SaltCritters.com

MiddReef's Nuvo 24

MiddReef

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love that bluespot!

He is king of the trolls! Rearranges the sandbed and sand-dwelling corals daily. What a fish though! I made him a PVC home, which he inhabited for about 3 days, then promptly instead elected to start digging for nuvo gold. I expect him to order a Trommel soon.

Great looking tank! I'm thinking of picking one of these up shortly so i'll be taging along to get ideas.

They are awesome tanks, I really appreciate the space in the back, and having gear that isn't junk made for that tank. My aquapod was awesome, but basically a pain to modify or do anything with rear-chamberwise. The footprint makes the tank really seem larger, especailly if you mount it high or near a sitting area where you are below the tank evel

I'm working through the options right now. I love the long look. The deal with a Razor on top is pretty sweet to. from what I read with proper care the bio load can be a little higher in these to with all the filtration options. I'm a little worried to given some of the silicon issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We all know I am a man of silence. Additional posts pending! When not at work, I currently spend my time attempting to dust off all the corals that the BSJ moves, buries, and nests with....his trolling is of significant proportions. Soon.

Some new additions/developments :

- tank continues to dominate,

Really pleased with the results thus far

1) Blue spot on his favorite perch, watching and trolling :

CE0ABFE9-47A0-4AE3-B8D4-C3E971C3718C_zps

Setosa growing nicely, this thing loves the vega :

163C4E09-C935-4406-9C38-4C485B79264C_zps

Ricordea doing well, hard to camera phone shoot given the location under the array:

3A5A0B74-DE7C-4E00-8788-2E5E904D2B96_zps

More pending, reef on!

It looks like hermit infestation! lol

To date, there is only one hermit in the tank, who arrived as a certh imposter. What you can see there is my small army of snails that the good folks at ReefCleaners sent after I ordered "15." John et al. make it happen.

A few new additions to the tank in the last few days, I'm going to bust out the SLR later and see if I can get some really crisp non-iPhone shots.

There's some pretty cool livestock yet to be revealed.

Did you upgrade the stock pump?

I did, but with an old mj900 I had laying around. The stock one was fine but I found it rattled just a bit.

In other news I failed trying to get my slr to accurately capture the led lighting. Everything came out purple and crazy colors.

Also, couldn't find trollfish the other night, looked around to find this ::::

D5F4B6BF-B1AB-4DB1-A4F0-C89BBE2E1314_zps

I have no clue how he accomplished this, the glass top is almost always on, and I even keep the holes covered with plastic lids I made. Maybe during a water change....lucky near miss. He has returned to his prior trolling of anybody who moves nearby....whew !

• 2 weeks later...

Obligate shrimp imaging, he is small but mighty :

4D7654D7-8C60-4A4B-859C-49CDF79F01CB_zps

Hard to photograph correctly with my phone and the leds, but found some nice zoas today

0C3F3EBB-C66A-41A7-A306-11A847C09916_zps

Finally, troll fish hesitates to approve of a new rocking monti I came across

9E639571-D599-46F7-827D-3B13EBDF17CF_zps

As we speak he plots to coat it with sand this evening

Its looking really good, man. Glad you found trollfish!

Thanks Lalani! I've been busy but with minimal updates.....problem is it is so hard to DSLR the LEDS. I've found its almost easier to just set the vega to 100% white and take photos. Will attempt in a few more days.

Anybody have any experience with biopellets? I have been resisting, but gradually my tank has become a monitpora/SPS haven...it may be time to try to optimize with one of those IM reactors.

keep calm, nuvo on!

Ended up adding the reactor this morning, starting with GFO, but having some difficulty keeping the flows in the darn thing down low enough to not pulverize the media...

Pics to come

• 3 weeks later...

Near tragedy to the Nuvo:

Went on a short vacation, came back to a silent tank. Lights off, water 60F, no pumps on. Panic! Turned on everything and rewarmed slowly....fish looked really rough, two of them laying on their sides looking to be in ARDS. Picked them up and held them in front of a slow pump, they seemed to perk up as the water rewarmed. Wish I had taken a video. Long story short things survived, I am suprised at how resilient eveyone was. ....Best part: following this, the troll fish himself decided to show himself briefly, mock me at the front of the glass, and return to his lair. I am attempting to attribtue this event to him, but find the exact etiology unclear other than a flipped surge protecter. Very strange.

Water change today, photos when the tank is sparkly again! Let's talk fish NR, I'm having some success with some cool friends!

ok first things first:

1) The MiniMax Reactor:

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/photo1_zpse5064323.jpg.html'>photo1_zpse5064323.jpg

Very well built, fits together well, and is easy to empty and reload.....I certainly don't hate doing it, but I would say the flow rate is a little tough to dial in the first time, didn't realize I could play with the pump itself for a while, took some time to get the GFO calmed down:

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/photo2_zps7b81e9a1.jpg.html'>photo2_zps7b81e9a1.jpg

Fits really well, I am slowly ramping up my GFO level for the next few weeks

Finally got some decent shots with a decent camera today, very difficult to get a realistic color balance, forgive me. Had to crank the lights to more "daylight" than they are, but the photos are pretty close to what you see in person:

Project Zoas that have been growing really well, soon to spread and take the rock over:

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/IMG_3315_zpsa3aa77f5.jpg.html'>IMG_3315_zpsa3aa77f5.jpg

Some non-camera phone shots of those awesome ones I picked up at a frag swap:

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/IMG_3309_zpsc3ccee25.jpg.html'>IMG_3309_zpsc3ccee25.jpg

Also got to meet Jason Fox there, he had some pretty cool montipora for sale. This is actually a mix of what looks like pokerstar (right) and rainbow (left). I'll leave the ZOMG names to Mr. Fox:

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/IMG_3293_zps7e3657fe.jpg.html'>IMG_3293_zps7e3657fe.jpg

He also opened the flood gates to restart a Jedi-Mind-Trick colony:

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/IMG_3322_zps251354f7.jpg.html'>IMG_3322_zps251354f7.jpg

Archived