Pod Your Reef

80 Gallon Rimless "Lagoon"

HALLZOO

You have a great looking tank! I love the big clam too... this is the tank I am looking at getting soon as well. How do you like it?

I love this tank! It has awesome dimensions and the construction is top notch. I think there are some negative reviews floating around concerning the bulkhead fittings that come with the tank, but I have had zero issues with mine. As a matter of fact, I purchased "upgraded" bulkhead fittings that ended up harder to work with, so I ditched those for the original fittings.

I custom built a stand for this tank that is about 34" high, so it really elevates the tank to eye level and makes it look great! Lighting a tank with shallow dimensions is so much easier, and nothing beats the "shallow pool" look of a rimless tank.

kefitzat.haderech

Thanks everyone for the interest in my tank! Here are some shots from this evening of the gorgonian everybody been asking about, plus a few more creative FTS:

49157-george-takei-oh-my-gif-e64l.gif

• Like 3

50-75 PAR on the sand bed with a clam seems like a bad idea.

It's not the overflow noise (including noise from the drain pipe) that is the issue - it is the water falling into the sump, and I don't think getting more air into the pipe will fix that, will it?

When I had my DB Edge 60 cube, I used loosely spaced foam that I cut up and it killed the noise completely. You have to wash out the foam every few weeks as it built it up with bacteria.

• Like 1

50-75 PAR on the sand bed with a clam seems like a bad idea.

When I had my DB Edge 60 cube, I used loosely spaced foam that I cut up and it killed the noise completely. You have to wash out the foam every few weeks as it built it up with bacteria.

I can see how someone might assume the sand bed reading is the same as the reading at the clam, but in this case you assumed incorrectly.

PAR at the clam's mantle, which is a good 4" above the sand (and also in a different location than my "sand" reading), is about 175.

What PAR readings do you run over your clam(s)?

• Like 1

Sorry if that sounded in any way snarky, not my intention, you have a gorgeous tank and it's obvious you know what you're doing.

When I still had clams, (I got rid of them to try out reef safe but not clam safe triggers) I recall I was at 300 or more and I believe the minimum recommended was around 250 plus but it's a subject open for debate and species.

• Like 1

Sorry if that sounded in any way snarky, not my intention, you have a gorgeous tank and it's obvious you know what you're doing.

When I still had clams, (I got rid of them to try out reef safe but not clam safe triggers) I recall I was at 300 or more and I believe the minimum recommended was around 250 plus but it's a subject open for debate and species.

No sweat. Thanks for the compliments!

I actually gave up a beautiful Crocea last year just so I could lower my light levels for a soft coral-dominated tank. Running my T5's closer than about 10" causes most of the corals in my tank to close up permanently!

Just came across this thread and all I can say is it is simply gorgeous! Your tank is very unique. I really like your lighting scheme, rather than emphasizing on the super blue lighting most people are trying to achieve, the lighter bulbs really bright out that warm, natural colors of the corals of the LPS. You have some great show pieces!

• Like 1

Hallzoo, you happen have a stock list of all the coral you have in your tank? Also, do you dose two-part, kalk, etc. to keep your calcium up, or just regular water changes?

Great questions! Below is a complete list of life in the tank. I use calcium chloride/sodium carbonate two-part dosed periodically with automated dosing pumps. I dose magnesium every time I refill the 1 gallon calcium/alkalinity jugs. I also perform weekly 10 gal water changes with Reef Crystals salt. This regime keeps my alk steady at around 175 ppm and calcium about 425 ppm. I run my mag high intentionally around 1500. (Holy crap this sounds like an SPS tank description!)

