Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TV Show Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking!

lifebidesign

They build the tanks to the buyers specs and dreams and put in the fish that they want. After that are they supposed to babysit all these people. I'm sure they suggest to all these new owners a good quality aquarist caretaker and also that they (the owners) need to keep on top of the care of these tanks in order for them to survive. The tanks that they build I am sure are top notch and perform like they should it's up to the owners to take care of the inhabitants.

Let the owners overstock them then. Refuse to do it for them.. I understand that may make the owners go somewehre else but in the long run thats the best way to do business. "sorry guys, this is wayyyy too many fish.. You won't be very successful if you put that in there with that"

Seriously.. Use some tactics found in "How to make friends and influence people".

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oldSWseamomma

Let the owners overstock them then. Refuse to do it for them.. I understand that may make the owners go somewehre else but in the long run thats the best way to do business. "sorry guys, this is wayyyy too many fish.. You won't be very successful if you put that in there with that"

Seriously.. Use some tactics found in "How to make friends and influence people".

I'm not sure just how much they overstock - some of those tanks are huge and have high end filtration systems on them. I'm not saying your wrong but I would like to truly find out if some of those tanks failures were due to overstocking. Okay I'm sure I'll get one of these for this comment :rant: But really some of their tanks are huge.

I'm not sure just how much they overstock - some of those tanks are huge and have high end filtration systems on them. I'm not saying your wrong but I would like to truly find out if some of those tanks failures were due to overstocking. Okay I'm sure I'll get one of these for this comment :rant: But really some of their tanks are huge.

Notice this: Many of their HUGE tanks have a tiny amount of surface area compared to volume and are quite tall

What's silly is judging a company when you don't know the whole story. While I can't say that these tanks are cycled and ready for a heavy bioload, neither can I definitively say they are not.

Aside from the stupid and obviously staged pranks I enjoy the show. Some of the tanks they do are cool and creative.

oldSWseamomma

Notice this: Many of their HUGE tanks have a tiny amount of surface area compared to volume and are quite tall

This is true for some of them, but I believe some of the tank failures (and I'm sure some of the other manufacturer's that don't have a TV show) are mostly due to the owner's not taking care of their tanks or hiring the proper people to care for them.

oldSWseamomma

You mean like this?

DSC_0354.jpg

Wow ! Gorgeous TALL tank :wub: I love it !

What's silly is judging a company when you don't know the whole story. While I can't say that these tanks are cycled and ready for a heavy bioload, neither can I definitively say they are not.

Aside from the stupid and obviously staged pranks I enjoy the show. Some of the tanks they do are cool and creative.

When I win lotto I would love for them to design my tank for me and then I would stock it myself - to me that is the fun of a tank. I'm not mechanical but I do research what creatures I want in my tank. I would love that Feng-shui (sp?) tank they created. And yes, enough with the phoney 3 stooges pranks - more informative info on the fish and Reef Imports. I want to work there !

why are you attacking them? You're judging a reputable company based on a reality tv show and gimmick tanks for tv..

A reputable company wouldn't sell themselves out and consistently put animals in an environment that isn't suitable for them. This "reputable" company is knowingly killing animals so they can line their own pockets.

A reputable company wouldn't sell themselves out and consistently put animals in an environment that isn't suitable for them. This "reputable" company is knowingly killing animals so they can line their own pockets.

And how is that any different than the beef industry or the tuna industry or blah blah... They all kill animals to line their pockets. Get over it, these guys try to provide homes for them, mistakes happen.. If you know so much better than they do, how is it they run a successful tank manufacturing company and got their own tv show? Yeah. You're right.. They probably don't have a clue..

Sick of this hippy crap attitude. They're animals, it happens. Of course it sucks, especially when it's your intention to find them a new home, but we are making a huge deal about a couple fish/sharks.. Many more die from by-catch and natural causes every day.. That's not even mentioning those hunting sharks for fin soup..

Sick of this hippy crap attitude. They're animals, it happens. Of course it sucks, especially when it's your intention to find them a new home, but we are making a huge deal about a couple fish/sharks.. Many more die from by-catch and natural causes every day.. That's not even mentioning those hunting sharks for fin soup..

*Gets popcorn*

Opinions and buttholes.... Opinions and buttholes.

And how is that any different than the beef industry or the tuna industry or blah blah... They all kill animals to line their pockets. Get over it, these guys try to provide homes for them, mistakes happen.. If you know so much better than they do, how is it they run a successful tank manufacturing company and got their own tv show? Yeah. You're right.. They probably don't have a clue..

There's a massive difference between sustenance and entertainment.

And I've spent my life working for people who somehow run successful businesses but still don't have a clue what they're doing. It just depends on how much of an ass you can be to get your way.

Can you say that this tank has cycled and aged appropriately to handle the coral they put in?

And really. Ten clarkii clownfish?

How do you know how much time has passed from the set up to the stocking? You can always tell when they rush on stocking a tank by the clarity of the water. Did you ever noticed that one second the tank is cloudy, like you would expect from a freshly filled tank. Then the next second the tank water is clear as they are adding fish. I don't think you guys understand how TV shows like this work. Some of those builds take months from start to finish when they do the reveal. The reality is that tank has been up and running for a while. Its all staged for the TV show. Now some time they do rush things and I am sure the LS pays the price for it.

How do you know how much time has passed from the set up to the stocking? You can always tell when they rush on stocking a tank by the clarity of the water. Did you ever noticed that one second the tank is cloudy, like you would expect from a freshly filled tank. Then the next second the tank water is clear as they are adding fish. I don't think you guys understand how TV shows like this work. Some of those builds take months from start to finish when they do the reveal. The reality is that tank has been up and running for a while. Its all staged for the TV show. Now some time they do rush things and I am sure the LS pays the price for it.

If the build takes months, then this "We need to get this done overnight" is a lie. Either they're liars or doing terrible things for the fish.. Water clears up pretty quickly if you get it cycled through fast.

While I don't like Tanked, it is a "show". Most everything they do is for effect and entertainment.

If you notice, their tanks are FOWLR tanks and they use real ocean water, I think Carib sea or catalina, into their tanks and put the fish in. I've used Catalina for over a year, it is water that is basically straight from the ocean, with all the bacteria that a tank gains when it cycles. This is how they are able to stock a tank immediately. Is it right? Hell no!

I don't appreciate that they do this and I think it should have a disclaimer just like you see for every car ad "don't try this at home".

But on another note, considering how much this water costs, filling up their custom tanksbwith water alone is $$$$$$

I'd love to have them show the tank's 45 days later when the bright plastic coral inserts are all covered in brown scummy diatoms and you can hardly see through the glass lol

Don't forget this aspect- they show them visiting their favorite fish vendor and that guy WANTS to sell fish and whatever his customer wants he gives it to them. You don't hear him making comments about their selections as far as compatibility or size, etc. So, they're not the only ones to blame. But I agree that they say they create tanks. Didn't mean they were pros at stocking. And still very wrong though.

My husband and I always said they needed to have the followup show 2 wks later but that would easily sink the show.

I'm pretty sure they include professional maintenance contracts as part of the sale. UV is also standard equipment (as they typically aren't reef tanks). So I'm not sure how nasty they actually get or what other methods they use to keep it under control (algaecides, hydrogen peroxide, or something else). They really don't talk about it.

Most public aquariums also have non reef safe fish in a reef looking display (with fake corals). When kept up, they don't look that bad. I think you have to brush them off regularly. Also certain fish can help keep things clean. Although you never hear them talking about a cleanup crew.

Archived