Cultivated Reef

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 4

sangheili

Just out of curiosity, what are you using as top off water? You shouldn't be using tap, top off needs to be RO. Unless your municipal water supply has some terrible chlorine/chloramines that you aren't treating for I doubt it would cause your livestock losses but it will definitely create an algae issue down the road. Although on the other hand, treating for chlorine/chloramine with a produce like Seachem Prime only puts them into a non-toxic state - the biological filter still has to convert the nitrogen contained in the ammonia/ammonium into nitrites and nitrates. So it's possible if you're constantly dumping tap into the tank you could be contributing to the nitrites/nitrates enough that your livestock aren't happy.

Been using RO/DI water from my LFS for my top off.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking I may want a crab down the road. What would you guys recommend between Porcelain Crab, Pom Pom crab, Emerald crab, and a Sally Lightfoot? I've read the Emerald Crab can be dangerous later on in their life so I think thats already out of the mix.

Porcelain crab for sure. The other three can cause damage to your reef. The emerald can pick on corals, especially zoos. As long as it has algae, especially bubble algae to eat, it could be ok? The Sally light foot can catch other small inverts and sedentary fish. I have seen Sally light foots catch and kill firefish. The Pom Pom can use its claws with anemones to sting other corals and inverts.

I have 2 porcelain crabs and they are completely safe and really cool to watch with their fan like structures trying to catch food particles. They can come in various colorations so look around. My crab list In order of purchase.

1. Porcelain and or anemone crabs

2. Emerald

3. Pom Pom

4. Sally light foot

Angel<3Nanos
Porcelain crab for sure. The other three can cause damage to your reef. The emerald can pick on corals, especially zoos. As long as it has algae, especially bubble algae to eat, it could be ok? The Sally light foot can catch other small inverts and sedentary fish. I have seen Sally light foots catch and kill firefish. The Pom Pom can use its claws with anemones to sting other corals and inverts. I have 2 porcelain crabs and they are completely safe and really cool to watch with their fan like structures trying to catch food particles. They can come in various colorations so look around. My crab list In order of purchase. 1. Porcelain and or anemone crabs 2. Emerald 3. Pom Pom 4. Sally light foot

I disagree on pom poms not being reef safe. I know tons of people who have kept them on reefs with great sucess.

I am in the search for one locally also.

its good to disagree. Many of us have different experiences with livestock and I have had or seen all of these crabs placed in reef aquariums. I have heard that some have had good experiences with Pom Pom crabs and some have not. I have been one who has not. My last post is from personal experience with each crab. Sometimes it just comes down to the personality of the particular fish or invert regardless of the information provided. There are always exceptions to the rule. I have a Sohal Tang that is as friendly as can be. It is in my larger reef aquarium with a black tang, blue tang, and several other reef fish. Never any aggression towards any of them.

If you are looking for the safest crab for a reef in the list which was provided, my opinion is the porcelain. Look up the information and see for yourself. Again, I speak from experience as my pom pom stung and injured a cleaner shrimp and 3 corals in my aquarium. I had Emeralds tear apart zoanthids and zenia, and a sally lightfoot which caught and killed firefish in their bolt holes. But just like I mentioned above, I may have had a bad seed. In the end you have to be happy with your purchase.

I disagree on pom poms not being reef safe. I know tons of people who have kept them on reefs with great sucess. I am in the search for one locally also.

If you see a Pom Pom or Porcelain in a Vegas shop let me know!

Got porcelains here in Chicago if you wouldn't mind the drive :). Never been to Vegas but always wanted to go. Maybe sometime in the near future. I will bring the crabs with me :)

Angel<3Nanos

If you see a Pom Pom or Porcelain in a Vegas shop let me know!

I will man! I haven't seen a pom pom yet, but I think blue reef Aquatics have porcelains. I'll have to double check lol

Have you added any frags yet? :)

I will man! I haven't seen a pom pom yet, but I think blue reef Aquatics have porcelains. I'll have to double check lol

Have you added any frags yet? :)

Not yet, but I saw a few I wanted today. Had to restrain myself - don't think my tank is ready yet. I made another purchase I couldn't hold myself back from tho - i'll share it next week :-)

Angel<3Nanos

Not yet, but I saw a few I wanted today. Had to restrain myself - don't think my tank is ready yet. I made another purchase I couldn't hold myself back from tho - i'll share it next week :-)

Lol alright sounds good.

Angel<3Nanos
Starting to look at larger Tanks. What do you guys think, an IM Nuvo 16 or an IM Micro 30?

Lol micro 30 ftw.

I was going to recommend the Nuvo 24 until I read your last post :) The 3 foot horizontal viewing and extra media compartment space is great. You will not be disappointed with this aquarium. I own the Nuvo 24, 2 different size IM minimax media reactors and the IM skimmer for this tank. If you have questions about these items please feel free to ask.

Now you will be able to get the clownfish you wanted originally :)

Just another suggestion, No Maroon Clowns. They get huge and very aggressive.

defender.TX

Just ordered a Nuvo 24... :lol:

You will not regret it! I absolutely love the 3 foot viewing area on mine. You can do some really cool aquascaping with it.

So here is the surprise from Friday.

E2i3ntP.jpg

I stopped at a few fish shops and one had these Clowns for $10 ea so I had to buy one. I was away for the weekend, just came back home and hes doing well. He didn't eat before I left but I fed him just now and he ate one small mysis shrimp (picky eater right now).

There it is, your clown. Very Nice! I have always enjoyed the Ocellaris and Percula species the best.

What type of screen do you have in front of the overflow? Looks like a great fit. I am looking to add a couple screens to the Nuvo 24 since my Neon Blue Goby and Tailspot Blenny could fit through the slots in the overflow.

There it is, your clown. Very Nice! I have always enjoyed the Ocellaris and Percula species the best.

What type of screen do you have in front of the overflow? Looks like a great fit. I am looking to add a couple screens to the Nuvo 24 since my Neon Blue Goby and Tailspot Blenny could fit through the slots in the overflow.

The screen is actually one of the shelves from the stock media basket. Its held in place with a binder clip.

Currently acclimating a Gold Coral Banded Shrimp and a Porcelain Crab!

Added a tiny Paly frag also. I'll take pics once they are all in the tank. The Porcelain Crab was a beautiful white in the store so hopefully he survives the process (the guy at the store was a little rough catching him since he was hiding in an anemone).

Archived