Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 4

sangheili

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously debating it right now. I want to add both a Yasha Goby and a small Clownfish but I fear it will be too much for this small tank. If thats the case I think i'd rather have the clownfish - much more entertaining with no threat of going missing for months at a time in a cave.

Angel<3Nanos

Actually a clownfish is too big even when its just a juvenile.

Imo I rather see a goby pair up with the pistol shrimp. You will always see it guarding the pistol cave! :)

defender.TX

As others have said a clownfish is just too big for this tank - even a juvenile. I have a 3 foot long tank and mine literally swim from side to side in a split second. They really can cover large distances.

I do not think you will regret it. The goby/shrimp combo is really fun and interesting to watch. If you want a little more color and movement I would suggest a nean blue goby and a red fire shrimp. The goby is small enough for your tank and will add a splash of blue. Only downside of the fire shrimp is that if you have corals which need feeding, this guy will most likely steal the food from it. If you will not be adding corals that need extra spot feeding than the shrimp will scavenge and eat any left over food in the tank. Just a thought. Keep those pics coming!

Angel<3Nanos

No I don't think neon gobies do. But the yasha will definitely do! :)

Actually, I think there's a yasha in Aquatic Treasures right now. I was down there with sonny getting some awesome mushrooms and I think I overheard someone asking the price of the yasha, but they didn't buy it becuase they left before I did.

Angel<3Nanos

Awesome! Now get some Nassarius snails! They are awesome! They bury themselves and then come out like zombies! Haha

Looks like one hermit crab died. Might have been my messed up salinity. I didn't pay enough attention when doing a water change the other day and the ATO added a bit of fresh water which dropped my salinity down to about 1.020. Dang. Hopefully it is just that and not a larger issue.

Angel<3Nanos
Looks like one hermit crab died. Might have been my messed up salinity. I didn't pay enough attention when doing a water change the other day and the ATO added a bit of fresh water which dropped my salinity down to about 1.020. Dang. Hopefully it is just that and not a larger issue.

How do you know it died? Maybe it molted? When they molt, it looks like a corpse. When hermits molt, they come out of their shell and hide for days. And all you see is the skin, but looks like a dead hermit.

Maybe wait a bit and see if it comes out again. They are pretty hardy.

Fingers crossed! :)

How do you know it died? Maybe it molted? When they molt, it looks like a corpse. When hermits molt, they come out of their shell and hide for days. And all you see is the skin, but looks like a dead hermit. Maybe wait a bit and see if it comes out again. They are pretty hardy. Fingers crossed! :)

His shell was upside down behind the rock and his legs were sticking out. Sprayed some water on him (he was under water) with the turkey baster and he didn't move. Pulled him out of the tank and he was lifeless in his shell. Wasn't a molting issue :-(

Angel<3Nanos

His shell was upside down behind the rock and his legs were sticking out. Sprayed some water on him (he was under water) with the turkey baster and he didn't move. Pulled him out of the tank and he was lifeless in his shell. Wasn't a molting issue :-(

Could actually still be a molt. Leave the shell by where you found it. Juat in case. Have a little bit of hope :)

defender.TX

Sometimes I see shells and think they died but then I'll see all 6 of them up on the rocks eating in a few days. Just see what happens - reef hermits are pretty hardy!

Did a one gallon water change yesterday and tested this morning. Looks like my alkalinity is coming down a lot. It was 14 and now its 11dkh. Ammonia has dropped in the last few days from 0.25 to nearly 0 (maybe 0.05). 0 Nitrite and about 5 nitrate. Salinity is also back up to 1.024. Things are looking good!

Uh oh. I think the pistol shrimp might be dead. I see him laying sideways in his hole under the rock and hes not moving at all even when I shine a light on him. My parameters seem good now but maybe I shocked him over the last few days.

Sorry to hear about the possible losses of your livestock. Definitely sounds like something is going on with your chemistry and water parameters. What kind of test kits are you using? What type of water and salt mix? Just trying to gather info to help with the situation. Temperature?

Sorry to hear about the possible losses of your livestock. Definitely sounds like something is going on with your chemistry and water parameters. What kind of test kits are you using? What type of water and salt mix? Just trying to gather info to help with the situation. Temperature?

Using API Reef Master and Saltwater Master. I took the water to a LFS and they came with the same results. Temp stays between 78 and 80. Original water was tap water + Instant Ocean but I have been using LFS Pre-mix since then (two 1 gallon water changes). As explained before, a few days ago I messed up and turned the ATO on when the tank was not quite full and my salinity dropped to about 1.020 - I think this may have been the problem. Also could have been the very high alkalinity up until a day or two ago. It was at 15dKH at one point!

I suppose it could have been the sudden drop in salinity. Might have shocked all the animals and you are now finding the shrimp. After all, this is a smaller aquarium and changes happen very quickly. Once again, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad to hear that all the parameters are back to normal.

I suppose it could have been the sudden drop in salinity. Might have shocked all the animals and you are now finding the shrimp. After all, this is a smaller aquarium and changes happen very quickly. Once again, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad to hear that all the parameters are back to normal.

Have to make mistakes to learn is how I see it. Took him out, he definitely was gone. Curiously he was missing his large claw. Nothing in the tank would have harassed him so that's kind of odd.

defender.TX

Original water was tap water + Instant Ocean but I have been using LFS Pre-mix since then (two 1 gallon water changes).

Just out of curiosity, what are you using as top off water? You shouldn't be using tap, top off needs to be RO. Unless your municipal water supply has some terrible chlorine/chloramines that you aren't treating for I doubt it would cause your livestock losses but it will definitely create an algae issue down the road. Although on the other hand, treating for chlorine/chloramine with a produce like Seachem Prime only puts them into a non-toxic state - the biological filter still has to convert the nitrogen contained in the ammonia/ammonium into nitrites and nitrates. So it's possible if you're constantly dumping tap into the tank you could be contributing to the nitrites/nitrates enough that your livestock aren't happy.

Archived