!

This is why I forbidden myself to never ever take in a cleaner shrimp. They suck!!!

Definitely a huge downside to cleaner shrimp when you are trying to feed corals. The 2 Fire shrimp I have now must be the greediest feeders I have ever owned. I bet if I threw in my leftovers from dinner, they would eat it.

Deleted User 4

Definitely a huge downside to cleaner shrimp when you are trying to feed corals. The 2 Fire shrimp I have now must be the greediest feeders I have ever owned. I bet if I threw in my leftovers from dinner, they would eat it.

Don't they ever try to eat your goby collection? They have done it before on the newly bought mine.

Don't they ever try to eat your goby collection? They have done it before on the newly bought mine.

They actually attacked and tried to eat your gobies? That is crazy. Make my 2 seem not bad after all.

Ugh.. I love my shrimp and I hate them too. They are a plague on my mandarins trying to eat. I have to feed the mandys then battle off the shrimp for the next 15 min so the mandys can finish eating. Feeding the shrimp first does nothing either.

Mandys going into their own tank though so I can stop this nightmare!

I picked up a starcki damsel as a replacement for a dwarf angel. Figured I'd rather risk it being mean than something picking on my corals and they are one of the least aggressive damsels. He/she was part of a breeding pair and defiantly a full sized adult and the biggest fish in the tank but has not caused any problems so far. *fingers crossed*

Deleted User 4

They actually attacked and tried to eat your gobies? That is crazy. Make my 2 seem not bad after all.

Yeah. The fire shrimp I had, killed one of my sand gobies. And a skunk cleaner killed my six-line. I told myself I'm done with cleaner shrimps.

Ugh.. I love my shrimp and I hate them too. They are a plague on my mandarins trying to eat. I have to feed the mandys then battle off the shrimp for the next 15 min so the mandys can finish eating. Feeding the shrimp first does nothing either.

Mandys going into their own tank though so I can stop this nightmare!

I picked up a starcki damsel as a replacement for a dwarf angel. Figured I'd rather risk it being mean than something picking on my corals and they are one of the least aggressive damsels. He/she was part of a breeding pair and defiantly a full sized adult and the biggest fish in the tank but has not caused any problems so far. *fingers crossed*

I'm actually partial to the Allens damselfish/ neon damselfish. It is one of the least aggressive of the species and fluorescence with a brilliant blue.

I'm actually partial to the Allens damselfish/ neon damselfish. It is one of the least aggressive of the species and fluorescence with a brilliant blue.

I say try it but I am a reckless person.. just add it last.

Those guys stay small too.

Yeah. The fire shrimp I had, killed one of my sand gobies. And a skunk cleaner killed my six-line. I told myself I'm done with cleaner shrimps.

I am still amazed at this incident. This is the first time I have ever heard of this happening. I know shrimps can be pesky but to attack and kill a goby and especially a fast moving six line wrasse is crazy. My six line would tear my shrimp apart. Tough/ aggressive fish. Just goes to show you there are always exceptions to the rule.

Deleted User 4

I am still amazed at this incident. This is the first time I have ever heard of this happening. I know shrimps can be pesky but to attack and kill a goby and especially a fast moving six line wrasse is crazy. My six line would tear my shrimp apart. Tough/ aggressive fish. Just goes to show you there are always exceptions to the rule.

Yeah. I guess it's what happens when a six-line is sleeping in its usual den.

I say try it but I am a reckless person.. just add it last.

Those guys stay small too.

Starki damsels are pretty!!

Absolutely outstanding tank!!!.... Makes me want to upgrade from my Nuvo 16...

Thank you for the great response. Upgrading from my Nuvo 16 to the 24 made a big difference. Here are pics of each aquarium.

post-80849-0-25287400-1375424246_thumb.jpg

post-80849-0-25831400-1375424274_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 4

Oh I have the same starfish. I've noticed, you only have room for more corals on the far right island. What's the plan?

Oh I have the same starfish. I've noticed, you only have room for more corals on the far right island. What's the plan?

Not sure yet, but my LFS has a nice shipment from California coming in tomorrow. Can't wait to see what they get.

Deleted User 4

Not sure yet, but my LFS has a nice shipment from California coming in tomorrow. Can't wait to see what they get.

Nice, looking forward to it.

Love the corals, is this the tank you have at school?

No it is not, the school tank is the Nuvo 16. This is the Nuvo 24 which I upgraded to about a week ago. I will begin working on the schools aquarium in a couple of weeks.

Can someone assist me with adding links to posts, moving pictures, placing my thread link on the bottom of my posts, etc...? Do I need to be on my computer to do so? I usually use my ipad to log onto nano reef.com. Do I insert a hyperlink? Don't laugh, I am still new to forums and posting. This is my first forum ever. Really enjoying the interactions, just want to get more technical like others. Any information would be appreciated.

Sweet looking tank. fwiw I've had luck with cherub angels in the past.

Thank you. I have been keeping an eye on a cherub angel that my LFS has had for over a month. It looks really healthy, is eating, and does not seem to be harassing other fish. They have it in a 30 gallon so it should be adjusted to the aquarium dimensions. Definitely a fish to consider but I do not think I have the courage to do it.

post-80849-0-65610100-1375450209_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 4

Can someone assist me with adding links to posts, moving pictures, placing my thread link on the bottom of my posts, etc...? Do I need to be on my computer to do so? I usually use my ipad to log onto nano reef.com. Do I insert a hyperlink? Don't laugh, I am still new to forums and posting. This is my first forum ever. Really enjoying the interactions, just want to get more technical like others. Any information would be appreciated.

Lol. You mean signature link at the bottom? Just go to settings and on the side there's signature for you to edit.

Archived