Cultivated Reef

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

Looking good, I've got the 8 gallon version.

I have a beautiful multicolored BTA in my 8g tank and my black ice clown sleeps in it every night.

I'd recommend going with a few maxi jet return pumps over the stock ones and add in the spin streams.

I have the maxi jet 900 with the spinstream plus 2 of the koralia 425's in my 8g and its just barley enough flow.

Check out the link below for my build.vvv

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to add the spinstreams but i've heard so many reviews about how loud it is. The tank is going to be right next to my computer and I don't want some annoying noise when i'm sitting there.

I have 2 spinstreams on my Nuvo 24 and have no problem with noise. My aquarium is in my bedroom 3 feet from where I sleep. The only noise I hear is the splashing of water they make when rotating towards the surface. It's quite relaxing actually.

BRS is taking forever to ship my Dry Rock and RO/DI. Ordered on Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped. WTF? Anyway... tank will be here Tuesday.

Shipping delays can be irritating. Ordered a part for my car 4 weeks ago and it still has not arrived. Been contacting the vendor with no reply. Hope to get it soon.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures when things arrive.

Just got my Tunze 9002 Skimmer and InTank Cup today. The cup doesn't seem to rest very solidly on the skimmer. It falls over very easily as it is just resting on the end of the pipe going into the cup. I think the pipe may be too long on mine? Should the cup's buttom be resting on the rim of the skimmer? Mine is a few mm higher and thats what causes it to fall over. Is this going to be a problem? Anyone have similar experience?

Tank is here! No RO/DI yet tho cause BRS dropped the ball - order still hasn't shipped. Going to have to make trips to my LFS for water (3 minutes away lol).

Already cut the back vinyl off so you can see the filter area.

Edit: Tank filled! (Light stand is likely temporary - planning on running cables from ceiling)

My pump appears to have sprung a leak on the fitting right on top of it. I'll be giving IM a call this afternoon to see if that is fixable. Still moves a ton of water.

DjdNaCO.jpgk11db0e.jpgTRmEWrJ.jpgUBCz4Ce.jpg

Looking good. Any word on the pump leak from IM? They have been excellent with customer service in the past. I know the issue will be resolved quickly. Looking forward to more news and pics.

My biggest issue right now is that when i crank that LED light up, my breaker trips. I don't think i'm near the load limit but I may be. It appears both bedrooms in my Apt are fed into one AFCI 20amp breaker. The light fixture may be doing something wierd to the power upstream that is tripping the AFCI but it could just also be that I am overloading the circuit. This kind of really sucks because I don't have a real way to move things to another circuit. Going to talk to the apartment office and see if they can do some re-wiring for me.

Niceee.

I personally like the small nanoer tank better. Haha. Are you planning to keep that too?

Undecided so far. It may not survive as a reef tank tho, prob a quarantine tank.

My biggest issue right now is that when i crank that LED light up, my breaker trips. I don't think i'm near the load limit but I may be. It appears both bedrooms in my Apt are fed into one AFCI 20amp breaker. The light fixture may be doing something wierd to the power upstream that is tripping the AFCI but it could just also be that I am overloading the circuit. This kind of really sucks because I don't have a real way to move things to another circuit. Going to talk to the apartment office and see if they can do some re-wiring for me.

Sorry to hear about the issue. LED's usually do not add a tremendous amount of load to the circuit. I'm interested to hear what is causing the problem. Went through something similar myself. Keep us posted

Sorry to hear about the issue. LED's usually do not add a tremendous amount of load to the circuit. I'm interested to hear what is causing the problem. Went through something similar myself. Keep us posted

Thats what is odd. The fixture is stated as 120w only but I would imagine plugging in the vacuum cleaner is well above that and that has never tripped the breaker. I think the problem lies with the AFCI getting freaked out by the crappy Chinese circuitry in this LED.

love the footprint of the 24

The Nuvo 24 is a great tank. Only wish it was just a bit deeper to allow for more creative rockscaping.

The Nuvo 24 is a great tank. Only wish it was just a bit deeper to allow for more creative rockscaping.
true by with a shallow tank one can Acheive a nice minimalistic look if they try
true by with a shallow tank one can Acheive a nice minimalistic look if they try

I have tried very hard and am pleased with my results. Love reef keeping and have to say that the Nuvo 24 is my favorite nano aquarium to this point.

I have tried very hard and am pleased with my results. Love reef keeping and have to say that the Nuvo 24 is my favorite nano aquarium to this point.

I have nothing but a few dry rocks in mine so far and I still love it. The size is so perfect.

Fixed the breaker issue. It was the light - switched the stupid AFCI breaker to a normal breaker and I now have no issues. If anyone is having issues with a breaker tripping in their home - check if it is AFCI. Sometimes they can be super sensitive.

Tank appears to have cycled in the first few days with the addition of BioSpira and some live rock rubble from my 4g. I have seen no spike in Ammonia or Nitrite and currently show 10ppm Nitrate. Right now the tank has a few pounds of live rock and about 25 pounds of live sand plus 3 snails. Diatoms have started to grow on the rock.

