Coral Vue Hydros

Review of the Lumia 5.1 - PAR readings, pics, etc

jedimasterben

I don't understand either.

The hertz and megahertz of the LDD output controls the brightness.

A multi meter is not going to be able to see the oscillation, it should read the same voltage and same current at all brightness levels besides 'off'.

If one has an oscilloscope, one could see the wave.

This post is a question, if this is wrong then I completely dont know how LDDs work and need to do more research and learning.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

You're checking the voltage, you need to check current. By the forward voltages you're measuring, it appears that current will be lower than 700, as each channel should be using a little more voltage (small amounts of voltage can mean giant changes in current).

carlosmos

Hi, following with Ben recommendations , here yours have the current and voltage values...

I only connected channel nº1 of Lumia nº1 to avoid mistakes:

1% power (from Storm X device): 24.7v and 0.01A

100% power : 34.7v and 540mA

The LDD are 700mA

Specification of Storm X (http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=storm-x-led-controller)

Power unit supply 49.1v and the technical specifications of the power unit are :

Output: 48vdc and 5.2A (http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/250w-48v-5-2a-dc-power-supply/)

With this information....maybe Storm X are the problem? Why LDD don't receive 36v and 700mA?

Any suggestion or information are appreciate.

Thanks

Carlos

jedimasterben

Do you have another power supply handy to test with? At 100% the LDD should be putting out ~690-700mA. Can you test any other channels with another LDD (or even the same channel with a different LDD)?

carlosmos

Hello to everybody, here I am again :)

A lot of measurements...

1) Without any LED connected:

Input voltage: Between 0 to 5v dc, dimming with Storm X

Output voltage: 49.5v dc

2) Current values:

Current channel 1 : 540mA

Current channel 2 : 540mA

Current channel 3 : 540mA

Current channel 4 : 540mA

Current channel 5 : 540mA

3) current in each independent channel:
See the table please. I think this table have the answer....
The values of the table means that the PCB are not correct? Maybe the soldering are not correct?
Thanks for your help

Current Lumia nº2.pdf

jedimasterben

Something very strange is going on there in your array. O.o

Have you tried the second 48v power supply?

carlosmos

Yes and I have the same results.

I need help to solve this problem, because the next step will be to pull the lumia out the window ...

Thanks

jedimasterben

Yes, but what is the Storm putting out? There is no way that all five LDD are only outputting 540mA if you've tested with two power supplies (both of which work), so it makes me think that the Storm is not outputting 5v. When you set it to 100% (255 or 4096 depending on Storm or Storm X) it outputs a constant 5v, but any setting below that is the pulsing waveform of PWM but your multimeter will still read the voltage as being less than 5v. With only 540mA out of the LDD, I would imagine that your Storm is only outputting ~3.857v.

carlosmos

Thanks Ben

I hope Coralux can put his feeling in this post or in my private email...

Maybe you are right, I must check StormX are running correct, but I think is not usual to have current in all LDD if I put power only in one....

I mean, If I only put power in channel 1, the LDD nº1 must be working, but LDD between 2 and 4 must we at zero....I think so.

I'm waiting the answer from coralux...

Thanks

Carlos

jedimasterben

On the Coralux boards, there are two Vin+ and two Vin- that are from the power supply, but even if you use only one it will still power all of the LDD, as they are all tied together. This particular LDD board has 'pull-down' resistors that shut off the LDD if there is no PWM input (not the same as a '0' input if the controller is set to 0 on that channel), so if you only have one LDD getting a PWM signal, the others will still have power going to them, but will be in shut off mode and using less than a milliamp of power, each.

What would a simple package consist of, so I can play with one of these? Thinking about using one on a 2 gallon reef jar.

Reefkid88

What would a simple package consist of, so I can play with one of these? Thinking about using one on a 2 gallon reef jar.

That I would have to see !!! Would you really be willing to fork out over $200 for just a light on a jar aquarium ?

Yes. My other options are PAR38's etc, a decent one I was looking at is $120 plus ship. GU10's etc. might be a bit small for what I want. I would have to roll the dice on eBay if I wanted to spend less for a fixture with a compact footprint.

Lets see you would want:

Lumia 5.1 - 1

Coralux LDD 5up board - 1

LDD-500H Drivers - 5

~120W 48V power supply (The Meanwell HLG-120H-48A or similar would work nicely here though they are costly for their quality) - 1

5v PWM based controller (Typhon, storm, bluefish, etc) - 1

6" Makers heatsink (any heatsink will do but this comes with the fan, splash guard, etc) - 1

12v power supply for fan - 1

odds and ends:

thermal grease

Wire

solder or terminal blocks if you don't want to solder

wire sheath to make things look clean or something similar

That said I run one of these over a biocube at less than full power and keep rbtas happy it's way more than a 2 gallon jar reef would need par wise.

Nice thanks.

I was considering getting some 3 watters to experiment with but figured I'd try out that bad boy.

It may get put on a slightly larger aquarium in the future, or even the ~20 gallon frag tank I am building.

jedimasterben

It's a bit much for such a small tank. In addition, the 5.2 pretty much is an upgrade in every respect to the 5.1 and should be used instead if you're looking for a puck.

OK.

I am all over the map, I was back to looking at PAR LEDs off of eBay last night trying to find one with lots of blue. I did find a 7x3w with more blue then white I may try that for the jar.

That being said I am still going to play around with one of these.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but what is the Storm putting out? There is no way that all five LDD are only outputting 540mA if you've tested with two power supplies (both of which work), so it makes me think that the Storm is not outputting 5v. When you set it to 100% (255 or 4096 depending on Storm or Storm X) it outputs a constant 5v, but any setting below that is the pulsing waveform of PWM but your multimeter will still read the voltage as being less than 5v. With only 540mA out of the LDD, I would imagine that your Storm is only outputting ~3.857v.

Hi Ben,

I take off the Storm X and supply 4.5v with 3 batteries of 1.5v each one.

1) I supply 4.5v to one LDD , the others LDD receive tension too. (between 15 and 25vdc).

2) When I supply 4.5vdc to LDD1, have a 540mA current. Other LDD no have current. No light.

I'm still thinking that soldering PCB have a problem....

What you think?

Thanks

Carlos

jedimasterben

Ok, so you gave voltage to the dimming channel of one of the LDD (didn't say which) and the others light up, but giving it to LDD1 has only it light up? PCB issues are unlikely, but is a possibility. The chances of you having two of them that are bad, though, is extraordinarily unlikely.

Maybe I don't explain me correctly...

I supply 4.5v to LDD nº1 and channel 1 light on. Other channels light off, but receive voltage. The current in the channel 1 are 540mA when I supply this 4.5v.

I supply 4.5v to LDD nº1 and channel 1 light on. Other channels light off, but receive voltage. The current in the channel 1 are 540mA when I supply this 4.5v.

Are these 4.5V actually measured or is it what you think your batteries are putting out?

jedimasterben

If you're only supplying the 4.5v to the dimming signal of a single channel, then only that channel will output anything. All other channels should be off and have no voltage output from the LDD.

The fact that all LDD on both boards are outputting 540mA signals that there is a problem more than likely with power delivery.

How do you have the power supplies wired up? I know you have the little wire run things, but can you pull the wires out and show me?

Archived