SaltCritters.com

Zenreefer's Nuvo 8g

zenreefer

RESCAPED'

PKC1Cxe.jpg

UPDATED FTS (9/11/13, roughly 3months after staring the tank)

D1uEjjl.jpg

Hi guys, I am new to saltwater aquariums, but I've been reading different websites (especially NR) about the hobby for a few months now. I'm a student going to Uni that just moved in his first appartement. I wanted something new and different to keep me entertain and to decorate my new space... After looking at jellyfish tanks I realized that I could probably setup a saltwater tank for around 400$. That quickly changed to 1000$+ but whatever, I joined the hobby a month ago.

I bought myself a Nuvo 8G IM (white) after looking at Picos, Biocubes, etc. I bought it here at one of the LFS (www.ragingreef.com) where I now go to get all my tank thingies. Now that I have it I really like it :)

It's silent, very nicely designed and I think it's the perfect tank for someone who's just starting but can't spend over 500$ for a tank and another 500$ for livestock, etc etc. I wanted to keep my budget under 1k at least for the first months, which nearly happened.

I use Manado rock from the LFS (it's actually a rock he discovered in Bali, and he's the only one who gets it in north america… sounds fishy to me.. but whatever, it looks awesome and it's full of purple, blue, green and orange coraline). I initially put 2 small rock and a huge structure which took all the space. I changed that a few days later to something alot more spaced for future corals and fish space. I don't regret my choice. It went from nearly 10lbs of LR to something around 6. I putted some rumble in my rear chamber but I'm not sure it's such a great idea on the long run… I'll have to look into that.

I also use around 7lbs of Aragonite sand. Looks good, does the job. I initially wanted black sand… I might change one day who knows. For now, though, it's white. It's also better to hide detritus.

My clean-up crew consists of 2 Sand sifting snail, 2 glass/sand/rock munchers, 4 small blue legged hermits and 1 red legged hermit (halloween). My water is my LFS' water + RO/DI top-offs. I use a fan because it got f***ng hot here in Montreal in the last couple of weeks. I'm talking around 30 to 40C degrees. My tank was around 92 fahrenheit before the CUC, without the glass top. -_- Now it's staying at 78-80ish all day because it not as hot and I got some blinds (as I said.. I just moved in). The fan I use is a USB fan called "Cool Breeze".

After 2 weeks of cycling the water (it was already cycled water from the LFS' main tanks) and adding the CUC, I recently added 2 coral frags (GSP and Hammer) and a pair of Picasso clownfishes. I feed em twice a day.

I also wanted to change the lightning, so I ordered a Nano Box Reef Tide full spectrum w/ gooseneck & controller to upgrade it. I should receive it for mid-august. It's definitely gonna rock!

Here are some pictures...

Initial setup with alot of rock..

BTvo8kr.jpg

Changed for more space... the sand hasn't settled yet.

mpb8wNv.jpg

Side view

MJws3gs.jpg

With corals and fishes, their first hour

UWvIfXg.jpg

86wJIEo.jpg

They're called Bob & Marley. Grade A picasso clowns. The female has a "S" shape on her side and the mal has a dot... pretty cool if you ask me.

bMCdrQp.jpg

mbOK6S6.jpg

aMoOcJf.jpg

Uu0vOz5.jpg

So... that's it. I'll post more pictures when I get new corals. I'll try to put some new tonight, I relocalized my hammer and GSP and they're both opening up alot. With my new light coming soon it's going to be very nice... stay tuned!

Cheers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's some more shots from yesterday...

The hammer is opening up nicely and getting better everyday, just like the GSP.

wcxbD9h.jpg

Tmwfg2p.jpg

Oh... and I found this little man! I saw another on the top of my rock too... they are feather dusters right? Pretty cool. (He's on the little rock in the middle)

KodmZRk.jpg

I'm going to the LFS tomorrow probably... so I should have new things :)

I love it too! Really worth it... I can already see some coraline algae forming itself.

Polarcollision

Love your scape! The rock has fantastic lines. This one has lots of potential to become a work of art already.

I'm a huge fan of GSP, but am quickly learning why it is considered a weed. That stuff grows like crazy and I'm having to peel it back every month. If I didn't love it's look so much, I'd be tossing the whole rock. LOL

whysoserious

Agreed with the rest on scaping, very nice. I could see one branch for a particular coral and then another type. Mix.

The entire setup is looking clean and love the clowns! Had a pair myself.

Thanks alot for the positive comments guys! I, too, really enjoy the scape I ended up with. :)

Sadly today another of my hermit crab died... The salinity and temp is good, but now the nitrates are little high (3 ppm in the low range. I have the red sea algae test and I don't understand the high range/low range thing but.. whatever..) :S

The clowns are discovering new parts of the tank and being a bit more social every day. Under the light they look incredible!

About the GSP, I think I will put it in a pico tank (like a JBJ 3g...) with a goby or something. I figured that if I change my lights I could put the 2 Skye LED on the pico and it'd look nice in my bedroom or kitchen. I don't know yet..

I'll be back with pictures soon! And maybe corals! lol..

;)

Some little updates!

My GSP was closed so I decided to give a bit more light and flow, although the spot doesn't look as good as the previous one I think I'll leave it there. My hammer is still going very well and my 2 clowns too.

What's new:

I got a double frogspawn + xenia hitchhiker frag at the LFS, a orange zoanthid (someone can identify?), a blue/purple mushroom and a Hi Fin red branded goby with his shrimp (they're already matched.)

