Top Shelf Aquatics

The Graveyard-Shiznit is hitting the fan!

jadedanime

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel<3Nanos

This is where the hose drops.

9112497485_02ce000e2e_z.jpg

And this is the clamp and hose on the inlet pipe. You can also see the return hose next to it.

9112492967_621d8ab33e_z.jpg

Sorry the pics arw bad quality, thats as much as I can get. And I almost drop my phone trying to take them haha lol

Also the hose is not dirty lol the original color is brown :D

There is no black sand within thirty miles of my house. Wtf. Lol did find a LFS with awesome frag deals though.

So online I go. Considering the indo-pacific mix of black and white sand from CaribSea. Don't care that its live. Cuz that's a false statement lol. I just think its pretty :)

The pink sand isn't really....pink. It's like.....beige with flecks of pink. Lame.

Gotta get the tubing from Ace eventually....

Gotta find base rock too. Maybe ill just buy it from my LFS in Cleveland. But that means a lot of driving again. And just for rock.... Idk. Ugh.

Also planning mantis foods. So far I've got krill, clams, and live snacks. (Hermits, nassarius snails, ceriths)

Just ordered some indo-pacific mixed black and white sand from marine depot. It's on back order, so when it comes in I will mix some water and get this party started! Hopefully my LFS around here has some decent priced live rock. I realized I cannot spare any from my pico. Oh we'll.

So I'm planning my rock scape. I think I want to go with a castle-esque look.

Here's a sketch. I want a PVC pipe in the center with four openings. What size PVC, I'm not sure yet. The blue is just two dead sps skeletons, sort of as pillars of a sort. I know they will probably get knocked over or moved, but still it's the principle of the thing. Lol

I want a giant skeleton in top, sort of like the dome of major cathedrals and the Taj Mahal. Idk I think it's pretty. But depending on if I can find the pieces, and if they are expensive, the design may change.

post-77492-0-38670400-1372095239_thumb.jpg

Islandoftiki

Your mantis will probably block off two of the holes. Make sure they are all in places of good visibility or just have two.

I figure it would give it something to do all day, blocking the holes that is lol

Leaning towards the wennerae :)

Your mantis will probably block off two of the holes. Make sure they are all in places of good visibility or just have two.

Tiki what size PVC do you suggest? Would two inch be good? Or should I try for three inch?

Man I just keep posting don't I? Lol

Found an awesome deal on maxi minis... Three shipped for under $100, bright yellows, oranges, and reds included! Although I think I would want a yellow, green and maybe pink. I want BAM colors lol :)

Not telling you where it is because I can't buy yet and you guys can't get to it first! Mhuahaha lol

Another more complicated doodle. This time more like a two story house.

The purple, yellow and light blue are maxi minis. The red is my pillars of sps skeleton again. Orange is rock. Lime is PVC of course.

The maroon is dragons breathe.

The dark green dots are zoas.... Can't really represent them very well lol...

Grey with pink is OBVIOUSLY pink tipped frogspawn. Duh.

I didn't put any gorgs or rics or anything else but they may still end up in there.

I think this scape is more more....doable. Basically a four sided pyramid over the PVC, and two or three rocks t creat a second layer. May be too much rock though...we will see.

post-77492-0-44901400-1372138470_thumb.jpg

Islandoftiki

Tiki what size PVC do you suggest? Would two inch be good? Or should I try for three inch?

Rule of thumb is two to three times the diameter of the body for most species. Two should be more than enough. My 5" peacock has a 3" piece of pipe but she piles rocks around the entrances to make a hole about twice her body diameter.

Rule of thumb is two to three times the diameter of the body for most species. Two should be more than enough. My 5" peacock has a 3" piece of pipe but she piles rocks around the entrances to make a hole about twice her body diameter.

Ok well I think a two inch would be fine then.

fretfreak13

Also keep in mind...PVC is fugly. Your mantis wont cover it completely, so when you do construct the PVC slab a bunch of glue/silicone on that sucker and roll it around in the sand you're going to use.

I think I may have some nice coral skeletons laying around that you can have because for some reason they're not cheap. o.O If you kill a nice acro, you'd think it'd lose its value. Apparently not..lol

I'm actually gonna go look right now.

Islandoftiki

Also keep in mind...PVC is fugly. Your mantis wont cover it completely, so when you do construct the PVC slab a bunch of glue/silicone on that sucker and roll it around in the sand you're going to use.

This ^

I would also try to disguise the perfect circularness of the PVC. A perfect circle of sand covered tubing also looks a little unnatural.

My peacock has very well disguised the ends of her PVC burrow with live rock rubble. It's almost not noticeable. She's awesome like that though.

Lol thanks guys! Will do that I'll glue some rubble on there...

Fret you know how much I love you? Lol you find any?

I think I may have some nice coral skeletons laying around that you can have because for some reason they're not cheap. o.O If you kill a nice acro, you'd think it'd lose its value. Apparently not..lol

I'm actually gonna go look right now.

fretfreak13

Read that really fast...thought it said vagina..lol

Didn't look yet, its stormin outside and they're in the gay-rageeeeee

Are you high tonight? Lol

I literally just busted out laughing at the dinner table..... Nobody know why I'm laughing... Lol they think I'm mental. Ah family.

Archived