Cultivated Reef

Best live rock money can buy?

Dolphins18

Is it me or has Fiji "premium" gotten worse? Every store I go to has brown crap. I owned some gorgeous Fiji rock in the past.

I would get reef cleaners and then seed it with some quality live rock (manado if you want). Its personal taste but I have found reef cleaners rock to be the best for aesthetically pleasing aquascape. I don't feel the dead coral skeletons look very good piled up but to each their own.

I think everyone skipped over the question. Personally, I think reefcleaners rock is fling amazing, but he asked for growth. Gulfliverock.com. Is bar none the cheapest rock, comes with multiple coraline algaes, multiple macros, and I had 4 different types of coral, probably 8 or 9 total. I also had some crabs and an urchin that didnt make it though.

Plus, bivalves, stomatellas, chitons, small species of snails(not dwarf ceriths, I never got an I'd). Plus others. I read of people even getting an octopus hitchhiker. If that isn't enough of an incentive, All of the corals I got are not available for sale, as it is illegal to purchase not on maricultured live rock. One word of advice. Clean the rock well. The sand inside of it has some not-so-good nutrients.

• Like 1

Any of the rock from PA is pretty awesome.

I stop by there every couple weeks and it is always covered in life. Their Fiji is flown in, not sitting on a boat like most Fiji rock now.

Premium has always had great rock. My first tank, an RSM 130 I picked up Marshall island rock years ago with so much life it was incredible. I had zoas appear on it, various macros, etc. IMO the manando I've seen there is pretty close in "specs" to what I had.

I just got some from gulfliverock.com and am very pleased with it. The guy dives for the rock himself and the prices are very reasonable. Found sponges, macro algae, corals, a sea squirt, all kinds of cool stuff.

• 7 years later...
On 6/4/2013 at 11:40 PM, rossv said:

I just got some from gulfliverock.com and am very pleased with it. The guy dives for the rock himself and the prices are very reasonable. Found sponges, macro algae, corals, a sea squirt, all kinds of cool stuff.

+1, support rock grown in the ocean that is designed for the home aquarium.