ReefCleaners.org

Review of the Lumia 5.1 - PAR readings, pics, etc

jedimasterben

Before you do that, Send it to me to see if I can get it working for you. You'll need to pay shipping forward and back.

Hi , thanks for the support, but let me ask you how are you? are you part of Ledgrupbuy? coralux? nano-reef?

I hope you understand that I need to know who want to help me before to send all the material... :)

Thanks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite an investment to toss out. There is an issue somewhere, but it is not with the LDD or with the boards. Makes me think that something is funky with the power supplies. Are the two connected together or is one power supply running only one board, etc?

Hi my friend,

Are 2 system independents. One power supply go to the PCB and the other power supply to other different PCB.

I will try to put some pictures...

post-83392-0-66262300-1398692511_thumb.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1205076/image.jpeg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1205076/image-1.jpeg

jedimasterben

The only things I can see that I would change would be to use a 3-pin power cord to the wall (for the extra ground, this step is important, do it for both power supplies), and run another ground and power to the LDD boards. I doubt that it is the issue, but the boards do have two power inputs and two DC grounds, so I would connect them up and give it a shot.

Hi my friend,

Are 2 system independents. One power supply go to the PCB and the other power supply to other different PCB.

I will try to put some pictures...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1205076/image.jpeg'>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1205076/image.jpeg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1205076/image-1.jpeg'>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1205076/image-1.jpeg

Dude,

Youre supposed to bench test your stuff before you install it.

And I already warned you that using that raceway was a bad idea.

What is the discoloration on the top power supply. Looks smoked.

Agreed. But, please confirm - you still not testing SinkPAD MCPCB, I understand you correctly?

Yes I have multiple Sinkpads here and tested them against Noctigans, Ali, ali with no dielectric, ali with Direct thermal pump dielectric., No doubt the product is good, but its performance is marginal at lower drive and better at extreme drive

No doubt the product is good, but its performance is marginal at lower drive and better at extreme drive

Yes, sure. But for us is important not drive current, but density of heat flow. If we will use tight LED assembly with relative small current, heat flow will have big density also. By the way, we have seen approximately 20C difference for not very tight assembly relative to such assembly on good usual MCPCB. I think, it is huge difference.

Dude, Youre supposed to bench test your stuff before you install it. And I already warned you that using that raceway was a bad idea. What is the discoloration on the top power supply. Looks smoked.

It's just a reflection of other equipment in the cabinet.

Dude, Youre supposed to bench test your stuff before you install it. And I already warned you that using that raceway was a bad idea. What is the discoloration on the top power supply. Looks smoked.

Is only a reflection. no smoked.

At the end, the most technical answer are to connect the ground power supply to increase at the doble value the PAR of the lumia???

Any people check if his lumia use 540mA at 100% powerful?

jedimasterben

That's not how constant current drivers work. If they are full on, then they deliver their rated current regardless of the LEDs you are running.

Hi , thanks for the support, but let me ask you how are you? are you part of Ledgrupbuy? coralux? nano-reef?

I hope you understand that I need to know who want to help me before to send all the material... :)

Thanks

Just another LED DIY reef hobbyist.

I was just trying to help and figured no loss potential. After your pic reminded me of your build, I wouldnt touch it if you paid me good money. No offense intended, just a big spaghetti ball of risk.

Sometimes I have to remind myself of the Good Samaritan. He was killed for his good deed.

Ok, Thanks to all people that offer me his real support.

Anyway, I'm clear that these leds and drivers are not up when you decide to measure PAR. They have a nice design but a lousy performance.

I'll leave you to support a new screen t5.
Best regards
jedimasterben

Ok, Thanks to all people that offer me his real support.

Anyway, I'm clear that these leds and drivers are not up when you decide to measure PAR. They have a nice design but a lousy performance.

I'll leave you to support a new screen t5.
Best regards

There really is only way for them to work. If you are measuring 540mA from 700mA drivers, then something is not correct. For you to have two different driver boards, two different power supplies, and 10 LDD drivers all doing the exact same thing, that means that something is wrong somewhere. At this point the only thing I can think of is the Storm. Do you have a cell phone charger handy? You can use it to give a 5v signal to the PWM inputs, as with PWM if you give it 100/100 for intensity it is just a flat signal with no stepping.

There really is only way for them to work. If you are measuring 540mA from 700mA drivers, then something is not correct. For you to have two different driver boards, two different power supplies, and 10 LDD drivers all doing the exact same thing, that means that something is wrong somewhere. At this point the only thing I can think of is the Storm. Do you have a cell phone charger handy? You can use it to give a 5v signal to the PWM inputs, as with PWM if you give it 100/100 for intensity it is just a flat signal with no stepping.

Hi Ben,

I did it. I supply 5v to the inout LDD one by one, and not more than 540mA. I change the LDD for others, same result. No have more possibilities ....

Storm X is not the problem with this test, LDD was changed and same result,.... only option are the Lumia.

I'm more willing to bet the meter is out of calibration if its getting measurements like that. Do you have a backup multimeter?

jedimasterben

Hi Ben,

I did it. I supply 5v to the inout LDD one by one, and not more than 540mA. I change the LDD for others, same result. No have more possibilities ....

Storm X is not the problem with this test, LDD was changed and same result,.... only option are the Lumia.

No such thing. LEDs can only accept the current given to them by the drivers. They do not drop the current, they don't 'dissipate' the excess, there either is current from the driver in its entirety or there is no current. Any LEDs you attach to those drivers will behave the same, they will be limited to 540mA. I honestly have no clue what's going on, you've exhausted every option that I can think of unfortunately.

How exactly are you feeding the drivers the 5V signal and how did you verify that it's actually 5V?

And how exactly do you measure the current to the LEDs to 540mA and have you verified that measurement somehow.

I don't mean to start an argument with you :) it's just that if you supply a 700mA dimming driver a full 5V to the dimming input it will output 700mA, one might be defective but you see the same behavior on several drivers.

The led itself is just an analog component, a diode. Like Ben said above it can't "hide" any amps somewhere :)

How exactly are you feeding the drivers the 5V signal and how did you verify that it's actually 5V? And how exactly do you measure the current to the LEDs to 540mA and have you verified that measurement somehow. I don't mean to start an argument with you :) it's just that if you supply a 700mA dimming driver a full 5V to the dimming input it will output 700mA, one might be defective but you see the same behavior on several drivers. The led itself is just an analog component, a diode. Like Ben said above it can't "hide" any amps somewhere :)

Hi Björn.

I try to explain you...

1) How exactly are you feeding the drivers the 5V signal and how did you verify that it's actually 5V?

Measured in the DC input DLL. I make the test to put 4.5v dc with batteries and the results are the same.

2) how exactly do you measure the current to the LEDs to 540mA and have you verified that measurement somehow

With a multimeter, connected in serie at the exit of one LDD.

I just remove all the system from by aquarium, and I will do a new video with the connections and all the test that people want to show it, in my table that's more easy.

Thanks

Carlos

Archived