Cultivated Reef

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, my tank started with .......1,000 Aiptasia :angry: and tonight I'm hard pressed to find more than 3 or 4. I now have enough nudies that they occasionally blow off the rocks and float around the water column before heading down the overflow. I should take a look in the sump to see if any Aiptasia remains down there.... :huh:

DRLOVEtoreef

So, my tank started with .......1,000 Aiptasia :angry: and tonight I'm hard pressed to find more than 3 or 4. I now have enough nudies that they occasionally blow off the rocks and float around the water column before heading down the overflow. I should take a look in the sump to see if any Aiptasia remains down there.... :huh:

That is great ... how long ago did your order the nudi's??

That is great ... how long ago did your order the nudi's??

It's been about a month. I saw them only the first couple of nights. Then nothing. After about a week and a half I started noticing the Aiptasia didn't seem as thick (stuff was on EVERY square inch of my tank). The following week two or three of my big rocks were completely clean and Berghies were everywhere....day and night. A month in and my tank is spotless! They literally wiped out hundreds of them. Some were the size of quarters.

Sad to see them go, but they're off to another tank! Love these little guys, totally saved my tank as I was on the verge of tearing it down because of the Aiptasia.

1st class accommodations.

BerghiaGlenn.jpg

So it looks like 20 to 30 days before the berghia nudibranches are noticeable? I put 5 in my 40, but in different locations instead of all together. I've seen one crawling on the glass a few days later and that's been it. They've been in the tank since August 15th.

It's been about a month. I saw them only the first couple of nights. Then nothing. After about a week and a half I started noticing the Aiptasia didn't seem as thick (stuff was on EVERY square inch of my tank). The following week two or three of my big rocks were completely clean and Berghies were everywhere....day and night. A month in and my tank is spotless! They literally wiped out hundreds of them. Some were the size of quarters.

I learned to read. This was what I was looking for. :) Nice thread, following.

So it looks like 20 to 30 days before the berghia nudibranches are noticeable? I put 5 in my 40, but in different locations instead of all together. I've seen one crawling on the glass a few days later and that's been it. They've been in the tank since August 15th.

I learned to read. This was what I was looking for. :) Nice thread, following.

Thanks man! If you have any Berghia questions, fire away. I had a great crash-course in learning with these guys in my tank.

BerghiaClump.jpg

So,

This morning I found 20 something Berghias in a massive orgee clump. Changed their water in the shipping cup, went to work, came back and pulled them out of the sump to ship. Every one of them - DEAD. I don't get it. Maybe one died and poisoned the rest being that it was a small container? They were in a cup for two days in my sump. I changed the water every 6 - 8 hours.......

Did they starve?

No. They were super plump...all big ol' fatties. I think it was a day and a half in the container that was floating in the sump. Most of these guys came out of the sump where there were aiptasia. I think it had to do with the mass breeding thing maybe. Or one happened to die and it was a chain reaction from toxins? I don't know...but not starvation at that point.

TANK UPDATE:

I just ripped out the HOG.5 to rework the insides. To my surprise, I found algae growing inside. It's been about two months....last week there wasn't much of anything.

HOG-Algae.jpg

The stuff is weird. I have GHA growing in the tank, I think from using dry base rock in this tank. Anyway, it's not like GHA. It's more of a spongy, kelp-like feel and bright green. I have it no where else in the tank....but here it is.

Algae.jpg

Anyone know what it is?

I took the HOG apart and reworked it with an airstone instead of the airline with slits as it originally comes.

Hope to see a big increase in growth.

In other news, I had a RBTA hop off of his rock that he's been on for the past 8 months or so. He left his foot behind and went onto the sandbed. He kept inflated and colored for the past 2 or 3 weeks, and melted two days ago. However, the foot is now looking to be growing tentacles. You can't tell in the photo, but the little nubs are florescent green and orange. We'll see what happens. Maybe it was a bad split?

acf7f178-5e55-4099-ac58-38da594b5265.jpg

Really really odd with your nem. I did a bit of reading and it appears nems can reproduce by dropping tentacles but I never read of them dropping the whole mouth.

Glad to see your starting to get something out of the algae scrubber though.

Really really odd with your nem. I did a bit of reading and it appears nems can reproduce by dropping tentacles but I never read of them dropping the whole mouth.

Glad to see your starting to get something out of the algae scrubber though.

Ya, weird for sure. We'll see what happens with it. My other is still doing great....not sure what happened with this guy.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing will do with the new air stone.

I want aptasia so bad now just so I get get some of those awesomely cute Berghias lol

They really are cool to watch, wish they were sustainable.

You drive a Jeep Danna?

Sadly, just sold mine.

I had a RBTA drop his foot and jump to the sandbed back 3 weeks or so ago. The foot stayed on the rocks, in the shade, but stayed inflated. The rest of the nem stayed colored and inflated up until it just melted one night. Anyway, here is the foot now. It's got little tentacles and they're coloring up orange and green. I guess it was a bad split?

Here it is as of tonight....

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/217bd774-8c50-4445-8b8c-d31e09587176.jpg.html'>217bd774-8c50-4445-8b8c-d31e09587176.jpg

that is crazy on the nem

Ya, amazing how things can survive. Totally thought it would have been the other way around. The part that was 95% intact....died. And the piece of foot has regenerated. Pretty cool.

Here's a shot of a new Acan. Neon Orange and a bright Sky Blue....wish I could get a better shot to show the correct coloration, you get the idea.

b9251287-dc1f-4c8a-bc1c-9554a5fa8c48.jpg

Here's a second of a Dark Blue and Gold/Peach colored one....can't even come close to actual color or GLOW of the Gold/Peach center. I think it's going to be one of my favorites.

9b7ff945-26c7-441d-95f0-81905db45fdb.jpg

Both from Vivid.

I haven't forgotten about you man!! Just waiting on some paypal/fedex issues to clear up (I got charged $97 for the box you shipped. Should've only cost about $40!). Anyway, hopefully will only be a few more days.

I haven't forgotten about you man!! Just waiting on some paypal/fedex issues to clear up (I got charged $97 for the box you shipped. Should've only cost about $40!). Anyway, hopefully will only be a few more days.

No worries man! I'm sure you've been busy patching your ceiling.... :D

Archived