Top Shelf Aquatics

80 Gallon Rimless "Lagoon"

HALLZOO

Recently moved into a new house and transferred all my reef critters from my old 40 breeder to an 80 gal Deep Blue rimless.

Specs

Deep Blue Rimless Reef Ready 48x24x16

TEK 6x39w T5 (yep 36" T5 over 48" tank!)

40 breeder sump, no baffles

Skimz SM-121 skimmer

x2 Tunze controllable 6095s running 50% 8 second long pulse

I cant wait for this bad boy to grow in!!

post-59679-0-49663700-1372374674_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-33388900-1372374680_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-98508200-1372374693_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-94277500-1372374699_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-53986600-1372374705_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Your tank looks awesome. Very natural looking. You must feed a lot of particulate for the gorgs etc. nice work

Thank you!

The gorgs are photosynthetic, I specifically buy only those species. They are pigs however and consume ground-up flake food and cyclopeeze like it's going out of style.

• Like 1

nice looking tank! Careful without a lid, that spells bad news for a midas blenny. I had mine for over three years until he decided to go carpet surfing... definitely top 5 fishwise.

• Like 1

nice looking tank! Careful without a lid, that spells bad news for a midas blenny. I had mine for over three years until he decided to go carpet surfing... definitely top 5 fishwise.

Thanks, good advice!

You only have your two 6095 running at 50%? I've got two of them at 100% and I still think I want more flow :lol:

I could probably run them both at 100 but 50 seems to be a good compromise between flow and noise.

I'm into the gentle sway effect more than the frenetic blasts right now anyway, seems to be working. Still have some diatom growth in the low flow areas though which I usually just siphon out.

jedimasterben

If they're making any audible noise, then I would turn them off immediately and either clean them or send them back, something is wrong.

I'll take a video of my two on 100% and show you the flow.

If they're making any audible noise, then I would turn them off immediately and either clean them or send them back, something is wrong.

I'll take a video of my two on 100% and show you the flow.

It's more like a deep bass hum.

The pumps are in perfect working order and quite silent, but there is some form of odd acoustic resonance between my tank, the living room and some adjacent rooms in my house that make the hum audible in certain locations. Not unbearable but I can notice it.

I don't mind as it encouraged me to run the pumps a little slower than I normally would have, which I ended up enjoying more than the full-on churn these bad boys can pump out.

Video sounds great, thanks!

So I was toying with the idea of changing skimmers, I currently run a Skimz SM-121.

I like the idea of DC pumps and was thinking about the Reef Octopus line of DC skimmers. The 150 and DC-1 really caught my eye as they have the correct 3" neck size (IMO) for my tank/bioload and about double the air volume (~900 lph vs the Skimz 540 lph).

Anybody out there using these skimmers? I've seen a few reviews, but in particular I'm a little worried the DCS-150 can't be fully disassembled for cleaning.

Here's a picture of the Diablo DCS-150. Doesn't really look like you can pull apart the bubble plate to get in there and clean. Anybody have experience with this model?

post-59679-0-34546800-1372550164.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update 7/22/2013.

Did some aquascaping and used a tripod. Pictures came out much better this time. It also helps to turn off a bank of blue bulbs so the photos aren't so washed-out:

post-59679-0-73675100-1374532759_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-88611400-1374532770_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-06298900-1374532796_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-66871000-1374532874_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-01001100-1374532956_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-20852000-1374533002_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Tank is looking awesome!

Here is that video I mentioned a long time ago to show the flow:

Thanks, I see you have the same! Great job to you as well!

After a little creative aquascaping I was able to run the pumps at 100%, alternating each side. That created a great swaying motion in all the soft corals. I've since switched over to sequential - although I am running only two pumps, it adds much more complexity without the frenetic on/off cycles of the "random flow" program. You should try it out!

Nate

jedimasterben

I'll have to give it a shot. I also like the placement of your pumps. Since they're pointing at the front glass, do they move your sand at all?

I'll have to give it a shot. I also like the placement of your pumps. Since they're pointing at the front glass, do they move your sand at all?

These are the wide flow (6095) Tunzes, so sand movement isn't a problem if I'm careful. As long as I keep the angle at 45 degrees or greater (perpendicular to the front glass) the sand stays put. I figured that out the hard way though when I woke up one morning and my yellow Fiji leather was buried.

I think there's also some flow interaction from my return pump discharge that helps to keep the tunzes from blasting the front glass. I love these powerheads!

• Like 1

If you don't mind telling how much did this tank end up costing? Did you order and ship to the LFS or find it used?

Message me please.

Message sent.

In case anyone else is interested, total for the tank and major equipment is around $2K. This doesn't include livestock cost, most of which I grew out from little $20 frags over the course of three years. Peripherals (test kits, Reefkeeper, ATO, RO/DI unit, dosing pumps) are not included in the total but would probably add another $900.

Holy crap I never gave the total cost a thought until now! Thanks for asking.

Just pulled out my GFO/FAC reactor, gonna run without chemical filtration for a few months to see how it affects growth rate of both corals and algae.

Going to keep the skimmer running though, as well as keep up weekly 5 gal water changes.