Coral Vue Hydros

...drilling...?

MR.FEESH

I'm going to be honest here. This is just plain embarrassing. But I'm really curious, and this has gone on long enough. I'm not new to salt water by any means, but I've only ever had an AIO tank. Here goes (please don't laugh...too hard):

What does it mean to "drill" a tank? What piece of equipment in your setup requires you to drill? Are you drilling a hole in the bottom, or the sides? Is it only one hole or a bunch? There aren't manufacturers that have caught on to the idea that a lot of people drill for whatever reason and thus offer tanks with appropriately pre-drilled configurations?

I feel like I should have known how to answer these questions years ago, but I've clearly never had the experience to know. Don't know anyone who has a drilled tank irl so I just never learned what all the fuss was about. Maybe someone can post a picture or diagram that shows what all the drilling needed for?

BeardedReeferLLC

Drilling a tank is basically stating your going to plumb it to a sump etc. Means your not going with HOB skimmers and or HOB overflow boxes on your DT.. But you can drill the back the side the bottom but just not into Tempered Glass.

This is an example of a drilled tank.

bQMwIg5.jpg

(Currently my 40B)

ihatesears18

it means you are putting a hole saw bit on a drill and making holes in your tank.

$%28KGrHqYOKjgE6SbG+imiBOoY7vkpPg~~60_35

there is typically one hole for the overflow to the sump, and one or more return holes.

That first picture is exactly what I was looking for. I had seen so many posts on this site where someone starts a tank thread and then 10 people shout "drill it!" and then the person drills it and the next picture they post is a FTS of the aquascape :mellow: haha Thanks for filling me in, both of ya

Archived