Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

Hello NR,

Figured I finally post some pictures of my 40B. The idea was for something super simple.....and cheap (cost effective).

This tank came about after my 46 Bow Fronts brace let go.....which replaced my BC29 when we moved into our new house. A larger tank is in the works...... Until then, this is it at the 9 month mark via crappy cell phone pics.

Thanks for look'n!

Petco 40B during the $ per gallon sale.

LFS sump on "clearance" for $20. I think it's a 20 high.

MP10 - inTank "blueprint" sale.

Glass-holes overflow for $65.

Ebay skimmer for $65.

DIY stand approx. $100.

DIY LED unit matching the stand approx. $30.

Inhabitants of the tank include Zoas (99% from Tenor), LPS, basic SPS and two Rainbow BTAs (originally one, from Lawnman).......and a S-load of aiptasia ("Thanks LFS!")

Fish include-

Pair of Clowns (Picasso and Phantom)

Kole Tang

Possum Wrasse

Midas Blenny

YWG and Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Oh, and a bunch of Berghia Nudies to munch on the Aiptasia.

These are mostly outdated pictures, but I'll replace with new ..................at some point. Too lazy.

Any questions or comments, fire away!

FTS from...a couple months ago?

40BFTSBlackandWhite.jpg

Current Crappy FTS (10-24-13)

c1bee1ca-3434-4fa7-9963-79a3e0cd8280.jpg

Slide out QT. Heavy Duty drawer glides rated at 75lbs each.QTin40B.jpg

Sump and under cabinet. Still a complete mess........

Sump40B.jpg

DIY Light box thing. Made to match and hang above the DIY stand.

2013-03-09_14-00-22_997.jpg

Rainbow BTA from Lawnman. It has split once and looks to be getting ready to split again.

2013-01-11_20-45-15_395_zps3e3e2f40.jpg

Sunny D's and just about every Z and P from Tenor. Many more not shown, yet.

SunnyDZoas.jpg

Purple Hornets. Disk no longer showing.

PurpleHornetZoas.jpg

Happy PE's.

HappyPEZoas.jpg

Fruit Loops.

FruitLoopZoas.jpg

Acan was a single head, has grown out pretty good. Old pic. Acans from Salt Critters.

IMG_20130405_131914_580.jpg

Purple Torch

Torch.jpg

Berghia from ReefTown. Great customer service. Hopefully the slugs provide as good of a service!

BerghiaCup.jpg

Berghia-intank.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Berghia! I really wish they were sustainable :(

Ha, with the amount of Aiptasia I have.............very sustainable! If they manage to go through it, I will get them to another reefer who can use them.

woah thats some nice stuff and good scape! keep them pics rolling in.

Hey, thanks. I've followed along with your tank as well, nicely done btw. I've got a bunch of stuff that's been super pissed with all the aiptasia. So frustrating. I used Aiptasia-X (exactly as the directions instruct) with zero positive outcome. They seem to multiply faster and faster after every use. I've had a peppermint in the past that took care of the two or three I had.......then finished off some high end Zoas. Out he went. Figure these guys are my last resort.

Wish I had a decent camera, just using the cell phone for now.

Thanks for chiming in!

Here's from 4 or 5 months ago.....all the zoas on the right had to be moved to make way from the splitting nem. The two nems now take up the entire island.

2013-03-15_14-57-02_277.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the Berghia.....they're working! Much slower than I'd like, but making progress. Might order another dozen to speed them up. Plus, not sure if my Possum didn't munch on a few of them.

Anyone else battle Aiptasia and win? Not one or two.... more like one or two hundred. These slugs need an increase in appetite....

Only thing that worked for me was a copperband butterfly. He eventually perished though since the only other thing he would eat was Mysis, i fed him often but he just wasn't getting the nutrition I guess.

That title is pretty obscene.

Only thing that worked for me was a copperband butterfly. He eventually perished though since the only other thing he would eat was Mysis, i fed him often but he just wasn't getting the nutrition I guess.

That title is pretty obscene.

Thanks for the reply! Did the copperband ever go after other coral that resembled the aiptasia? Worried about the zoas / acans being nibbled on.

He never bothered any coral, he ate all my pesky featherdusters though. I had some xenia in the tank and he never touched it he also didn't bother my clam.

He never bothered any coral, he ate all my pesky featherdusters though. I had some xenia in the tank and he never touched it he also didn't bother my clam.

Appreciate the info. I'll see how the berghies work....or don't if they've been eaten. Then maybe the copperband. I almost tried one in the past, but heard they were difficult.

Added a couple pics of the under cabinet mess. Sump clean-out and wire maintenance in the near future. And mounting the front doors.....

Anyone else battle Aiptasia and win? Not one or two.... more like one or two hundred. These slugs need an increase in appetite....
I battled them years ago. Had a few hundred of them. Bought 10 peppermint shrimp and spot feed my fish. This kept the peps hungry and they wiped out every oneof them in about 3 weeks.

Nice looking BTA BTW ;)

I battled them years ago. Had a few hundred of them. Bought 10 peppermint shrimp and spot feed my fish. This kept the peps hungry and they wiped out every oneof them in about 3 weeks.

Nice looking BTA BTW ;)

Hey, thanks for dropping in! I think you meant.....BTAs plural. Couldn't be happier with them. Looks like it's going to split again.

Couple questions for you Lawn -

1. Those Peps never went after any of your coral?

2. Can I add another BTA on the same island, or do they battle?

Thanks

Archived