Cultivated Reef

IM 38 Nuvo

Coolhandreefer

Coolhandreefer

I need some advice on a skimmer. I'm thinking about getting the IM Midsize protein skimmer, hows your experience with them? Thanks! =D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any experience with the IM skimmers, but I love the tunze 9004. Makes great skimmate, runs silently and doesn't display the fish crap for everyone to see.

Coolhandreefer

I don't have any experience with the IM skimmers, but I love the tunze 9004. Makes great skimmate, runs silently and doesn't display the fish crap for everyone to see.

Do you have it in the rear of your tank in your pictures? If so I might get the tunze 9004. Nice looking tank and stand btw. I love that stone on the stand!

Do you have it in the rear of your tank in your pictures? If so I might get the tunze 9004. Nice looking tank and stand btw. I love that stone on the stand!

In the last 3 pictures, it is there. Here's a better one for you.

IMG_11131_zpse0b67fdc.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! That stand was an enormous PITA. Glad to see others like it!

Also, I love how you painted the back of your tank! I'm sure that it looks better than the black vinyl.

Coolhandreefer

That looks great in there, thanks for posting those pictures! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order that tonight.

I own the IM skimmer and it works great. It did take about 3 weeks to break in and produced a ton of micro bubbles in the beginning. Once the skimmer broke in, it has produced some excellent skimmate. Take a look!

post-80849-0-10623600-1376009665_thumb.jpg

Coolhandreefer

Thanks for posting that picture and thoughts on the IM skimmer Egginis! I decided to go with the Tunze 9004 though just because I've heard so many great reviews on Tunze and all their products and saw how well it fit in shughes38's tank. I ordered it tonight so it should be here sometime next week and then once that gets settled in then its time for more coral!! I also ordered BRS GFO so that should be here soon as well. I'll have floss, carbon, and gfo on one side in a inTank media basket and then the Tunze 9004 on the other side of the sump.

Heres a quick picture of one of the pieces of coral I picked up recently, will post a full update and pictures soon.

http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/Bakenn7/media/photo1_zpscf5d52df.jpg.html'>photo1_zpscf5d52df.jpg

Great choice. I also considered this skimmer. You should think about purchasing the modified collection cup for the Tunze from InTank. I have no experience with it but have heard great reviews.

Love the coral. Looks very meaty and healthy :)

The modified cup that inTank sells is for the 9002, which is one size smaller. It is so that you can have in in the back of a biocube and still be able to close the lid over the filter section. Good call though. After my first buying experience with inTank, I would buy pretty much anything they make lol :D

The modified cup that inTank sells is for the 9002, which is one size smaller. It is so that you can have in in the back of a biocube and still be able to close the lid over the filter section. Good call though. After my first buying experience with inTank, I would buy pretty much anything they make lol :D

Good call, just noticed it was a 9004. Thanks for the catch. I am still waiting for InTank to post their Nuvo 24 baskets. Been wanting to upgrade since I heard about them.

Any problems when you added your six line, with the maroon clown already established? I know your tank is big enough that they probably aren't running into each other all the time. I just was curious because I know the maroons are aggressive and territorial.

Also did you decide on a host yet for your maroon? Love your tank, it's coming along great.

Coolhandreefer

I love my inTank media baskets, definitely well worth the money for that upgrade. Can't wait till they make them for the 24 for you!

Coolhandreefer

Any problems when you added your six line, with the maroon clown already established? I know your tank is big enough that they probably aren't running into each other all the time. I just was curious because I know the maroons are aggressive and territorial.

Also did you decide on a host yet for your maroon? Love your tank, it's coming along great.

You know what, the Six-Line Wrasse and the Maroon Clownfish are doing great together but the Purple Pseudochromis is being a little aggressive with the Six-Line Wrasse but not to the point of me having to take him out. I don't think I'm going to get an anemone now but I am getting a hammer coral so maybe he'll host that.

Yeah I've heard they have some success hosting with the hammer. Make sure to keep us updated as I'm thinking about going the same route!

Coolhandreefer

Just got done setting up the new Tunze 9004 protein skimmer and so far so good! Quick question, where should I set the bubbles to be in the skimmer neck? Right now I have them in the middle of the neck but should they be closer to the top?

I have mine set to the bottom/middle. Any higher than the middle and it tends to have much lighter skim. It does make more crap accumulate in the neck of the collection cup.

Breakthecycle2

How does everyone stop the micro bubbles from the IM skimmer? I have two IM 38's. I cannot stop the micro bubbles. They have been going for 8 weeks. I had the same issue when I had an IM 16, but instead of the midsize skimmer, I obviously used the desktop version. With the smaller one, I was on the phone with IM every other day.

How does everyone stop the micro bubbles from the IM skimmer? I have two IM 38's. I cannot stop the micro bubbles. They have been going for 8 weeks. I had the same issue when I had an IM 16, but instead of the midsize skimmer, I obviously used the desktop version. With the smaller one, I was on the phone with IM every other day.

I gave up on that skimmer with the same issues. Bought the new CAD LIGHTS PLS 50...absolutely the best nano skimmer out there.

Going on a month now with absolutely perfect performance.

post-78856-0-54931000-1376796225_thumb.jpg

post-78856-0-33957900-1376796252_thumb.jpg

I gave up on that skimmer with the same issues. Bought the new CAD LIGHTS PLS 50...absolutely the best nano skimmer out there.

Going on a month now with absolutely perfect performance.

Really sorry to hear about your skimmer issues. My IM desktop skimmer is working great. It did take about 3 weeks to stop producing micro bubbles but once it broke in has been producing a lot of dark skimmate. I wonder if my success has to do with running the Minimax media reactor with bio pellets. I perform 3 gallon water changes daily and my nitrate and phosphate readings are at 0. I know my tank is not too clean as the skimmer is pulling out loads of crap. So I doubt that is the issue. What is your bio load like in your 38's and how often and what type of foods do you feed?

• 1 month later...
Coolhandreefer

Quick update: I've been crazy busy since classes have started but I was able to go to Manhatten Aquariums today and pick up a few new corals! So far I have a really nice looking open brain coral, Aussie Elegance, and a plain jane Duncan that has been growing like crazy (5-6 heads from 1 head in one month!). Today I picked up a beautiful black torch with neon green tips, pink chalice, and an orange/red/green Acan.

All the corals are doing great as of now, I dipped the new ones in Coral RX and they already look great. I had to take out the Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer because it was causing WAY to many micro bubbles even a month after adding it and fiddling with it and since I've taken it out the water is crystal clear! :D Also, the Sixline Wrasse disappeared and the Purple Pseudochromis was giving away because he was attacking the Sixline and Maroon, so right now the only fish in the tank is the Gold Striped Maroon.

For some reason I couldn't send the pictures I took to my e-mail so I can't post any :angry: but I will try again tomorrow!

Archived