tennis20

What size is a nano reef?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What size is a nano reef?

• <5 gallons
    • <10 gallons
    • <20 gallons
    • <30 gallons

The rule of thumb used to be that you can't keep a reef in any thing smaller than 55 gallons of water. Our entire subsection of the hobby is called "nano" because you're keeping reef in a system that is smaller than the smallest size recommended. That's why a 40 breeder is still a nano.

The rule of thumb used to be that you can't keep a reef in any thing smaller than 55 gallons of water. Our entire subsection of the hobby is called "nano" because you're keeping reef in a system that is smaller than the smallest size recommended. That's why a 40 breeder is still a nano.

Nice.

BeardedReeferLLC

This is correct. 40 Max.

Captain Kryptonite

Lol i almost posted this exact thread yesterday because i keep seeing people on this forum talking about their 100+ gal and i was like "isnt this NANO-REEF.com?" 30 and below IMO

We have a large tank sub forum to be inclusive, other reef boards that cater more to large tanks generally suck. I've seen this basic question asked at least a dozen times, so I'm going to mix it up. What do you call tanks in the next size range? It can't go from 40 gallons max for a Nano to 41 gallons being a "large" tank. From 40 to 120, are those tanks midsize? What's the scale? I've seen a lot of 300+ gallon tanks in my time, are those another size class? I think we get a little hung up on the term "nano," so I figured I'd ask.

I know I said 8g-30g is nano, but I agree, how does it all just suddenly 'change size' 1 gallon up, or even less? We do get hung up on categorizations too much sometimes, and can give VASTLY different opinions when there may be a 5g difference. Of course it's good to categorize all the tank size ranges to have general recommendations, but specific recommendations are required for every single tank (pretty much). A 10cm x 10cm x 100cm tank would be vastly different from a 25cm x 20cm x 20cm tank for example, despite having the same volume.

Sub 100 gallon is what I'd consider a nano....I say this in terms of cost and that over 100 gallons one typically has to think of floor load capacity.

8gal to 55gal i would consider nano

55gal to 120gal is a mid size tank

120 to 220 is a large tank

220 + is a a huge size tank ( mind you ive had a 1000gal plywood tank in my basement)

some ppl on a deff site would consider anything under 300gal to be small

because some fish keepers do armatus,gatf, rtcs ext ...

Lol i almost posted this exact thread yesterday because i keep seeing people on this forum talking about their 100+ gal and i was like "isnt this NANO-REEF.com?" 30 and below IMO

Wait.. the 10" collection cup on my skimmer doesn't count as a nano? ;)

Blubbernaut

Ok

<5g pico

5-30g true nano

30-45g nano-midsize

45-90 midsize

90-180 large

Anything over is huge.

Then what does my 3000g pond count as? B)

Archived