Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine NUVO 24 broke =(

vasol

HammerheadV13

I just ordered a MP10, hearing that all the cracked ones had that in common is very concerning. Has anyone heard from Jay Wee? He was one of the first on this site to set up a Nuvo 24, and I know he runs a MP10 as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ordered a MP10, hearing that all the cracked ones had that in common is very concerning. Has anyone heard from Jay Wee? He was one of the first on this site to set up a Nuvo 24, and I know he runs a MP10 as well.

Hey man, I've been busy and out of the loop for awhile. What's going on with all these broken Nuvo 24s? Mine still standing strong. I'm probably the very first ones to own the nuvo24. And I have an mp10 running 70% power on random lagoon mode. No problems at all. I got mine from Aquacave and delivered by UPS.

Cheap crap that is outrageously overpriced! I ended up with about 2 lbs of sand in my back chambers cause my bottom seam came apart on my Nuvo 30! I fixed it myself but now am wondering if I will wake up to a flood one morning!! Plus I have seen coke bottles with better glass clarity!! Should of got a PICO

They are cheap crap made in China...you get what you pay for, I know this as I had a terrible experience with them myself.

Have you ever bought a mass produced tank before? The quality of the Nuvos is absolutely inline with or better than other mass produced tanks. Compare the Nuvo to a Fluval, Marineland, JBJ, Coralife, or Red Sea tank. It's going to have much better quality than a Fluval or Marineland and be on par with a JBJ, Coralife, or Red Sea. Only JBJ offers a rimless bent corner option that competes with the Nuvo and from what I've seen the quality on the two is very similiar. Nobody should buy any product they don't support, but saying that Nuvos are cheap crap is blatantly untrue.

I'd advise everyone to stop buying their products. They started out great with customer service, but now they are crap. I own two IM 38's and stand and also had a 16. I bought two skimmers and reactors as well. We all know how crappy their skimmers are but they assured me they would help with all the micro bubbles. That was 4 months ago. I've messaged them and nothing. They told me "we've forwarded your messages to the R&D department to further assist you". Still nothing.

My Nuvo 24 and Nuvo 16 cracked. They sent me a replacement Nuvo 24, WHICH I DID NOT WANT. I wanted a refund. So now I'm stuck with a tank I do not want and I just threw away my Nuvo 16 after taking pictures. They don't give refunds. I ordered a PicO II and it should be here anytime now. Probably will come in next week. DO NOT BUY FROM INNOVATIVE MARINE.

It sucks that you guys had bad experiences with the tank, but I have a hard time believing that Stephen gave you bad customer service. I've spoken with him a number of times and have gotten nothing but honest answers and having him go out of his way to make me feel important. I'm not invalidating your experiences; just simply saying that one of the reasons I support Innovative Marine is because they've always given me excellent customer service - better than I've received from Red Sea or any other reef companies.

Breakthecycle2

Have you ever bought a mass produced tank before? The quality of the Nuvos is absolutely inline with or better than other mass produced tanks. Compare the Nuvo to a Fluval, Marineland, JBJ, Coralife, or Red Sea tank. It's going to have much better quality than a Fluval or Marineland and be on par with a JBJ, Coralife, or Red Sea. Only JBJ offers a rimless bent corner option that competes with the Nuvo and from what I've seen the quality on the two is very similiar. Nobody should buy any product they don't support, but saying that Nuvos are cheap crap is blatantly untrue.

It sucks that you guys had bad experiences with the tank, but I have a hard time believing that Stephen gave you bad customer service. I've spoken with him a number of times and have gotten nothing but honest answers and having him go out of his way to make me feel important. I'm not invalidating your experiences; just simply saying that one of the reasons I support Innovative Marine is because they've always given me excellent customer service - better than I've received from Red Sea or any other reef companies.

No, i never said he gave me bad customer service, however, I am stuck with two POS skimmers that he assured me would be fixed one way or another. That was in June. Not one returned phone call or email or even facebook message.

I didn't have bad customer service, I had great customer service. I was just unhappy with my Nuvo 24 and Nuvo 16 cracking in the same spot. I had two MP10w ES' on them and everybody I talk to down here in Louisiana that have experienced a cracked Nuvo had at least one MP10 on them.

• 1 month later...

My IM Nuvo 38 was set up and running nicely for eights months. I came home from work one morning, and found my return pump making a loud noise, and my living room floor full of water. I had to give all my corals and fish away. I had about five thousand dollars invested in equipment, fish and corals. Upon investigating the cause, it looked like a seam gave way. Very disheartening. Gosh I hate Space Junk. Do you have any recommendations for a replacement. Thanks in advance.

WOW that is crazy all the issues with the 24. I have a 16g that has been up for almost a year and is doing good, ordered from BRS and shipped to me. I was about to order a mp10 but I think that the pulseating of the power unit migt put stress on the glass. I think the IM is a good product for mass produced tanks but just like every company they are always looking at ways of making more profit thus relating into products that are cheaper made. I kinda want to look at the 38 but now I will research more.

• 1 month later...

I have had my nuvo 24 for a few months now and the first thing i noticed when setting it up was how sloppy the silicone is around all the seams but it held water fine. After a few weeks it started loosing about 24 oz of water a day. Its not near a heater or anything like that, that would be raising the evaporation rate. It is leaking along the bottom edge, I am going to contact IM and see whatthey have to say and what they will do. It is very sad considering how over priced these tanks are. I should have stuck to the conventioanl style tank.

• 1 month later...

I own almost every AIO tank made in the past 8 years, and the odd balls I have played with in person.

They are no where near the Red Sea, Coralife, Oceanic, Current aquariums. They are in line with JBJ, which are most likely made in the same factory.

