Cultivated Reef

What is this white blob growing on my live rock? A sponge?

chicagoreef

chicagoreef

What is this white blob growing on or over my live rock? I've had my tank for about 4 months now. This appeared about a month ago and seems to be growing in size. Its about the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil.

I don't know if its hard or soft - its hard to reach in my fluval edge.

The picture needs to be rotated 90 degrees, so the blob is growing downwards. There is a second one that is also growing on the same live rock, also on the underside of one of the rock "branches."

Is this a sponge of some sort?

post-79259-0-66781900-1371147682_thumb.jpg

chicagoreef

Pineapple sponge? Sounds delicious! Could this have come in originally on the rock and just taken a few months to emerge? Or perhaps from a coral frag that I bought? I guess it doesn't matter, its in my tank now!

surgicalsense

It is a good thing. Filter feeder. I have tones of them in 2nd empty chamber in my NC.

Most likely it came from the LR.

+1 pineapple, you will see them like crazy if you feed heavy or have a lot of nutrients in the tank. They will expand or decline with your nutrient levels. great filter feeder =)

chicagoreef

Cirenus - Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't put in much of any food into the tank for the first three months - and these white blobs were barely there, but they have been growing - coinciding with my obtaining a shrimp and then a fish and actually putting in some pelletes and flakes into the tank.

I have only like 2 in my display but maybe 20-30 of varying levels of smallness in the back. But yeah, I feed my acans, blasto, dendro, duncan and rock flower anemone so more nutrients and more nitrates here as well.

BojanMilenkovic

That is such a cute pineapple sponge.It is a filter feeder and is a sign of a healthy sistem.

Archived