Coral Vue Hydros

B's Reef

jbb

My bristleworms kinda look like that. I need to find some fish or something that feeds off bristleworms, god knows I've got enough to keep one.

Do your amphipods look like this?

super-giant-amphipods-found-kermadec-tre

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bristleworms kinda look like that. I need to find some fish or something that feeds off bristleworms, god knows I've got enough to keep one.

super-giant-amphipods-found-kermadec-tre

Pretty darn close , one ran across my hand and I actually jumped :lol:

:o

How do you have that many BW in a bare bottom tank?!

Those amphipods remind me of roaches the way they come out at night. I know the first time I witnessed one under a magnifying glass I was so startled, I wasn't expecting it. And it looked like the one pictured, I swear it looked that big. :o

How do you have that many BW in a bare bottom tank?!

They live in the very porous rocks I have. I don't know how many are in the tank, if I had to guess.... a hundred? I mean they are everywhere and many are quite large. I think the largest, fully extended would probably be 18"? I generally find 5 or so just on the outside of the filter sock when I pull it out of the sump.

They live in the very porous rocks I have. I don't know how many are in the tank, if I had to guess.... a hundred? I mean they are everywhere and many are quite large. I think the largest, fully extended would probably be 18"? I generally find 5 or so just on the outside of the filter sock when I pull it out of the sump.

Arrow crab.

Arrow crab.

Huh, I didn't know they'd eat bristles. That being said, they're totally NOT reef safe, so I probably won't be adding one. Although, a couple of my worms might well be able to take down an arrow if they tried....

There are some neat videos of arrows eating bristles on youtube....

suhphrise.

What makes arrows (or any crabs) not reef safe is their obvious hunting, scavenging and in general foodie habits. Keep a crab well fed and he might behave. Arrows get very large. Even a small arrow crab has a leg span far bigger than you would think. I've been thinking of an arrow for my fuge as a temporary solution. Maybe you and the Ninja can share one, I'm sure Serenity would want to borrow the crab as well. Then put him in the fuge.

Yeah, I've seen them in person quite a few times, never seen one for sale that was small enough to where I would feel comfortable with it in my tank.

And for the record, amphipods look like this:

alien.jpg

Oops , I'll get it right next time

Lubbock wrasse hit the sand at lights out yesterday, and has chosen to stay there today. I hate when this happens, I always start freaking out thinking they died .

SerenityReef
suhphrise.What makes arrows (or any crabs) not reef safe is their obvious hunting, scavenging and in general foodie habits. Keep a crab well fed and he might behave. Arrows get very large. Even a small arrow crab has a leg span far bigger than you would think. I've been thinking of an arrow for my fuge as a temporary solution. Maybe you and the Ninja can share one, I'm sure Serenity would want to borrow the crab as well. Then put him in the fuge.

Trying to give me crabs?!?...what I'd do to you :lol:

My YWG has finally noticed that there is a pistol shrimp in this tank. I have been watching all day as he will get close to the burrow, stare at it for a few minutes , and then run away. :lol: A few minutes later he is back peering into the hole only to get freaked out and run away once again. (this has been going on for about 9 hours.) Right now he is hiding behind a coral peeking at the entrance, I imagine him saying "ok, you can do this. How hard can it be... HOLY $#!t there is something in there !!"

I'm hoping that by morning we will have made a decision.

Lubbock Wrasse update :

He/She was hanging out in the overflow box . I drained the box down as far as possible while still leaving enough for the fish to breathe, and I reached in and got it. Now it is back in the display where it belongs.

:happydance:

Archived