Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Spec V build

tsunamee

About 3 years ago, I had a 15g nano reef which was taken over by green hair and bubble algae. I was going to slowly bring it back to life, but found out I needed the extra room for another addition in my life. My now 2 year old, paid a visit to the pet store and his interest in fish rekindled my own. So here we are with a new build.

Equipment

Fluval Spec Vl

Stock Lighting (will most likely upgrade to a DIY LED)

Stock Pump in return chamber

Hydor Theo 100w Heater in return chamber (from old setup... not sure if I should get a lower wattage heater)

Media basket made of eggcrate in overflow chamber

Hydor Pico Evolution Mini 1200 in overflow chamber

Hydor Flo

Live Rock (not sure how many pounds, but it should be sufficient)

The Live rock is currently curing in a separate container. After the rock cures, will I start a mini cycle by adding it to the tank with new water? I plan on adding one clown a cleaner shrimp and clean up crew. I'm not sure on doing any corals yet. We'll see. Here are some pics of what I have so far.

Full shot

DSC09228_LR_zps983a7e59.jpg

Hydor flo and siliconed hole on lower wall

DSC09236_LR_zpsb42d02c8.jpg

Not sure If I needed to, but siliconed slit between the two chambers

DSC09237_LR_zps315bd974.jpg

Lexan has slit between media rack and overflow wall to sit in. Water level can be adjusted with different size pieces.

DSC09231_LR_zps1681ea12.jpg

Media Rack. I will most likely use fillter floss on top and chemi pure elite in the middle. The bottom provides clearance for the pico

DSC09232_LR_zps46044894.jpg

Top view without media rack

DSC09234_LR_zps05f87ed4.jpg

Top view with media rack

DSC09230_LR_zpsc1b3393c.jpg

For your DIY here's a thread to skim over.

This will be very useful.Thanks!

looks good. what are you planning to stock with?

One clown, one cleaner shrimp, and a CUC. I haven't decided on corals yet.

iamarchitecture

How did the media basket work out for you? Wondering if i should go the full eggcrate route or attemp a plexi/eggcrate version.

From what I've tested when trying the pumps out, it's working like it should. I have yet to put this in production though. I'm waiting for my live rock to finish curing.......it's taking forever!

So I decided to go ahead with the diy led retrofit. My lr finished curing as well, so in the tank it went. Back to the lights... I ended up ordering 2 RB 2NW with the adjustable driver and a moonlight kit, which basically contains 2 RB and a less powerful driver.

The kit from rapid and hacked up spec v light.

DSC09239_zpsd7a545cd.jpg

Heatsink made with aluminum stock from hw store. I polished it up a bit for good contact.

DSC09241_zps3e37b333.jpg

DSC09242_zpsbd4e5572.jpg

LEDs in and acrylic splash guard installed.

DSC09249_zpsbc8153fb.jpg

Decided to add a couple of extra heatsinks to the backside of where the leds are attached to the bar.

DSC09258_zpsd1c3391d.jpg

Now for some light. I tried my best to replicate the color on my camera, but it ended up being a little bit more purple/blue. I'm to lazy to do any post processing right now.

This is with the moonilight kit on (2 RB @ lower power) and the 2 RB 2NW @ about 50-60%. Ran it like this with just the bar heatsink for 6 hours and it was barely warm.

DSC09253_zpsc6a6f19a.jpg

This is just the moonlight kit. Picture is a little saturated.

DSC09254_zpsf724a8e3.jpg

This is with the moonlight kit on and the 2 RB 2NW @ 100%. Ran it like this for an hour and the I had to take my finger off of the heatsink after a few seconds. Running it like this will require a fan, but I won't need to run it this bright.

DSC09256_zpsd8a72620.jpg

I have yet to test the lights after adding the 2 extra heatsinks.

The simplify of the lighting upgrade is brilliant. Even lighting and stock look.

The bar is definitely the best lighting style of peninsula if you want even light.

So I'm thinking about adding an ATO, but there's so little room. I plan on sticking the float switch in the return chamber, so I will have to find a smaller heater. I also thought about getting a couple of the small 7.5 heaters (one in each chamber) and putting them on a controller, because most if not all lack a thermostat. Any ideas?

I decided to take a chance on the Finnex 50w titanium heater, because of it's dimensions and it ended up being a perfect fit allowing room for the float sensor. You can sort of see through the frosted glass.

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/tsunamee02/media/DSC09283_E_zpsf09b565a.jpg.html'>DSC09283_E_zpsf09b565a.jpg

Some livestock...... CUC added last week and and clown this week. Corals later.

