SaltCritters.com

Blue coral banded shrimp owners, please get in here

harleychic

harleychic

In my former 55g reef I had a regular coral banded shrimp that ended up getting fairly aggressive. It would constantly pinch the head of my mandarin which drove me nuts. From what I have read, the blue variant is much less aggressive and stays smaller. I would like to put one in my 10g reef. Any input, good or bad is appreciated!

AFellowReefer

I have never been a fan of coral banded shrimp. IME a ten gal is too small for a CBS only because it makes it easier for them to catch their prey (i.e. fish, other shrimp...) They are generally peaceful until they begin to get older and larger. So if your willing to get a small one and then remove it when it becomes larger and aggressive, I would say it would be fine.

• Like 1
brandon429

I kept a blue and yellow variant in my gallon reef for five years, regular molting etc. they def stay small. Excellent for small tanks. The other variants get 10x the size.

The blue variants simply don't get large like the other ones. They stay the same size.

• Like 1
sjnovakovich

I had a cb shrimp that absolutely decimated my cleanup crew as he grew. He was also stepping all over my corals while he was hunting.

fretfreak13

Guys, he is asking about the BLUE coral banded shrimp. They are completely different than the white/red ones.

Yes OP, the blue ones stay small and would be just fine for your ten gallon. The only thing I could see them potentially hurting would be a fish clown goby sized or smaller.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
On 6/30/2013 at 9:03 PM, harleychic said:

I would like to put one in my 10g reef

Yes - great option - after reading again more into these, I think now I am going to put a blue CB shrimp into my 10G reef as well :happy:

• 2 months later...

I have a 1.5-2" blue CBS. He is harmless. In fact, he even made friends with a 1" blue tang (which sadly was infected with ich.)  They literally hung out all the time.  When the tang (and all my other fish died,) the blue CBS seemed depressed the entire 72 days that the the water column was becoming ich-free. Once we began adding fish, his cute, friendly disposition came back. I love my blue CBS. He doesn't seem aggressive at all, unless a pesky hermit crab gets near his home rock. Teehee. It's so cute when he tells them to get out of his space. But as for fish, if the fish is nice to the blue CBS, he is nice to them. Did I mention I love my blue CBS? Just make sure you don't have anything that will snack on your blue shrimp!

• Like 1

Old post but my blue banded tore up my pipefish tail and waves his arms around like an ass. That pipefish just looks like a tasty linguine noodle.

No issue with my other fish.

• Wow 1

I've had CB's the size of tarantulas and never seen them bother anything other than other shrimp, which they will eat (banded / peppermint). 

They get aggressive - so what. What are they going to hurt? I had a big one nearly 6" across and it never bothered my watchman goby and domino damsels would steal food right out of it's mouth. I've seen wrasses get bored and eat them. I had a tomato clown once pick up my big one and shove to the other side of the tank. 

It steps on corals - so what. CB's scour corals for parasites and anything they can eat. 

Biggest negative is they will eat all your small bristleworms which is their main prey, and small bristleworms are a benefit. 

Thrassian Atoll

If I had a 5 gallon or less setup I would get a pederson shrimp.  Pretty cool little guy.  I had one on my Evo.