Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dafil`s first reef -0.8 g SPS dominated pico

dafil

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maxi-mini anemones?

max size 5+ inches-way too much for this pico(7,1x5,1x5,1)

I have no patient and bought this morning zoas,trumpet and tiny ricordea?(3-5 bubbles")

Pics-when I place them where I want.They are already open :D

The guy make me a gift-1/2inch seriatopora branch and tiny red montipora(1/2 inch)They already looks better than in his tank :)

for lps one of your best options is blasto merletti. it has smallish polyps. I'm going to try to get a couple of merletti for my vase.

you can do palythoa too. those can look nice. most soft corals grow large and/or will overtake the rocks quickly. maybe try some smaller mushrooms? not rhodactis. those were big even for my 3gal pico I had...unless you blast them with light (but not enough to bleach) then the shrivel and take up less space.

yes that looks just like zoa pox. no set way to beat them, just have to try all the options people thought of. there is a thread about them in the disease and pest forum and Im sure google has some too. really nice tank, Id consider removing any zoas that show this symptom but thats only my opinion.

Your tank looks great! sorry to see the zoas sick. Zoanthids are some of my favorites and I always have a hard time with them for some reason. good luck and I hope you beat the zoa pox

bad news-my zoas did not open since 4 days! zoa pox may be??

zoapox__zps3adcddc3.jpg

zoapox1__zpsd77eb393.jpg

Yup, that looks like pox alright.

Couple options on dealing with it... most involve a dip in antibiotic-laced saltwater. Don't know your access to pharmacopeia but the method I've had the most luck with involve using one cephalexin 250mg tablet (sold as fish-flex or directly through veterinarian) to 4 cups salt water mixed to match the tank's salinity. Dip all affected zoas for 20-30 minutes once a day for as many days as it takes for the white lesions to disappear + 2.

You can also try the Furan-2 dip method outlined on zoaid.com. It also works in many cases, but in mine two or three full treatment cycles & the pox still kept coming back after 2-3 weeks remission.

EDIT: Should have said, "dip ALL zoa colonies", not just the ones affected.

You may also want to look into causes of zoa pox to prevent it later on.

I can not find solid opinions to what cause this-always written"may"

or i am missing something?Link?

EDIT: Should have said, "dip ALL zoa colonies", not just the ones affected.

the others are only closed-without white spots.

Thank you thesmallerthebetter

We never seemed to get much results from peroxide use on the pox I was meaning that stickied thread at the top of the pest forum about pox. My opinion is they are strict obligate hitchhikers and a tank can't just get them unless they are imported as active growths. Have heard good things about antibiotic dips as mentioned and for my tank I'd probably toss them into qt experimentation and maybe never back into the main tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Till now I made 100% WC weekly.But I noticed that the corals are not so open in first day after WC.May be I`ll stick to 50% WC.

any thoughts?

Archived