Coral Vue Hydros

something eating my lame zoas

mbonus

Interesting. I had isopods munch on my zoas few weeks ago. Lost my entire colony of 8 rastas. And 2 bambam zoas. Very sad. I finally caught them in the act and started sucking them out with a turkey baster. They are quick mofos. Took me a couple nights. I eventually caught 3 and no more stressed zoas!

So ...get rid of it!

Interesting. I had isopods munch on my zoas few weeks ago. Lost my entire colony of 8 rastas. And 2 bambam zoas. Very sad. I finally caught them in the act and started sucking them out with a turkey baster. They are quick mofos. Took me a couple nights. I eventually caught 3 and no more stressed zoas!

So ...get rid of it!

Someone's dog ate zoas once too. Maybe it's a dog?

Couple more lame pics. My tank is mostly full of pests anyway, so I probably will monitor it for a while to see if I can catch it. The zoas are your basic brown variety, and it is possible that the thing is not eating them. We shall see.

Just have never seen any thing like this before. Sorry about the photos: cell phone with leds+no skill=poor photos

post-55855-0-07195500-1370742830_thumb.jpg

post-55855-0-89754000-1370742845_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I see the brittle stars; I have thousands of them. :)

I'm actually referring to the black tube with white bands thing in the center of the left pic. I know the pics are bad.

In the last pic it is not centered, but you can make out what appears to be a hammer shaped head.

Whatever it is, it sees me coming to the tank now and retracts when I approach.

mystery black snake 2 pdf.pdf

Here is another pic. I don't have tripod, so we are stuck with cell phone pics although this one is a little better I think.

I am looking at the black thing with the white band. It extends out and retracts into the rock when I approach the tank. You can see the bare spot where the zoas are missing on the shell they are mounted on. The black thing extends all the way to them. It really is a pretty neat little thing. I would just like to know what it is and then I'll remove the zoas from the rock and move the rock to my fowlr.

post-55855-0-91712200-1370953810_thumb.jpg

Judging by that last pic, I'd definitely say peanut worm.

Hmmm, you may be right. I never had one before and recall only seeing pictures of the ones that looked like "peanuts".

Here is an excellent photo shoot of one that looks similar to the one I have:

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/invert-index/peanut-worms-sipunculans-20656/

Peanut worms are harmless detrivores, right? Maybe it is my imagination that the zoas are missing. I will keep an eye on them.

Archived