SaltCritters.com

MiddReef's Nuvo 24

MiddReef

Current FTS:

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/Mobile%20Uploads/46C8F2D1-58D7-40AB-8336-483685C0C876_zpsmzfptllm.jpg.html'>46C8F2D1-58D7-40AB-8336-483685C0C876_zps

Hello again NR!

I've been plotting a new tank for some time now, and having just relocated it seemed like the perfect time to grab a new setup. To be honest, when I last left the hobby people were still debating if LEDs were capable of growing corals.....when I last had a tank I was using two of evil's PAR38 bulbs that grew all my SPS for about two years without any problems, so this time around I decided to go all in on LED technology. Shout out to my old aquapod, it's sadly collecting dust after the move....she was great in her time. Tank is going to be slow developing, but here's my plan and gear list:

Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo 24, Black!

Stand: Super clearance solid wood TV stand, fits like a glove and has nice cabinets, test held over 300 lbs without moving or creaking. Tank is currently sitting nicely on the IM pedestal mini-stand

Lights: Single AI Vega Color on EXT mount and 18" rail

Circulation: Stock pump for now, attempting to reuse my old Vortech MP-20 (yes, they used to make a 20) from my aquapod. Hoping it doesn't create a standstorm

Filtration: Only sponges and bioballs. I jest. Planning on running the IM skimmate skimmer and a reactor if necessary, probably restocking the media baskets with various media TBD

Substrate/Rocks: TBD

Overall Plan: Clean, rimless, sleekness is a goal, along with happy fish and corals. My time is really limited for poking at my tank, so likely low-upkeep corals. Currently leaning towards a few SPS but nothing out of control....only those that grow like weeds despite your greatest attempts

Just a few shots, RO/DI unit is showing up tomorrow, then it's on to sand and rocks! Camera phone quality only, plz.

photo2-4.jpg

photo3-3_zpse8cc3029.jpg

photo5-1_zpsb64e4629.jpg

Oh, AP24, you are missed:

IMG_2858.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You again!!!!

Glad you're still around NR, and upgraded to modstatus I see.....I hope you've paid more attention to the changing technology than I have! I'm now going to be forced to stalk through all of your tanks to see how they turned out. NR is full of time capsules from a few years ago!

Ha, I haven't really kept up with the technology that much. Using a cheap LED light over the new biorb, but everything else is the same as before.

Can't wait to see what you do with this one! :)

Preparing to battle the under-sink monsters and install the incoming RO/DI unit today.

Rocks coming in from John and team Reef Cleaners next week, realized I haven't ordered any sand. I think with the MP20 and the dimensions of this tank I need something with a little more grain to it than the oolite I've found locally....anybody have any favorites other than Caribsea? I was thinking of their special grade or just the reef floor grade...

:::Quick update:::

15 lbs of dry rock from John and crew down at Reefcleaners...pictures pending. Also got a hold of an AI controller, pictures also pending. Tomorrow is sand and ATO day, looking like we're finally ready to launch this tank!

DAT FEEL!!! B)

Delay in plans, UPS had me fooled. But, Rocks are in and I think I've settled on an aquascape that I like after a lot of moving and twisting. Going for a decent proportioned look with clearly different areas of the tank, but all unified into one flowing appearance. Whew. Taking a page from some of the cooler tanks around here I did a little math to try and focus on golden ratio focus points, perhaps with some succes. Sand is really coming tomorrow and then I can get some water in this thing!

Additional apologies for the continued use of camera phone, but hey, there's not even water yet.

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/photo_zpse745c592.jpg.html'>photo_zpse745c592.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I see u went with the vega, looks awesome!!! I also had a problem with blowing sand everywhere with just a mp10, until I got a shield from pic0 aquariums and raised it up. Using caribsea oolite And agronite. Nice build, I'll be tagging along. And I'll send a message to put u on the nuvo24 link!

Thanks E!

More pictures soon. There is now water, sand, salt, and the beginnings of a reef in the nuvo, I really like this tank!

Cleaners coming to bust up some diatoms this week courtesy of the pros at reefcleaners!

Finally, an update! Sorry for the camera phone goodness, can't find the patience to DSLR this bad boy.

photo5_zps3c888242.jpg

Observations/Thoughts on the Nuvo 24 - researching this tank is hard!

Tank has been up and running for quite a few weeks now, and I have to say I am very impressed with the Nuvo 24. I really loved my aquapod, but I HATED the back chambers....doing anything back there was near impossible. Though the Nuvo stock filter stacks aren't the greatest, they're at least accessible and there's space to work back there!

• Overall construction is great, I haven't had any problems with mine not lining up or the back leaking through from the display
  • At first I hated the included tank stand, but it's grown on me, makes the tank look taller and gives it a good negative space underneath
  • LOVE the footprint of this tank, I've got mine set at the end of a couch, and it feels like a huge tank sitting next to you as it is so long.
  • One thing that initially bugged me is the water height in the display, it's defaulted to about 1-2 inches off the glass, which is fine, but if you want it to be higher you'll need some DIY grate blocks to slow down the overflows
  • Digging the black background, but I need to has coralines!

photo2_zpsef52f491.jpg

How's the Gear Working out, MiddReef?

