inTank Media Baskets

B's Reef

jbb

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awe sad. Any idea what happened?

Not sure exactly, but my guess is when I moved I only kept about 25% of the total water volume. By doing so I may have stripped the system too clean therefore either shocking everything , or starving everything out. I'm not sure that is the case, but it's my best guess .

Looks as if Kat has possibly helped me save one of the clams. We arent out of the woods yet, but things are looking up for sure .

Thank You Kitty Kat :wub:

I think I might owe her now . :blink:

Come home today to find this

I can never tell if ninja takes photos in daylight or actinic night time. So I'll just assume that 4 days ago when he posted that picture of the gaping derasa, that lights were still on.

Gaping is a sign of starvation. Ninja has been without a decent light for 2 weeks or more. The tank went through 2 moves in the last 6 weeks and he just did a 75% water change. The combined stress killed the one clam and the Derasa was non responsive to light and gaping. He said he first noticed the gaping 8 days ago.

At my suggestion he put a PAR38 bulb directly over the clam and had the light running 24/7. His skimmer has been shut off. He is also feeding live Phyto.

After 4 days the clam is again responsive to light, and has not gaped. As a test, yesterday he shut off the light and checked on the clam for about an hour. The clam did not gape but closed up in the absense of light.

The light is still on 24/7 on the clam. Zeph and I had talked a lomg time ago about the light method for keeping night gaping clams alive. I cannot say if the experiment was a success as it is far too early to tell and with clams they can go south in a heart beat. But I have to say that the initial results are extremely good. Unbelievable really.

I can never tell if ninja takes photos in daylight or actinic night time. So I'll just assume that 4 days ago when he posted that picture of the gaping derasa, that lights were still on.

:rolleyes:

All photos since probably October 20 have been taken under a single NanoBox Duo with both channels @ 100%

Dave says my Hybrid is to ship out tomorrow , so hopefully my light issues will soon be over . fingerscrossed

I wil try to get some pics today of the clam , but the way she has positioned herself isnt really camera friendly.

And yes Kat , they will be with the lights ON .

Clam Update

Here is the lighting setup . The PAR bulb has been running 24/7 for 5 days now (with the exception of the 1 hour test that Kat mentioned) . The bulb has 30* optics so I didnt want to hang it directly over the clam and possibly fry it, so I went with the angled approach. The Duo box comes on from 11am-9pm daily

11277230513_4192ffc6ef.jpg

These are just a couple of pics taken a few minutes ago

11277220473_0793e48ed5.jpg

11277103976_709d77fcee.jpg

Please excuse the dead frags , those are from my red planet that went south on me .

Here are a few other pieces just hanging out for now, they will probably end up in the pico once I get around to putting it together .

11277124416_a324ffddc2.jpg

11277154244_d308bfc273.jpg
11277080945_46e4142642.jpg

Oh the joy of waking up in a panic at 3am to what sounds like water hitting the floor, only to fing a turbo snail crawling across the return output making water spray upwards and fall back into the tank.

:rant:

I need my sleep dammit !!!

Archived