SaltCritters.com

Zenreefer's Nuvo 8g

zenreefer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, with the stock lights I'm really not getting a sharp contrasted lightning like I have seen with upgraded lights on different tanks. Indeed, some of my corals are thriving, but others (I think SPS) could get way more. The Nano box reef also allows me to have a sunrise & sunset, full spectrum lights (looks awesome), better growth, etc.

I'll post some updates when I get it for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My tank is still running and going well!

I've been extremely busy with school and work this semester and I sadly couldn't keep up with taking pictures of my tank and even doing my weekly W/C.

A month ago things were looking bad, so I started to clean up my tank alot more, do 5days w/c, adjust my lightning better, etc etc etc..

Now the tank is looking really really nice. I've added a couple of corals, I also have a starfish (and one that's hitchiked its way in my tank!), a new light and a mp10.

I'll be posting some pictures this week!!! :) Sorry guys for not keeping you updated :(

Wow.... I didn't think I would like the white background, but that is really nice looking! Now you've got me thinking...

More pics please. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, it's been way too long. I am really sorry that this thread died for a couple of months… I had lots to do!

So here I am, home, taking pills because I got my 4 wisdom teeth removed! Time for some pictures and details!

So, end of august: I finally received my nanobox light and my mp10. I'm like a little kid thinking that these are the 2 missing ingredients of a successful reef… and…. I went way too fast. Didn't wait long enough for light acclim and ended up bleaching some corals. It took me a couple of weeks to get it and, well, I lost 2 SPS and my hammer is still recovering and looking like crap. Anyways. I'm extremely happy with my light now that I understand how to use it. It looks so awesome and it's exactly what I wanted. The MP10 might be a bit of an overkill but since I want to upgrade this tank one day… why not… And it gives some crazy flow that the stock pump of the Nuvo can't really replicate. I leave it at 3 (dots out of all the dots) on reef crest.

Meanwhile my goby is still happy with his shrimp, I have a new starfish and even a starfish hitchhiker. I also found some baby snails, some pods and other things. I recently discovered that my "feather dusters" were aptaisia, so today I started injecting them with lemon juice. I've been running this tank with basically no filtration (IM pads and carbon), so I've got a intank basket and chemipure/seachem coming my way. I've reduced my lightning by more than a half to help my corals adapt and to find a "sweet spot" in my lightning output.

My aquarium is now 3 or 4 months old and I'm still figuring things out everyday. I really wish I could get some strong coral growth but I think that I should just give some good time and care to my tank and let things grow by themselves.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. I'll continue to update this thread each couple of weeks (I promess!!!) :)

Fat shrooms, before new lights

7DmEoTH.jpg

D5Ho2kP.jpg

Yay birthday gift from me to me

QCXyRoJ.jpg

H9zcZDb.jpg

PPynWCG.jpg

AguP01e.jpg

ljMhZ20.jpg

7Uomwaf.jpg

I played with corals placement because they were not happy

BSjc1MT.jpg

J2bnTzT.jpg

O63SJud.jpg

Goniopora… impossible to keep happy ?

QCnQnfh.jpg

The MP10 is on like 20% off the time

Rdeqmfz.jpg

FMDYlzT.jpg

You can see the starfish on the right side...

D1uEjjl.jpg

Today my place looks like this with the tank

r9Tco0q.jpg

That's pretty much it! Stay tuned for… better water quality, happy corals & new stuff! <3

WOW!! I must say.......your tank rocks!! Everything looks so great, STELLER REEF!!! Go you!!

Thanks, hopefully everything will stabilizes itself soon and I will be able to dose a a little to really give a boost to my tank.

I'm planning on maybe changing what I feed my corals, and adding some sort of Cal/alk/Mg/iodine dosing for the corals. I'll need to test alot first. ;-)

Meanwhile I'm already thinking about getting a bigger tank for the living room and maybe moving this one in the kitchen… The move could happen this summer, who knows. I'm looking into 34 solanas, 25 Mr Aquas, 30 rimless JBJ, or even a custom 25-30g Pico…

duncan-junkie

I know what you mean, I have a 29gal biocube and I'm in the middle of a bigger tank build.....60gal Everyone told me to get a bigger tank, but I had no Idea how addictive the hobby was.......I'm smarter now, and understand what they were trying to tell me. I figure 60gal should hold me over for at least a year LMAO!!

I know what you mean, I have a 29gal biocube and I'm in the middle of a bigger tank build.....60gal Everyone told me to get a bigger tank, but I had no Idea how addictive the hobby was.......I'm smarter now, and understand what they were trying to tell me. I figure 60gal should hold me over for at least a year LMAO!!

