Coral Vue Hydros

B's Reef

jbb

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh dang. I forgot to tell you. Those elastic bracelets are for the little lady. My niece sent them for her Where is the reef chilli feeding bottle?

And the peanuts?

Feeding bottle was sitting on the bar (forgot to put it in the pic) , the peanuts were being eaten , and I'm wearing the bracelets .

Hey Ninja, I was telling a forum member about the clam constant light treatment test we did. He had some questions like how did the corals respond to the constant light and stuff. I know you are busy so whenever you have some time, would you do one post with before and after pictures, time line, treatment, reactions, status update. That sort of thing?

Hey Ninja, I was telling a forum member about the clam constant light treatment test we did. He had some questions like how did the corals respond to the constant light and stuff. I know you are busy so whenever you have some time, would you do one post with before and after pictures, time line, treatment, reactions, status update. That sort of thing?

I will do my best, feel free to edit as you see fit since I was texting you like every 5 minutes.

I didn't really notice the gaping until sometime around 11/30. At first it was only the smaller of the 2 Derasas doing it , so I thought that maybe it was just irritated (i'm a clam noob). I checked the next day and it was still the same, but now the larger of the 2 was starting to open up just a bit, but didnt really look bad. Monday, 12/2 I came home after lights out, so I really didnt get a chance to check on them. Tuesday 12/3 I come home to this

Smaller of the 2

11196613926_92ee1ea89d.jpg
Larger of the 2
11196721713_d27d20bac9.jpg
Obviously the larger one is toast , but the smaller one still had a chance.
So after a long chat with Kat about possible options , I decided to leave the clam where it currently was and blast it with light. The current setup is only a single Nano Box Duo over a 48x20x21 tank because I sold my 2 Vegas WAY too soon (2 months) before my LED/T5 Hybrid was ready. the light is about 18" off of the water making it approx 38" away from the clam. What I did have was 2 cheap PAR38 bulbs (not full spec) with 30* optics , so I decided to give it a shot.
***Kats suggestion : Place the clam in a spare tank or bucket , blast it with 24/7 light , and provide enough live phyto to give the water a green hue.
I think I'm right on that ***
Not wanting to add anymore stress I didnt move the clam. I simply placed the PAR bulb on the side of the tank aimed directly at the clam instead.
PAR SETUP
11277230513_4192ffc6ef.jpg
There were a few coral that were in the line of fire so to speak of the constant light. There didnt seem to be any negative effects due to 24/7 light , but there were some minor bleaching issues due to the intensity of the light from the tight optics.
Once the light was setup , the plan was 24/7 light for no less than a week (again, I think thats coirrect) My duo was left on the normal 11a-9p schedule @ 100% on both channels. Feedings were increased to EVERY day , and all pumps were shut off during feedings for about an hour. I fed a mixture of things, most of which probably did nothing. LOL
Menu :
Reef nutrition Live Phyto (double recommended dose)
Reef Roids
Reef Cleaners FFF
TLF Phytoplan (only for 2 days when I was out of live phyto)
Fauna Marin Ultra Clam
Fauna Marin Min D , X
Cyclops
Rotifers
(not all of these foods were used at one time, they were rotated throughout the week. Live phyto & Ultra clam were fed daily)
On the 5th night I did shut off all lights for about 30 minutes to see what would happen. I did get an immediate response to the change in light , and she eventually closed up. After the 30 minute test there were no signs of gaping when she opened back up, and I left the light on .
Day 6 pic
11277103976_709d77fcee.jpg
The lighting and feeding continued for about 10 day total, and I am now getting reactions to shadows, and light changes. The gaping has been gone since the day 6 update , and the 24/7 light has been reduced to 12hr per day - 9a-9p. Feedings have continued, but on a lighter dose.
Here is how she looks today
11372075025_59d8febaa6.jpg
I dont feel that we are 100% out of the woods , but we are in much better shape than we were 2 weeks ago.

So the rest of my light should arrive tomorrow so I think it's time to share the details.

48" duo from Nano-Box (has extra cut outs for future expansion)

4×54w T5 with ATI dimmable ballasts (fishneedit housings)

All controlled by a single Storm controller

Thanks to Dave for putting this all together for me , I can't wait to get it over the tank.

... So 24/7 light fixes gaping if you catch it soon enough

It was only a test. I can't say if it will work for all clams. James Fartherree says that severe gaping with a retracted mantle is the worst sign. And gaping sometimes occurs in an otherwise healthy clam.

While JBBs clam didn't have a retracted mantle, his other died and he had been without a good light for a significant amount of time, not to mention 2 tank moves in 6 weeks or so.

The light did not harm anything and may have helped. At this point one swallow a summer does not make. It will have to be carried out on more clams to see if the method works.

Archived