Coral Vue Hydros

Dafil`s first reef -0.8 g SPS dominated pico

dafil

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looked like the older shot from weeks ago just wondering about today's fts

Worthy totm that was expected!! Really nice

A great test exists for pico reef science here, methods that get a sub gallon pico out to 18 mos are on tight restriction, considering how many threads exist showing it

For dafil to reach and ascend past the predicted 12 mos algae test is a big deal. Just wanting a cell shot from now for example to see how he beat it, others draw from that for sure!

So, I know your general maintenance routine, but I was wondering what else you did? As in, what do you run in your canister filter, do you vacuum the sand bed at all? Do you clean the canister?

Hi,guys,

and thank you again!

I replace the piece of sponge(mech.filtration) in canister every 1-2 months or when I see current goes down.

The picture from months reef profile is from last week.

I have some cyano issues on stylophora coral and sand(2-3 spots)-fighting them with tooth brush weekly and slightly vacuum the sand.

Feeding is 2 times /week.

Still not testing.

Wait, so you feed the coral too? Other than the Reef Foundation A/B/C, I mean. What do you feed?

In the canister filter, is there only the sponge or do you have chemical filtration, too?

Do you have a link to the actual aquarium?

I think I don`t understand you - what actual aquarium?

these are the pics of my tank from last week :)

Wait, so you feed the coral too? Other than the Reef Foundation A/B/C, I mean. What do you feed?

In the canister filter, is there only the sponge or do you have chemical filtration, too?

Week ago I saw this cyano.May be I have a lack of nitrates.So I`ve decided to double the food.In the canister are sponge and live rocks.No chemical filtration.Food is Tropic Marin Zooton and some kind of rotifers.On the tip of a knife.

Yea that does sound confusing. I meant is there a site where you bought the aquarium? The actual glass box haha.

it is DIY

I'm really impressed by your pico, now I want to experiment with a 2gal pico next. The tank will be 20x20x20cm cube, im still thinking if I should go All-In-One diy or AC20 hang on back filter and have more space in the tank. Any suggestion?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

OK-it is decided-I will rescape may be tomorrow and will stay only with zoas.

No more dayly dosing :lol: . weekly water change only!!

Thank you!

OK-it is decided-I will rescape may be tomorrow and will stay only with zoas.

No more dayly dosing :lol: . weekly water change only!!

Sounds good be sure to get photos :D

SPS will go to a member of our local reef forum.Larger reef-100g :)

Why confused ??I like to change my scapes.None of my fw was older than 1year.

No reason why you can't change up every yr. It's your tank and you can experience all different sides of the saltwater coral industry.

• 1 month later...

Hello, a couple questions about your 100% water change process:

I'm new to the Saltwater tanks (currently have a 75G FW fish and 15G FW Shrimp tanks) and purchased a 2G tank recently and set it up for saltwater.

About your water change, I am assuming that you are mixing up 1G of saltwater and getting it to the right temp and salinity before you do the change , correct? I'm also assuming you have 2 buckets ready, 1 with the new saltwater that's been mixed and brought up to temp and 1 bucket for the old water? Or do you have a larger amount of water that you're premixing, say 5 Gallons for the month (for water changes and to add for evaporation?)

How are you physically getting the water in/out of the tank? Are you using a syphon of some sort to get the old water out (as opposed to picking the tank up and overturning it?

Same for your process to add the water? Are you pouring it in slowly by tipping the bucket or are you using a pump/syphon to add the water into your tank?

I'm just trying to see if I can mirror your process, since it seems to be working.

You are right.I am mixing ~ 1G(3L) of saltwater and getting it to the right temp and salinity before the water change.I have 2 buckets ready.

physically getting the water out of the tank is due 1/3" siphon.Adding water is with jug.Slowly.On the highest rocks in the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

You are right.I am mixing ~ 1G(3L) of saltwater and getting it to the right temp and salinity before the water change.I have 2 buckets ready.

physically getting the water out of the tank is due 1/3" siphon.Adding water is with jug.Slowly.On the highest rocks in the tank.

any updates?

this is an incredible little tank :)

• 4 months later...

Work in progress -build in a heater and entrance for aditional O2

drilled_zps1b2781ff.jpg

3in1_zpsf0ccb06b.jpg

Next weekend-time for scaping :D

I tried putting a heater inside the canister filter via the plug just like you did and sealed it up with aquarium silicone glue. The silicone glue failed, even when using a lot of silicone glue.

What did you use to seal around the heater wire?

Also, can you explain more about the O2 holes you drilled on the side of the filter? Do you have two holes on the side? How did you seal those holes up so that it doesn't leaK? And is it connect to an air pump?

I'd love to see a picture of your canister filter in action.

Any updates on the tank itself?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

two weeks without the pico-retired it :)

There is locktite glue gel around the heater wire.The Silicone is over it.

There is just one hole for O2.From the inner side of the canister there is silicone air tube around this yellow airline straight connector.Seals just perfect ;)

And YES-it is connect to an air pump.

I`ll start new tank at fall but it will be fresh one.

Archived