The clowns have noticed the goby and don't seem to mind. They also don't care so much about corals and won't host anything. The goby is eating and looks really awesome. I'm glad I got him! He's named Pepito ;) He lives in the caves under the rocks that his shrimpmate has created. It's pretty awesome haha!

I managed to get some pictures this morning after feeding, here's what it looks like:

10HWiFz.jpg

8xd3WE1.jpg

FqnVxBZ.jpg

M37Snys.jpg

XBzO289.jpg

WtlYRrq.jpg

8esRlD8.jpg

:)

Agree with everyone else. Love the rock scape and your choices of livestock. I would highly suggest the spin stream as a simple modification to increase overall flow to your aquarium. The cost is around $30 and it is simple to install. I have 2 on my Nuvo 24 and it makes a great difference in adding random water flow. I have not experienced the noise that some others have experienced. My Nuvo 24 is in my bedroom and can only hear splashing of water at the surface. Only downside is that you may have to clean your glass top more frequently as the splashing causes a little salt creep that forms on the glass lid.

Thanks again for the comments :) I'm happy that everything looks healthy... I am still worried about the fact that something will go wrong one day... ;)

For flow, you are right... I'll need to improve it! I didn't get the spinstream because of the noise issues and I thought I would eventually get a Hydor pump or a MP10 (which is pricy and will/might be a overkill...). I'll see it if I can order the spinstream or get it at my LFS ! :)

Have a good day guys!

Polarcollision

Thanks again for the comments :) I'm happy that everything looks healthy... I am still worried about the fact that something will go wrong one day... ;)

For flow, you are right... I'll need to improve it! I didn't get the spinstream because of the noise issues and I thought I would eventually get a Hydor pump or a MP10 (which is pricy and will/might be a overkill...). I'll see it if I can order the spinstream or get it at my LFS ! :)

Have a good day guys!

Ah! Now I'm putting your avatar and rockscape together. Sill lovin it!

You know, something will go wrong. Always does. The great thing about this community is that there are answers and plenty of people willing to give advice to turn it around until the day you become an expert reefkeeper too. :-)

Ah! Now I'm putting your avatar and rockscape together. Sill lovin it!

You know, something will go wrong. Always does. The great thing about this community is that there are answers and plenty of people willing to give advice to turn it around until the day you become an expert reefkeeper too. :-)

Hehe.. I knew you posted in my thread!

Yeah I can't wait for you guys to help me when I'll be in deep ****... !!

On another note I started to notice some copepods on my glass but everything is looking healthy. My new light is coming around next week! woohoo

Sadly today another of my hermit crab died... The salinity and temp is good, but now the nitrates are little high (3 ppm in the low range. I have the red sea algae test and I don't understand the high range/low range thing but.. whatever..) :S

The high and low range on the kit allow it to be more accurate. The low range only affectively tests to 5 ppm Nitrate - above that and it will turn a color that's off the color wheel so it won't mean anything to you. If that's the case then you dilute the saltwater in the aquarium with RO water and test again - when it's diluted the colors on the color wheel indicate different levels than the low range allowing you to test to a higher Nitrate level.

I have the same kit and haven't needed to use the high range test yet.

Great tank! I suggest picking up a 5 dollar digital thermometer instead of that glass one. I have both and the glass ones are really a pain to read. Plus you can stick the temp probe in the back chamber for the digi one. Check amazon for cheap ones - I have like 5 of them now lol

Polarcollision

Thinking about those hermits: they might not have enough algae or other food yet as your rocks look very clean to me.

Your clowns are so cute swimming together. :-) You know something silly stupid? My clown hosted the back corner of the aquarium for half a year. I dunno, guess she had a thing for glass... And then I fragged the zoas. Next day she left her glass corner boyfriend and has been all over the zoas.

I picked up one of those stick-on thermometer strips. I'm sure it's not accurate to a degree, but it's a nice backup to the reefkeeper temp probe.

Lots of good suggestions there..

I'll try to figure out the test kit on my next water testing session, maybe get some digital temp readers and a strip too.

Anyways, now for the fun part: I've got new corals:

Pink Montipora

Deepwater japan zoas

Pink Birdsnest

Also, my hammer has gone from 3 heads to 5 and is currently getting bigger and bigger each day! My GSP has reopened today while my mushroom has closed. My zoas are not fully extended like I'd like them to be and I hope the new light will help. I'm seriously looking into changing my pump to a MJ900 or MP10 or Hydor something... I don't know yet.

Everything looks great and healthy and I hope it's gonna stay like that! :)

wFo2A6s.jpg

XqNYjiL.jpg

KsrCnk9.jpg

hDs6Q3Q.jpg

33dd9JZ.jpg

itsdUCI.jpg

G2EhPnN.jpg

q6FJNma.jpg

RJsmvOl.jpg

:) :)

Like the contrasting color of the red goniopora and the green frogspawn. Each of the corals placed on the rocks looks very natural. Your star polyps will be growing all the way down your rock in no time and your acro is placed perfectly. I really like your clown fish but worry that they will try to use your frogspawn as a surrogate and keep it from fully opening. Are you finding issues with this? I owned a pair that battered a hammer coral to death.

Thanks alot :)

My clownfishes haven't really hosted anything except the back wall and my mag float times to times, so my corals are all good. I once saw them try the frogspawn though, and the coral didn't like it, but it'll survive haha. I really wish my clownfishes could start hosting something, actually. Heh.

Archived