ReefCleaners.org

Thinking of starting a Nano?

Zac

Hello to all. I am new to reef keeping aspect of this hobby and just have a few questions.

I would like to begin gathering information on what it is going to take in order for me to start a nano reef. I would like to use a 20 gal. tank that I already have, and in order to keep cost low I would like to use some left over lights that I have from a previous setup. The lights are two 55watt CF. I also have a 10 gal. tank that I would like to use for a sump in order to house my skimmer and heater. The sump would also give a little more water volume. Would it also be possible to set up a refugium in the sump? What are some suggestions for good skimmers and filter setups? Aslo as far as water goes, do most of you purchase RO/DI water or do something else?

My plans so far are to get the tank and sump set up and build a hood to house the lights. Then stock the tank with LR and LS and the sump with small amounts of each also. The lights will yeild about 5.5watt/gal. What would be good livestock sugestions. I have also read about many Nanos that are not running skimmers whats the deal with that? As far as filteration how many times an hour should the tank be turned over through the sump?

How deep should the sand bed be(should I set up a plenum) and what would be some good critters to help keep the place clean and the sand turned over?

In what order should the tank be set up as far as when the sand should be put in and when the LR should be added(is cured or uncured LR beter)?

Thanks to everyone for your help. This is a great site.

Zac

:) :)

bump

first thing you should buy is a good book on the hobby. it'll save you a lot of grief and regret later. tullock's my favorite, calfo's good, sprung&delbeek are very good but pricey. goldstein's book is a very good starter, and so on.

the skimmer's an optional one for some. i would recommend it when starting and once you're set you can disconnect it later.

the sand bed (esp. the plenum) is hotly contested right now. so i'll pass for another day.

turnover can be anywhere (typ. between 5x~20x per hour). your setup, the currents, and livestock will determine flow/turnover (i.e. some animal need a lot of flow and some need very little flow).

you can definitely get base rock and seed it with just one small piece of LR. it depends on your patience.

read the books, search old threads, and ask the questions. welcome to the money pit, er hobby! ;)

Thank you for the input. As for reading information, I have read Goldstien's book "Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook", but still have many questions regarding the setup of such a small tank and options that I have when setting up my reef.

I think, based in the information that I gathered, I am going to run a small countercurrent skimmer just to be on the safe side. Which skimmer would be best for this application. I would like the skimmer to be contained in the sump.

I have also decided to go with a 2.5"-3.0" sand bed consisting of Florida crushed coral with aragonite seeded with about 5 lbs. of live sand. What is some good livestock to keep the sand turned over in an aquarium of this size?

Will my lighting be good enough?

If I do decide to set up a refugium containing some higher algea what would be the best way to supply light?

Thanks again for all the help!!

Zac:) :)

Archived