Dry rock will be here Thursday (finally) from BRS. Current plan is to do the aquascape Thursday and then start slowly moving over livestock/frags from the 4g.

Here's my wishlist on livestock:

Pink & Blue Spotted Goby OR Yasha Goby

Randall's Pistol Shrimp

Coral Beauty Angel OR Cherub Angelfish

Black and White Clownfish

Standard Ocelaris Clownfish (already in 4g tank)

Talbot's Damsel (already in 4g tank)

Green Chromis Damsel (maybe)

Bangaii Cardinalfish (maybe)

Purple Firefish Goby (maybe - may jump)

Cleaner Shrimp

2x Sexy Shrimp

Porcelain Crab (already in 4g tank)

Some hermits and some snails

Tank appears to have cycled in the first few days with the addition of BioSpira and some live rock rubble from my 4g. I have seen no spike in Ammonia or Nitrite and currently show 10ppm Nitrate. Right now the tank has a few pounds of live rock and about 25 pounds of live sand plus 3 snails. Diatoms have started to grow on the rock.

Dry rock will be here Thursday (finally) from BRS. Current plan is to do the aquascape Thursday and then start slowly moving over livestock/frags from the 4g.

Here's my wishlist on livestock:

Pink & Blue Spotted Goby OR Yasha Goby

Randall's Pistol Shrimp

Coral Beauty Angel OR Cherub Angelfish

Black and White Clownfish

Standard Ocelaris Clownfish (already in 4g tank)

Talbot's Damsel (already in 4g tank)

Green Chromis Damsel (maybe)

Bangaii Cardinalfish (maybe)

Purple Firefish Goby (maybe - may jump)

Cleaner Shrimp

2x Sexy Shrimp

Porcelain Crab (already in 4g tank)

Some hermits and some snails

Glad to hear that the tank is cycling well. Only fish on your list that I would be wary of are the angels.. It's really 50/50 whether they will pick at coral. As most sites suggest, add with caution. I have a beautiful Bangaii cardinal fish in my 220 gallon reef. He has grown rather large and has a great streamer on him. Swims around the aquarium very proudly. The issue with him is that he ate my equally beautiful cleaner shrimp. There is always the risk it can happen so be aware. Love the selection of the purple firefish and goby shrimp combo. Both these fish will burrow under rock in the sand bed so you would not have many active swimmers other than your clowns. Good luck with your selections.

Glad to hear that the tank is cycling well. Only fish on your list that I would be wary of are the angels.. It's really 50/50 whether they will pick at coral. As most sites suggest, add with caution. I have a beautiful Bangaii cardinal fish in my 220 gallon reef. He has grown rather large and has a great streamer on him. Swims around the aquarium very proudly. The issue with him is that he ate my equally beautiful cleaner shrimp. There is always the risk it can happen so be aware. Love the selection of the purple firefish and goby shrimp combo. Both these fish will burrow under rock in the sand bed so you would not have many active swimmers other than your clowns. Good luck with your selections.

Yeah I've read a good deal about the Angels. They are so damn pretty I think I'm going to take the chance and if it gets aggressive I will just take him back to the LFS. Thats part of the motivation behind the Coral Beauty vs the Flame - I have heard the Coral Beauty is less prone to coral snacking.

My only reservation on the Firefish is that it may jump out of the tank. I would prefer to leave the lid off this tank if I can as I think that makes for a much cleaner look.

Yeah I've read a good deal about the Angels. They are so damn pretty I think I'm going to take the chance and if it gets aggressive I will just take him back to the LFS. Thats part of the motivation behind the Coral Beauty vs the Flame - I have heard the Coral Beauty is less prone to coral snacking.

My only reservation on the Firefish is that it may jump out of the tank. I would prefer to leave the lid off this tank if I can as I think that makes for a much cleaner look.

All gobies are jumpers. So it's not only the firefish but also any sand dwelling goby you add. I lost my orange spotted shrimp goby 2 weeks ago when he jumped through one of the small holes on the Nuvo's glass top. Now what are the chances of that happening. You are taking a risk by leaving the lid off adding these fish.

I also took a risk by adding a potters angel to my 220 gallon. He has not touched any coral in 3 years so like I mentioned its hit or miss.

A few things happened today:

Put a Coral Beauty on Hold at the LFS.

Purchased some strip moonlight leds from ebay that ill be sticking on the LED fixture I have.

First USPS delivery of Zoas from Mstansbery came, unpackaged and all are in tank/opened up.

Second USPS delivery of Zoas/Acans/a Duncan/a Hammer from Ebay has still not been delivered. Thinking USPS may have dropped the ball on this package. Scheduled delivery was 3pm and it is now 7pm. Grrrr. Tracking link for shenanigans is here.

Tank is still holding at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 ppm Nitrate. Have 3 snails and a hermit in it doing just fine. Still waiting on Thursday for the dry rock from BRS before I can start to shuffle some of the hardy fish/coral over slowly from my 4gallon Nuvo.

Archived