Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lumia 5.1 Build for Biocube Take 2

Horerczy

Sorry about the lack of updates. The power box is ready to be stained but the weather in the area has been very wet and unsuitable for the task at hand. I can't say the powerbox came out perfectly but I am satisfied with the results and most of the imperfections will be hidden once the stain is on any everything is a nice shade of ebony.

P7030494_zpsb6821edc.jpg

The power box.

P7030497_zpsd4548684.jpg

Minor air pockets in the wood. Nothing a little putty can't' fix.

P7030498_zps02510f71.jpg

You can see all kinds of imperfections in the wood working but I'm not a carpenter so I'm not worried about it.

I'm going to try and get some wiring finished up and do some sample shots of the frag tank since it looks like I'm going to be waiting a while on the staining. Plus I have new incentive to finish the light in the form of a new coral I bought from Petco today.

For the sake of comparison with the Lumia build later here's some pictures of it under T8 Fluorescents and a Wavepoint Microsun 8 watt Daylight/Super Blue LED lighting. You can tell the one with the Wavepoint by the extreme amount of blue in the picture. Can't wait to see what full spectrum does to this guy.

P7030486_zps96d18bda.jpg

P7030492_zpsfca05971.jpg

Ignore the bright green ball corals in the background (I know it's not a coral. It's algae. Lesson learned on crappy superglues)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news and Bad news. The good news it I was able to wire up part of the fixture today. :) The bad news is I broke three wire leads on the DE-15 connector. :(

P7060499_zpsa797725f.jpg

P7060502_zps821bd406.jpghttp://smg.photobucket.com/user/misogi/media/P7060501_zps7ca67204.jpg.html'>P7060501_zps7ca67204.jpg

It almost lives!

Funny story. While I was trying to wire this up I couldn't get power to the terminal block to make sure everything was wired up right. After 15 minutes of testing all the components it turns out that one of the connectors was upside down so I was trying take voltage readings from wires that weren't attached to anything. :P

gulfsurfer101

Reported for being so much more awesome than my build! Haters gonna hate! Nice job though, I was looking into using these over my 150g but costs of powering three to four of these is getting out of my price bracket. I'm following along to see how this turns out though cause I'm curious to see how it will then out.

How the frack are you running only half of that channel?

Its cool blue with TV so i think the TV is overshadowed by the CB.

So close to getting the electricals done. Somewhere in the wiring there is an error keeping my royal blue channel and 20mm cool blue stars from lighting.

P7120504_zps6ae68626.jpg

I got some new wire today. Stranded 22 Gauge.

P7120505_zpsa16bd928.jpg

Got new DSub connectors today as well. One is to replace the one with broken leads since I don't feel like undoing all the soldering on it to fix the leads that are broke the other is a male DE-9 connector so I can drop using the gender changer and get the cable on tighter.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/misogi/media/P7130511_zpsd410ed36.jpg.html'>P7130511_zpsd410ed36.jpg

Everything wired up on the floor in one big mess. Can't wait till It stops raining so I can finally stain that friggin box. It will probably be a day that I'm working though ....

P7130512_zps87b8c97b.jpg

UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!

Ok not really. The RB and the 20mm Stars are the only things not lit here. I know it's a wiring issue though as I took working leads and swapped them out to make sure it wasn't the stars themselves.

P7130513_zps4ee26604.jpg

Controller works. I figured out that clouds really don't work well with a single Lumia. it looks weird when half the channels drop by half and the others don't.

Also don't set clouds to 50%. The channels will bounce back and forth faster than mating epileptic rabbits.

I was going to get a FTS of the frag tank with what channels were working today but by the time I got done the normal lights were already off for some time and I don't want to disturb the corals rest time for pictures I can take later.

Ok getting a little annoyed now. Either the terminal block has grounded, or a wire has broken inside the DE-15 cable. Alternatively there is an invisible solder bridge somewhere.

The drivers are fine individual channel testing runs fine. But two channels will invariably not light up. Gonna switch out the VGA cable to see if that's the issue first. Hopefully it is because i've already resoldered the DE-15 connectors once and I dont want to have to hunt down new terminal blocks.

Ok getting a little annoyed now. Either the terminal block has grounded, or a wire has broken inside the DE-15 cable. Alternatively there is an invisible solder bridge somewhere.

The drivers are fine individual channel testing runs fine. But two channels will invariably not light up. Gonna switch out the VGA cable to see if that's the issue first. Hopefully it is because i've already resoldered the DE-15 connectors once and I dont want to have to hunt down new terminal blocks.

I assume you've already tried testing the leds with batteries? And running the led string without the terminal blocks?

I assume you've already tried testing the leds with batteries? And running the led string without the terminal blocks?

I swapped a set of leads I knew was working up the terminal blocks to test each string. So i'm assuming solder bridge or bad VGA cable.

Checked the continuity of my DE-15 Cable. Two pair pins that were being used have no continuity. Going to have to resolder the connectors now. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

All channels are up an running!

P7210585_zpsa59277c3.jpg

Channels running at minimum.

P7210586_zpscc2a217a.jpg

Closeup of channels

P7210587_zps3f48dcc5.jpg

Wooo!!!!!

There was still a continuity error somewhere with one of the channels so I combined the HV and TV/CB channels in parallel.

I almost did the two CB with the CB/TV channels before I realized the different FVs would have made that not work so well.

Now all I need to do is the fans and hang it. and get the power box stained.

• 1 month later...

Unable to do pictures of the light over corals tonight because my light was off all day so the corals are super ticked. >.>"

here's the tank it's going over though and the soon to be residents.

P8240594_zpsb68b68e1.jpg

P8240595_zps74a22dc7.jpg

P8240601_zpsf630d996.jpg

P8240602_zpsdd772a3a.jpg

Clarki's, There's a Regal demoiselle as well but it's always hiding.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/misogi/library/#/user/misogi/library/Makers%20Heatsink%20Test?sort=3&page=1&_suid=137740481823502851422448242517

I'll pick through the pictures in the link and tell what some of them are pictures of later but I'm in a bit of a hurry right now.

Lumia over my ten gallon frag tank. Also individual channel shots. (The HV channel and TV/CB channel are run in paralel so they're shot together).

It has a really nice look to it when everthing is run at 100% but I'll probably turn the NW channel down a tad to make it a little bluer. Not a lot bluer but just a little bluer.

• 4 weeks later...

The good news today is I have finished the box finally and have painted the conduit it will hang from.

Unfortunately my DE-15 VGA cable has fried in too many spots to be even remotely useful. Turns out draging 700mA with voltages between 7.2V and 38V isn't good for the cable (go figure. really should have seen that coming).

Tomorrow I'm going to swing by radioshack and pick up some 15 pin male connectors, shields, and something to cover the wire and make my own cable. I don't think it will be nessesary to replace the DE-9 cable since the fans are far less power intensive.

So I was getting ready to solder the new 15 pin connectors and i decided that i didn't want to mess with all that soldering for the umpteenth time decided to ram a dremel bit through the connector and just run wires through that instead. Turned out pretty good all things considered.

9efb883c-8bdd-4194-9e07-74be9040d0bc_zps

P9260668_zps36b95a5b.jpg

P9260667_zps7a9598d7.jpg

P9260666_zps3f11c0f2.jpg

Archived