Innovative Marine 24 Nano - This happened Friday. Never again.

evhGY7P.jpg

WOW, action shot, sorry to see that

I own almost every AIO tank made in the past 8 years, and the odd balls I have played with in person.

They are no where near the Red Sea, Coralife, Oceanic, Current aquariums. They are in line with JBJ, which are most likely made in the same factory.

WOW, action shot, sorry to see that

LFS in FL told me that IM is owned by a bunch of folks from JBJ who decided to do their own thing. I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense. Too many threads showing cracked IMs for me to own one of their tanks anymore... I'll stick with PicO or someone like that.

LFS in FL told me that IM is owned by a bunch of folks from JBJ who decided to do their own thing. I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense.

True.

The first 300 tanks where made with ~4mm glass which is fine for a 16g or less but the 24g tanks all seem to be failing.

Contact IM and they will take care of you, I'm in the process of going through an exchange myself for a tank that cracked less than 2 weeks after setup(bought it used) I'm actually putting the 400$ credit towards the fusion 30L as it looks to be a much better design.

IMHO I'm fully expecting some sort of lawsuit or class action lawsuit as the extent of damages done from these tanks far exceeds the value of the tank itself and by now they know it's a manufacturing defect.

The first 300 tanks where made with ~4mm glass which is fine for a 16g or less but the 24g tanks all seem to be failing.

Contact IM and they will take care of you, I'm in the process of going through an exchange myself for a tank that cracked less than 2 weeks after setup(bought it used) I'm actually putting the 400$ credit towards the fusion 30L as it looks to be a much better design.

IMHO I'm fully expecting some sort of lawsuit or class action lawsuit as the extent of damages done from these tanks far exceeds the value of the tank itself and by now they know it's a manufacturing defect.

You have to wonder if the problems they've had with the 24's influenced their decision to go to square corners on the new Nuvo Fusion line. I'm not saying that bent corners are always a problem, because they obviously aren't on the BioCubes, but it seems like the factory producing IM's tanks has trouble with the bent corner fabrication process.

I've been going through an abortion trying to get UPS to get me my Nuvo 16....now seeing this I am a little iffy about getting one...... Genreal consensus is ,"Don't."

I've been going through an abortion trying to get UPS to get me my Nuvo 16....now seeing this I am a little iffy about getting one...... Genreal consensus is ,"Don't."

Well the good news is that I haven't seen any Nuvo 16's that have cracked. Seems entirely contained to the Nuvo 24's. If anyone else has seen otherwise please correct me.

That's surprising to hear. Frankly, I'll stand down to your expertise and experience as I'm sure you've seen a lot more tanks in person than I have. I stand corrected. What makes the quality of the tanks less than Red Sea, Coralife, Oceanic, etc, in your opinion?

Well the good news is that I haven't seen any Nuvo 16's that have cracked. Seems entirely contained to the Nuvo 24's. If anyone else has seen otherwise please correct me.

That's surprising to hear. Frankly, I'll stand down to your expertise and experience as I'm sure you've seen a lot more tanks in person than I have. I stand corrected. What makes the quality of the tanks less than Red Sea, Coralife, Oceanic, etc, in your opinion?

This whole ordeal is an abortion. DR. Fosters didn't place the condom # on the order. then when that was straightened out, UPS made the execuative decission to send my tank to Ohio(swear to God, not making this up)? Then said they couldnt change it to next day air because of an FAA regualtion....I cancelled the order and will be driving an ohour away to the only distributor that carries them.....fuuurious.

Anyway, I should be safe with the 16 then? This thread makes me nervous as hell because I will have a mp10 on it....

This whole ordeal is an abortion. DR. Fosters didn't place the condom # on the order. then when that was straightened out, UPS made the execuative decission to send my tank to Ohio(swear to God, not making this up)? Then said they couldnt change it to next day air because of an FAA regualtion....I cancelled the order and will be driving an ohour away to the only distributor that carries them.....fuuurious.

Anyway, I should be safe with the 16 then? This thread makes me nervous as hell because I will have a mp10 on it....

The 16g is fine and even the revamped 24g are doing fine it's just the first batch of the 24g that they used the thinner glass are failing.

I'm getting the 30L fusion with my warranty credit, the square corners and much thicker glass.

The other tanks with round corners from what I've see in person are all 6mm or thicker glass, I dunno why they didn't follow industry standard from the get go.

Otherwise I've been extremely happy with the smaller nuvo tanks.

The 16g is fine and even the revamped 24g are doing fine it's just the first batch of the 24g where they used the then glass that are failing.

I'm getting the 30L fusion with my warranty credit, the square corners and much thicker glass.

The other tanks with round corners from what I've see in person are all 6mm or thicker glass, I dunno why they didn't follow industry standard from the get go.

Otherwise I've been extremely happy with the smaller nuvo tanks.

I like the Fusion 30, however, I will NOT pay 500.00 for a 30 gallon tank....I could setup a 40 breeder with a sump for that...

You should be absolutely fine with the 16 gallon. I've only seen reports of the thin glass revision 1 Nuvo 24's failing and I've seen one report of a Nuvo 30 springing a leak in the silicone. None of the revision 2 Nuvo 24's or smaller tanks have failed (at least on this forum) to the best of my knowledge.

Had a lady return one to the store claiming it was leaking everywhere.

We set it up at the store with no issues. I've seen some with issues on threads but never personally, although I don't doubt it. Most tank builders suck IMO.

Are people doing fine with the thin ones? Does anyone know if innovative will replace the thin ones for people even if they'd isn't cracked since there is a known defect?

Archived