Soft Corals:

Neon Green Sinularia

ORA Blue Xenia

Pulsing Xenia

Yellow Fiji Leather

Green Devil's Hand Leather

Neon Green Toadstool Leather

Corky Finger Gorgonian

ORA Grube's Gorgonian

Pink Anthelia

Yellow Polyps

Green Star Polyps

Green Palythoa

Green/Blue/Orange Ricordea

Green/Purple/Red/Hairy Mushrooms

Various Zoas

LPS:

Neon Green Duncan

Green Frogspawn

Green/pink Blasto

Other:

Derasa Clam

Green Brittle Star

Midas Blenny

Bicolor Blenny

Percula Clown

x2 Pajama Cardinals

Firefish

Coral Banded Shrimp

Turbo Snail

x2 blue legged hermits

Just came across this thread and all I can say is it is simply gorgeous! Your tank is very unique. I really like your lighting scheme, rather than emphasizing on the super blue lighting most people are trying to achieve, the lighter bulbs really bright out that warm, natural colors of the corals of the LPS. You have some great show pieces!

Thanks! You should see the tank in person. Now that winter and daylight savings has kicked in where I live, the lighting in my tank has become therapeutic - it feels like I am on a beach in the Caribbean. Makes we wish I could jump into my tank and swim around.

• Like 3

Whoa - small frags of the Grubes Gorg don't look all that great - but yours.... yours! oh lawd.

I am now sorry I passed up a Grubes frag a few month ago.

This tank is absolutley beautiful. It is by far my favorite.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Yea the tank looks pretty good on their website, I like the layout of the pics.

I'm going to try and take some more photos over the holidays and maybe a video, too. Just been too crazy around here lately with all the holiday stuff going on.

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

Fragged out my huge frogspawn today. Colony was growing up the glass and stinging surrounding corals. Turns out 80 gallons really isn't that big...

Attached are some before/after shots: he went from one huge colony to 20+ smaller frags (some with more than 30 heads!) now living in my sump. I'm too lazy to count but I bet this fella had 100+ heads:

Update: after careful counting at my LFS he was 127 heads (+ 6 more that I saved for myself)!

Also below are some FTS shots with the Froggy removed. Tank isn't the same without him but the extra room is nice:

post-59679-0-26730400-1389555814_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-68572500-1389555819_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-50902100-1389555825_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-82412900-1389555835_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-87521300-1389556034_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-27766000-1389556040_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-16592000-1389556046_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my first shot at a video of the tank, let me know what you think:

That frogspawn was huge! I have never seen one that big before.

Thanks! I've only seen bigger ones in videos. Took about 3 years to get that big.

It's funny, I've had to dial my alkalinity/calcium dosing way down after removing that coral!

Good news is I was pretty much able to fund a nice new LED fixture for my tank just from selling the frags!

• Like 4

Love it amigo! Love softy/LPS tanks. Especially large, mature colonies of Euphyllia. :wub:

Alas, I just had to trim up my frogspawn a couple of weeks ago too. Mine wasn't as big as yours, maybe 40-50 heads or so and about the size of a volleyball. I had to rearrange my tank and there was no place for it that size when I was done. I traded/sold a handful of frags off but I was left with three really nice sized colonies when I was done.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks. Didn't even know it got posted there!

Happy to see folks enjoy it as much as I do.

P.S. don't tell Leonard Ho I'm thinking about switching to LED, after reading his blog post about my tank I'm starting to feel guilty about it (LOL)

• 1 month later...

Hey everybody,

Just got the news my job is moving me to the West Coast in July. Unfortunately, this means the corals have to go. I am keeping all the equipment and will have to start again when I get there!

Anyway, if anyone on here live in the Connecticut, New York, Rhode Island, etc. area and want a good deal on a tank full of huge colonies just let me know!

Hey everybody,

Just got the news my job is moving me to the West Coast in July. Unfortunately, this means the corals have to go. I am keeping all the equipment and will have to start again when I get there!

Anyway, if anyone on here live in the Connecticut, New York, Rhode Island, etc. area and want a good deal on a tank full of huge colonies just let me know!

Where on the West Coast? I'm glad that you are keeping the equipment and plan to set everything back after the move.