Yeah, the bigger the longer it should last you! ;) 8 is definitely verrryyy small.

So I rescaped my tank into 1 big structure because it was a real pain to clean and place corals (everything was unstable anyways).

Now everything looks cleaner and better. I just also added a red monti cap, a two headed pink-green ricordea and a clove polyp that won't open (why?? I dip everything lightly and acclimate properly :(… anyways). I also got my intank basket, my chemi-pure elite, my purigen, my scraper and my candies. SO, here's a very pretty photo dump. :)

Oh, and I tested everything for my LFS:

Cal: 370 ppm

Alk: 7.2
Mag: 915 ppm
Nitrite et Ammoniac: 0
Phos: 0.08
Nitrate: 0.25-0.00
Temp: 76
Salt 1.025
I might need to start dosing one day…
Enjoy (some pictures are from before the re-scape though…)

PKC1Cxe.jpg

CzVNOnJ.jpg

V0RAHBX.jpg

ngdyPX1.jpg

Po6ZtPF.jpg

8gWxCIj.jpg

BfJwO0M.jpg

L5j3p00.jpg

Pzk1Xi1.jpg

qTWWQqq.jpg

4b3E7HO.jpg

gvPIGwe.jpg

U1iJ64e.jpg

gy5Q50P.jpg

6qdJoTw.jpg

3Q1uEU6.jpg

My Ca, Mag and Alk levels being low I'm begining to wonder if it's why...

a) My deepwater japan zoa don't open

b ) My goniopora doesn't open

c) My acan died weirdly (after browning and bleaching him with too much light)

Oh well. I bet some some dosing would help because I think I have too much corals/water volum and nutrients.

duncan-junkie

Sounds like you need to dose some mag. BRS has some great 2 part dosing kits, I use it myself.....its helped my tank stabilize alot!! Its cheap as hell too, like $20....and you can dose it by hand if you dont wanna invest in one of their electronic dosers. Your one clown with the dot on its back is cool, very unique, and I dig it! BTW, your new scape is bada$$, and the red monti cap is beautiful, it deep red color really catches your eyes.

I also forgot to mention, the BRS 2 part has cal, mag, and alk......so that should help you fix that problem, they also have a calculator on their website that tells you exactly how much of each part to add, to achieve the desired levels you want.

duncan-junkie

And if you dont wanna dose, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix is great, it has elevated levels of cal, mag, alk......and since your tank is so small, I bet if you just switched to that brand, you wouldn't have low levels. I'm not a sales man either.....LOL, but both of these products have worked for me, so I figured I would share my findings :P

Awesome, I'll look into these right now! I'm using Royal Nature advanced formula (?) right now. It might help to change my brand, yep. I'm actually close to finishing this bag so… ;)

And as for dosing manually that sounds good. I really think I should that very soon… Thanks for the input!

Oh, and LED Group Buy (http://ledgroupbuy.com) is doing a contest for 150$ giveaway… see: https://www.facebook.com/LEDGroupBuy?sk=app_228910107186452

:)

Your tank is gorgeous! I am slightly jealous (fellow Nuvo 8 owner) - makes me want to get my a** in gear.

Great tank mate.

- Kevin

Your tank is gorgeous! I am slightly jealous (fellow Nuvo 8 owner) - makes me want to get my a** in gear.

Great tank mate.

- Kevin

Hehe, thanks alot man!

Honestly, if you want to get a nice tank just give it alot of time, patience, love, and a new light!

The Nuvo doesn't really need the mp10 (you can upgrade to the MJ900 or something), so the only big upgrade is a new light fixture. Add to this the basket from intank and a couple of other things and you're set. :)

looks lovely, your gsp looks massive lol :)

Hey thanks alot! Yeah my GSP' pretty cool, one of my oldest corals (just like everyone… haha).

If you ever hear about some cheap frags sales or meet-ups around Mtl send me a PM, I'm still pretty new to Mtl's reef scene. Cheers!

me too actually. Keep watching kijiji under saltwater, an sometimes you'll see someone selling or breaking a tank down. I usually go to planet mer on Sauve, Jenny Trong is pretty good and prices are fair. Raging reef is good but kind of pricey.

me too actually. Keep watching kijiji under saltwater, an sometimes you'll see someone selling or breaking a tank down. I usually go to planet mer on Sauve, Jenny Trong is pretty good and prices are fair. Raging reef is good but kind of pricey.

Yeah I always went to Raging Reef (bought everything there in fact). I'll go see Planet Mer soon... cause I need cheap frags ^_^

And yes, I keep monitoring kijiji too but rarely find anything nice...

Archived