SaltCritters.com

80 Gallon Rimless "Lagoon"

HALLZOO

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this tank! Hate to see it coming down. However, if you wanna stop off in Illinois on your way out west, I'll gladly take all that livestock off your hands! Especially those gorgonians! I love those and the fiji yellow leather most!

ragtimewilly

I'll be somewhere in the Puget Sound, Wa area. Haven't found a house yet though.

Dude just caught up on this tank, beautiful. Sorry to see it being broken down, but hey there are a lot of cool reef nuts in the Puget Sound area so it should be pretty easy getting your tank restocked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What specific foods were you using that the gorgs fed on like pigs?

I remember that you stated that they accepted Cyclop-eeze but I'm wondering what pellet and crushed flake they took. There are lots of pellets and flake availabe on the market and I've never used them, but if gorgs eat them then I'm very interested in knowing what brand, especially after seeing your amazing frogspawn growth :)

Also, what does your homemade seafood feed consist of?

• 2 years later...

Hello folks, it's been a crazy two years but I'm finally getting around to starting this tank back up! Hope to get some equipment pics up soon as I setup the tank. For now I'll be running the same lights, sump, skimmer, etc. 

Thinking about going bare bottom this time, just to try it out. Bare bottom was all the rave when I had a reef tank back in the mid-90's.

• 4 months later...

Back in the saddle! Here she is at 3 months old, just took these pics today. The first few months were pretty gross and not post-worthy as I had major algae outbreaks. Nice and balanced now though, and beggining to stock some softies!

1516059551751626282327.jpg

1516059591440687735364.jpg

15160596614262058145214.jpg

1516059694833855044439.jpg

• Like 5

So good! This was one of the tanks that got me into the hobby! I have my Leather dominant tank because of you. 

Although my 3 year progress was no where near the growth you did. Please post the equipment pictures. Never did figure out what you did xD! Are you still in the west coast?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/23/2018 at 8:52 PM, RustyRocket said:

So good! This was one of the tanks that got me into the hobby! I have my Leather dominant tank because of you. 

Although my 3 year progress was no where near the growth you did. Please post the equipment pictures. Never did figure out what you did xD! Are you still in the west coast?

That's great to hear! Im glad my tank inspired you, the world needs more soft coral tanks.  Would love to see a pic of your tank!

I don't use too much gear. I have a 40 breeder for a sump, Avast Marine skimmer, and two Tunze controllable power heads. I dose BRS two part. My lighting is 6x39w T5HO.

Nope I'm back in Upstate NY now.

20180125_201920.jpg

20180125_201844.jpg

20180125_201901.jpg

20180125_201909.jpg

20180125_201925.jpg

• Like 2
On 1/25/2018 at 5:20 PM, HALLZOO said:

That's great to hear! Im glad my tank inspired you, the world needs more soft coral tanks.  Would love to see a pic of your tank!

Yeah, this was from my post a few months ago. With the recent Fiji shut down I've got a few more leathers added since then...It's kinda crowded at the moment, perhaps an upgrade to an 80 gallon >:)

D11B04C0-DD28-45F8-85A5-DC9753B8F807.thumb.jpeg.3315b9e17c912cd106e5f21eed4c3aed.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 1/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @HALLZOO! It's great to see this back up and running, good progress so far :happy: 

Thanks! It's great to be back. I can't wait to see what this tank can do. There are some great LFS in my area, with tons of healthy stock to choose from. One shop even specializes in soft corals! 

On 28/01/2018 at 1:18 PM, HALLZOO said:

Excellent! Now your tank has inspired me. Those Gorgs are amazing, where did you get those? Are they photosynthetic?

Yes they all are. Very easy to look after once settled. 

They're from Russ at Gulf Coast Ecosystems, good price and service, cant recommend them enough. 

• 1 month later...

Few shots from today. In one, you can see the growth in my Derasa over the last 2 months. The second pic shows a hitchhiker rock anemone that came with some Florida live rock. He's quickly becoming a beautiful anemone, and he eats like a beast. Had recent good growth in the Halimeda around him, too.

20180303_204507.jpg

20180303_204528.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

How are things going with the tank? Your last tank was one of my favorites, cant wait too see the new one fill up. Are you glad you went bare bottom on the new build? Did you keep the same bulb configuration you had on the last one? I would like to try T5s, but I am not sure how I would mount it. 

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the huge delay in updates!! Lots of good growth and a few algae battles but here she is.  Need about 12 more months before it grows in like the old tank on this thread!

P.S. I switched to Kessil A360WE's!   

20181015_184319.jpg

20181012_164507.jpg

20181019_180541.jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Good progress @HALLZOO, lots of steady growth. How did everything respond the to the Kessil A360WE lighting change?

Thank you!! The transition to LED has been great so far. I used the acclimate function of the Kessil controller and it did a good job-all corals seem to open on schedule and are out all day. There's a little different algae growth on my glass, but that's no worry to me.

I'm running the lights at about 75% max power, and they're about 15" above the water line. Any more power than that and the leathers seem to close up during peak light hours.