Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How do you know it is a true Rose Bubble Tip Anemone?

Seiryoku

Was at a LFS over the weekend that had RBTA for sale. Was examining them closely and noticed the body and base of the tentacles had a lot of greenish highlights. Asked if that was normal and was told it is actually how you positively identify a true RBTA.

I've never heard of that, is it accurate?

icedearth15324

Without knowing the origin, it's probably difficult. I've seen what's called "Rose Bubble Tips" at my one LFS, and they are no where near as rosey as my RBTA is. Sometimes you gotta be careful because they will fetch hefty price tags and just be pinkish normal bubble tips.

My RBTA is a nice deep red color mixed with some purple and some pink.

• 2 weeks later...
Paandemonium

Rose bubble tips are a name given to basically all red anemones. If it has green and red its generally referred to as a "rainbow bubble tip" (which I dont agree with**). You'll see a lot of brownish/red anemones and that brownish color comes from a combination four of forces; water quality, light, feeding and anemone genetics(yes I said anemone genetics lol). In general many of them will turn a lovely deep red in proper conditions. My definition of a RBTA is a nice bright red anemone with a blue/purple base/oral disk.

Note: When buying some BTAs that dont have bubbly tips make sure it is actually a BTA and not a dyed LTA, it happens more than you would think it does.....

When in doubt buy an anemone with lineage(infernos, flames) or if you are buying from hobbyists on a forum go back through their thread and see how the anemone has changed over time and on the week of the split it'll show you everything you need to know.

** Rainbow anemones in my opinion should have more than just red and green. To be a true rainbow IMO it should be green, some yellow, red and then purple/blue tips. Otherwise you paid $150 for something you could have gotten for $50....

surgicalsense

Mine has a light orangish body and the end of the tentacles are green with a brighter orange on the tips. Called Tequila Sunrise color variation.

Paandemonium

Mine has a light orangish body and the end of the tentacles are green with a brighter orange on the tips. Called Tequila Sunrise color variation.

LA Reefs?

surgicalsense

LA Reefs?

I got the lil guy from my Vivid Reefs here in Albuquerque which is my LFS. So depending on where he may get his stock, I did not ask him. Same nem Zia has, just does not look at beautiful as his. My percs are ruff with it :( ... but is still eating and thriving.

I have been debating how to isolate it, I have been giving a bunch of advise. Just not completely sure.

Paandemonium

I got the lil guy from my Vivid Reefs here in Albuquerque which is my LFS. So depending on where he may get his stock, I did not ask him. Same nem Zia has, just does not look at beautiful as his. My percs are ruff :( ... but is still eating and thriving.

Oh damnnnn I thought it was from LA reefs because that's what they call some of their morphs.

Mannnnnn I wish I had that problem, the clown I have right now has three anemones to choose from and hasn't even rubbed on one -.- (aka the reason I'm trading it)

surgicalsense

Oh damnnnn I thought it was from LA reefs because that's what they call some of their morphs.

Mannnnnn I wish I had that problem, the clown I have right now has three anemones to choose from and hasn't even rubbed on one -.- (aka the reason I'm trading it)

Zia and I just happened to get our nems from the same LFS here. Vivid Reefs.

I honestly did not think my perc were going to do anything with it, well maybe the male because he would host my froggy I used to have and has also hosted and ruffed up my poor duncan. I just moved the little guy into a shot glass on one of my shelf rocks in the tank. The clowns are a bit confused, but I hope this gives the nems tentacles to restore/regrow at least :happy:

Paandemonium

Zia and I just happened to get our nems from the same LFS here. Vivid Reefs.

I honestly did not think my perc were going to do anything with it, well maybe the male because he would host my froggy I used to have and has also hosted and ruffed up my poor duncan. I just moved the little guy into a shot glass on one of my shelf rocks in the tank. The clowns are a bit confused, but I hope this gives the nems tentacles to restore/regrow at least :happy:

You sure it'll stay in the shot glass? :lol: (oh the struggles of keeping anemones lol) My next pair of clowns WILL cuddle with my anemones.... I'm moving them into a 5 gallon tank with 5 small anemones.... they will have no choice! muahahahaha(please note this is a very temporary living situation the tank will be a little xenia tank for my office once the clowns grow out of it.. aka two or three months lol)

surgicalsense

You sure it'll stay in the shot glass? :lol: (oh the struggles of keeping anemones lol) My next pair of clowns WILL cuddle with my anemones.... I'm moving them into a 5 gallon tank with 5 small anemones.... they will have no choice! muahahahaha(please note this is a very temporary living situation the tank will be a little xenia tank for my office once the clowns grow out of it.. aka two or three months lol)

Until I get home from work, I sure hope so :unsure: I will get a suction up soap dish thing. I do think my nem will be alright.

Sweet, that will be a pretty neat looking 5g. I can kind of picture it. I hope your clowns figure it out fast :lol: ... I have a small pico with xenias in right now. But, my lights suck so they are not as pretty as they are in my NC.

Paandemonium

Until I get home from work, I sure hope so :unsure: I will get a suction up soap dish thing. I do think my nem will be alright.

Sweet, that will be a pretty neat looking 5g. I can kind of picture it. I hope your clowns figure it out fast :lol: ... I have a small pico with xenias in right now. But, my lights suck so they are not as pretty as they are in my NC.

I think ill be going with a par38 over the tank to get things going ^-^

surgicalsense

I moved the nem in a small glass pudding cup :D ... the clowns have not been able to ruff the nem for 2 days now. The nem is all ready showing signs of improvement.

I need 30 par for my pico <_< ... I dislike being strapped for $$$ when a tank needs upgrades asap.

Paandemonium

I moved the nem in a small glass pudding cup :D ... the clowns have not been able to ruff the nem for 2 days now. The nem is all ready showing signs of improvement.

I need 30 par for my pico <_< ... I dislike being strapped for $$$ when a tank needs upgrades asap.

The struggle of being broke D:

Archived