Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dafil`s first reef -0.8 g SPS dominated pico

dafil

For being 7 months old,this thing looks absolutely amazing !!! Congrats on keeping this thing up !!

How's the planted tank doing,do you have a thread anywhere or pictures of it ?

thanks!

planted is going well but still on dry start.

no pictures so far

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting tank, I have several questions.

First of all why did you decide to start with a tank this small? I mean a nano is one thing, even a 5 gallon pico as a first tank, but for a tank this size you are starting with frags of frags to get them to fit (good work on getting them to grow btw).

I have a 2 gallon pico myself, but also have 100x the water volume in other tanks, and to be honest the pico tank is the one I'm most happy with but I can't imagine it being my only tank.

Do you vaccum the sandbed?

How often do you do water changes and what do you dose if anything? How long do you plan on keeping this tank running?

Interesting tank, I have several questions.

First of all why did you decide to start with a tank this small? I mean a nano is one thing, even a 5 gallon pico as a first tank, but for a tank this size you are starting with frags of frags to get them to fit (good work on getting them to grow btw).

I have a 2 gallon pico myself, but also have 100x the water volume in other tanks, and to be honest the pico tank is the one I'm most happy with but I can't imagine it being my only tank.

Do you vaccum the sandbed?

How often do you do water changes and what do you dose if anything? How long do you plan on keeping this tank running?

1- $-there is no need of sun blast light,mp,skimmer or reactor.

2- I do not vacuum.

3- 100% water change per week. Every day-5 drops Red Sea B,7 drops Red Sea A,7 drops Red Sea C.

How long-i really dont know :)

1- $-there is no need of sun blast light,mp,skimmer or reactor.

2- I do not vacuum.

3- 100% water change per week. Every day-5 drops Red Sea B,7 drops Red Sea A,7 drops Red Sea C.

How long-i really dont know :)

Pico's most often crash within the first year due to the buildup of nutrients. your 100% water changes are perfect.

I totally agree its totm. There is no biological limit to how long your tank can live with no hassle sandbed and the feeding/water changes you do, atypical care methods make all the difference in lifespan. Simply repeating what you do can have the tank live as many years as it takes the sps to fill it up or as many years as the hardware runs reliably.

At the size your tank is, when it hits one year old thats like a two gallon tank being over two years old its awesome man.

Summertime totm I nominate.

You've hit an amazing and lucky tune with this tank don't ever let even a single tuft of algae exist it would be heartbreaking!

indeed-I am a lucky man!

...or this is a big pros for 100% WC ;)

and the algae will still come only you way better off than most :)

you missed the early phase

nothing stops the incursion of a little bryopsis, a little red gelidium or a little gha, just matter of time. If you have focused eyes pointed at your tank and are ready to take action then it wont matter. its those who delay that get the headaches lol

hey during your 100% water changes you will notice something neat. at first you are draining and refilling quick, avoid the stress. then one day you'll take an extra min just cuz something comes up

then one time a real distraction comes up (mine was knock at the door right after drain) and you'll forget to refill for 5 mins and panic sets in, but they survive, everything.

then you just get crazy and test it, 15 mins drained, still ok :)

watch, its coming I know it seems crazy but its coming lol. I do 15 mins commonly on my pico with similar corals. If someone made me bet, I truly think it can do half an hour or more, including the many lps. sitting there, in air, for half an hour. Id fill the pico back up, wait a day, and bam nothing has changed including all benthic life on the rock.

But we'll see 17 web threads in the interim where someone brought home live rock WET in a bag and still tested .25 ammonia for three weeks :)

pico reef water changes call directly into question outdated reefing tenets that may indeed be totally wrong and it took something small to prove it. your tank is awesome so happy for you Im color jealous.

i know it sounds crazy, but if you drained your whole tank empty and left it for 15 mins right now, with no tuning or warm up, it will all survive, you are using corals adapted to tidal zones so no prob. Id have to say a fish might not like it though heh

even my coral banded shrimp and boxer crab did these 15-20 min emersions, hundreds of times.

Thank you!

Things happens,algae happens..so what :) .This will not be a normal if they did not.

Of course there is algae.but they are minimum.

I am a fan of big WC.They were at least 50% in my planted tanks.

This reef is an experiment of a tiny pico with canister filter-made you laugh- right :lol:

So far so good-wish me a luck!

This will not be the same reef if it was not the nano reef forum :)

Archived