1 x Blue Leg

2 x Cerith

1 x Skunk Cleaner

2 x Astrea

1 x Snowflake

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/tsunamee02/media/DSC09275_zpsda927797.jpg.html'>DSC09275_zpsda927797.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/tsunamee02/media/DSC09281_zpsdb99bc5d.jpg.html'>DSC09281_zpsdb99bc5d.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/tsunamee02/media/DSC09274_zps19d4e319.jpg.html'>DSC09274_zps19d4e319.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/tsunamee02/media/DSC09277_zps9a2c0401.jpg.html'>DSC09277_zps9a2c0401.jpg

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/tsunamee02/media/DSC09279_zps6678cf0a.jpg.html'>DSC09279_zps6678cf0a.jpg

The pump / filter rack setup in the overflow chamber is awesome. Same goes for the light. I may convert to what you have after seeing it as I hung a much larger heatsink with 60 degree optics above mine about 12 inches. I'm not sure you could fit an ATO in there though. Good thing about this tank with the cover is that you end up with very little evaporation. But it does raise some concern if you leave town for more than a week or so.

Nice setup man.

I have a spec v already setup myself and recently read about people closing the slit on the chamber divider. Is there a way for me to seal the hole, seeing as my tank is already stocked?

Will it give me any benefit to seal the slits? Os it worth the extra effort?

The pump / filter rack setup in the overflow chamber is awesome. Same goes for the light. I may convert to what you have after seeing it as I hung a much larger heatsink with 60 degree optics above mine about 12 inches. I'm not sure you could fit an ATO in there though. Good thing about this tank with the cover is that you end up with very little evaporation. But it does raise some concern if you leave town for more than a week or so.

Thanks! It's working great so far. I actually fit a float sensor in there after getting a new heater. I was having to top off twice a day. Probably because of the heater in that chamber and the surface agitation I have.

Yeah I totally stole the rack design except mine sits lower in the chamber.

That's why I posted... Too give people with the same tank ideas. I nabbed a few ideas from these forums myself :)

Nice setup man.

I have a spec v already setup myself and recently read about people closing the slit on the chamber divider. Is there a way for me to seal the hole, seeing as my tank is already stocked?

Will it give me any benefit to seal the slits? Os it worth the extra effort?

I've heard of people sealing this post setup with some reef safe epoxy. There is benefit to sealing the one on the false wall, but I'm not sure about the one in the chamber divider. I did that one for the heck of it. My water level doesn't even go that high unless I turn the pumps off.

I actually like the look of sand, but I thought I would try bb out. Maintenance has been quicker and easier for me. I'm still new to it, so I haven't experienced any of the other advantages.

what is the ATO you used?

It's a DIY ATO.... float sensor, relay, extension cord, reservoir, and aqualifter.

How do you like that Hydor Flo?

I like it, because it gives random flow. My frogspawn seems happy receiving higher flow every once in a while.

Update.....

I purchased some zoas about a week ago and they seem to be doing great. I didn't make it home in time to get pictures under the normal lights, but here is one with the royal blues. Oh yeah... temp acclimated for about 20 minutes, Bayer dip at 5mL:1cup tank water for 5 minutes, and in they went.

DSC09310_zpsbfc24a50.jpg

I be happy to if I could guarantee that I wouldn't mess your light up, but things don't always go as planned. If you were close, I would definitely help out though :). I actually modded my lights a little more. Updates with pics to come........

Back with new stats and pics of modified lighting.

Old:

4 x Royal Blue

2 x Neutral White

1 x Nano Driver with Potentiometer 700mA

1 x Moonlight Driver 350mA

1 x Nano Driver control 2 x RB and 2 X NW

1 x Moonlight Driver control 2 x RB

Passive Cooling

New:

4 x Royal Blue

2 x Neutral White

1 x Ocean Coral White

2 x Nano Driver with Potentiometer 700mA

1 x Moonlight Driver 350mA modded with potentiometer

1 x Nano Driver control 4 x RB

1 x Nano Driver control 2 x NW

1 x Moonlight Driver control 1 x OCW

Now for some pics.....

Fans installed running at 6v (very quiet) and reflection of the light configuration.

DSC09422_zps002a597c.jpg

Not the final, because I'm still light acclimating, but the lighting thus far.

RB running ~350mA, NW running at ~210mA, and OCW off

DSC09426_zpsf59039ca.jpg

RB running ~350mA, NW running at ~210mA, and OCW running at ~175mA

DSC09425_zpsd30b39e8.jpg

Archived