• AI Vega Color - zomg heart heart heart. This thing is likely smarter than me, and has been a breeze to setup and use! I love that I can dial in the colors exactly as I like them, and change them with a few clicks on the controller. Totally awesome. I haven't really used the weather effects other than to show off the system, but that's fine by me. Mounting system and EXT rails work great, but there is some droop on the 18" rails as they support the Vega....doesn't feel like its not sturdy, I think it's just innate. Decision : #BallSoHard
  • MP20, the classic - Still working like a champ, just had to swap out the nut that holds the prop in place, $8 later I'm back to reef crest random. Decision : #BallSoHard
  • IM Skimmate Skimmer - Undecided on this guy right now. It's really well built and easy to install, fits like a champ. My concern is this: When this skimmer overflows, it overflows. If your water level changes in the back chambers (more on this later), it'll fill the skimmer cup and just blast water out the top, resulting in water running down the bracket into the display and onto the back of the tank. This is more a ATO problem for me right now, but I'm getting good skimmate otherwise, and it's pretty quiet. No problems with microbubbles after a few days break in. Decision: Pending ATO function

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/MiddReef/media/photo1_zps95f8bad2.jpg.html'>photo1_zps95f8bad2.jpg

• Tunzo Osmolator 3152 nano - Now this guy has been giving me issues. Not sure why, but it likes to just fill and fill and fill. The controller system with it automatically cuts the pump after a set amount of time, so no concerns for overflows, but......everytime my ATO trips, this thing just fills the back chamber until that cut off occurs, for some reason it does not notice when the float switch is off the base and deactivate. I've called Tunze twice on this, with some mixed results....likely another call today, I thought we had it fixed but she's acting all cray cray again. Decision: Grrr for now

Whats in the Tank?

Rocks! Lovely Base Rocks from John at Reefcleaners. It took some time to get the aquascape to a decent position, but I really like how it turned out. This tank has to be pretty automatic, so I'm sticking to lower upkeep corals. Right now I've just got an easy zoa and a GSP frag in there, hoping these spread to take over the tank:

photo3_zpsffcba92e.jpg

photo2_zps268aa76b.jpg

• I'm trying to keep this tank as reef-friendly as possible, so all the fish are captive raised currently. ORA clown and cardinals as of today. Other friends pending.

photo4_zpsbd980a75.jpg

• Cleaners also from reefcleaners, john sent me "14" cerths, they've taken the upper hand in my living room. All snails for me this time around, crabs just trolled me last time around

Speaking of cleaners, bonus shot from the Pacific!

Cleaning_zps29de54e1.png

/update. Keep Reefing NR.

Just spoke with the awesome customer service reps at Tunze about the ATO, apparently other nuvo and thin glass tank folks have had this problem given the magnetic interactions. They recommended a spacer between the exterior magnet and the tank. Updates pending but hoping !!

• 1 month later...

<<< is horrible about updates.

Tank is rocking. Absolutely rocking!

Nuvo owners with Tunze nano top off: Keep the cardboard, stick it between the glass and the outer mgnet. Problem fixed. Apparently the glass is too thin and will interfere, but no big deal, has been working great for a month or so.

As far as the vega, I think its actually about perfect size....there is a slightly notable difference between the center and extreme corners of the tank, but I actually prefer this. It gives a focus and an interesting look. You could also mount it higher than I Have it and there would be no dark spots. For me it's perfect, I think 2 would be too much, but to each their own

Nuvo owners with Tunze nano top off: Keep the cardboard, stick it between the glass and the outer mgnet. Problem fixed. Apparently the glass is too thin and will interfere, but no big deal, has been working great for a month or so.

I did this as well and seems to make a world of difference.

It was driving me crazy at first! Every time it would trigger the thing would fill until it hit the safety shut off timer, but them the skimmer would overflow.....cardboard to the rescue!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Photoheavy Update: Tank continues to rock out. Corals looking good! Bluespot jawfish has managed to rearrange my sandbed multiple times, he enjoys the PVC burrow I made for him as well as digging a complex network of sub-rock tunnels. Who am I to question his methods, he gets results.

Original Zoa Frag Growth:

2F216FA3-9D8F-4908-8942-3C8041EAC23F_zps

Nice purple zoas from Reef Gardener, color isn't quite right under the vega photo-wise, they are a nice dark purple in person

20EBCE65-AA8E-4626-A841-FA9832DD602E_zps

Interesting mystery chalice, hoping this continues to grow and color up for me!

0D2D4AB4-3C4B-424E-A1A0-514717DABDBD_zps

New green acan:

87162C12-B37B-4D55-B513-301BAB070122_zps

Resident Real Estate Agent/King of the North:

2cdfe72e-7fa1-4f0b-93ce-e37e59fbcbd9_zps

Apologies for camera quality, everything is via cell phone camera. Will attempt to bust out DSLR in near future!

Keep reefing NR!

Bluespot jawfish continues to troll, he has setup a network of burrows throughout the tank, I have pulled almost all the corals up off the sandbed to combat his excavation efforts. Seems to be getting along really well though, with the exception of piling my sandbed to several lopsided inches in a a few places. As expected I suppose. He does love his PVC nest, when he isn't busy trolling...

Archived