Cultivated Reef

B's Reef

jbb

I read a lot of threads saying that you really should be hitting NSW parameters (alk mainly) if running bio pellets, but I'm wondering if running a lesser amount of pellets than recommended can still be effective while keeping elevated Alk levels. as it sits I am in the 12dKh neighborhood , and I wonder if I would just be better off running GFO/ Carbon , or maybe just a refugium. To me the pellets are just a cleaner look, and seem to be less maintenance which works well for me since I travel for work (usually 3-4 days at a time , once / twice per month) .

any thoughts ?

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Under no circumstances should you have elevated cal/alk levels in a low nutrient tank, shit will hit the fan fast.

I wouldn't bother with biopellets IMHO

Under no circumstances should you have elevated cal/alk levels in a low nutrient tank, shit will hit the fan fast.

That's pretty much what I expected to hear, I just wasn't sure if running a low amount would really strip the water to ULN levels.

jedimasterben

If you're looking to keep nutrients stable, I would look into an algae scrubber instead. Even a small one will remove an exorbitant amount of nitrate and phosphate, but the algae also will self-regulate those levels to prevent them from having no food, as well. :)

All of the scrubbers I have seen are SUCH an eyesore . I am trying to clean up the look of my system , so unless there is a clean setup I'm pretty much out on that Idea.

I would absolutely go GFO. Promoting algae growth in the sump with lights can lead to build up on float switches, etc which would be more prone to disasters...

I would absolutely go GFO. Promoting algae growth in the sump with lights can lead to build up on float switches, etc which would be more prone to disasters...

My float is in complete darkness :)

Seems that its not just pellets causing the issue :

(this is a personal response to my question.)

If you drive nutrients especially low with any means (pellets, GFO, soluble organic carbon dosing, Zeovit, etc, etc.) and IF you have SPS, it seems prudent to keep alkalinity at levels that are not too high or people sometimes get something called burnt tips on their SPS.

If you are not driving nutrients too low, then keeping alk at that level is not seemingly important, regardless of whether you use pellets or any other method of nutrient reduction.

IMO, there is no known reason for this, it is just an observation of many reefers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

jedimasterben

Seems that its not just pellets causing the issue :

(this is a personal response to my question.)

If you drive nutrients especially low with any means (pellets, GFO, soluble organic carbon dosing, Zeovit, etc, etc.) and IF you have SPS, it seems prudent to keep alkalinity at levels that are not too high or people sometimes get something called burnt tips on their SPS.

If you are not driving nutrients too low, then keeping alk at that level is not seemingly important, regardless of whether you use pellets or any other method of nutrient reduction.

IMO, there is no known reason for this, it is just an observation of many reefers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Yep, all of those help make a ULNS. If you were to increase filtration (better skimming, ATS, etc) and increase feeding, then you will still have increased growth from the food input but without the side effects of feeding ungodly amounts :)

All of the scrubbers I have seen are SUCH an eyesore . I am trying to clean up the look of my system , so unless there is a clean setup I'm pretty much out on that Idea.

Pax bellum llc. Makers of ARID. Algae remediation illumination device. It's a reactor looking algae scrubber.

Pax bellum llc. Makers of ARID. Algae remediation illumination device. It's a reactor looking algae scrubber.

$750 !!!

Is that for the nano size?

No , that is for the regular 24" base model. The nano still hasn't been released.

Archived