31068601806_c40959b593_b.jpg

Also some new guys:

30962068452_28346e142e_b.jpg

Cat's Eye Zoas

30962038612_5c17bf0471_b.jpg

Red Actino

31104365025_796df5c8f2_b.jpg

Purple Firefish

And latest FTS, I'm trying to acclimate to a whiter spectrum hoping to improve growth/color.

31068619116_e2000e8d56_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Something weird is happening to the nem. Part of me wishes it's just splitting, but I think it's time to get some water ready.

Hopefully, it's just releasing a bollus (waste material blob)...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
sam_the_reefer

Latest FTS. The tank is now in a weird confused state of being a macroalgae + softie tank sprinked with some sps.

31954835151_6285eb1467_b.jpg

Yes, that nem is inside a glass. :P
31697587550_8283a8ca38_b.jpg

Trying out micro zoa frags again.
31697595950_69b493d129_b.jpg

My fave side of the tank. I hope the H. Gibessii wil eventually thrive (please?).
32072868805_c6ca8f6cf6_b.jpg

• Like 4
sam_the_reefer

Interesting, 'Anemone in a glass'. Looks like a strategy to try and keep it from wandering/stinging/getting stung.

Haha, got the idea after seeing a pic of one in a clay pot. So far it likes the glass and spills over it when fully expanded.

Nano sapiens

Haha, got the idea after seeing a pic of one in a clay pot. So far it likes the glass and spills over it when fully expanded.

Great, hope it stays happy :)

• 3 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

The fluffy pink macro (h. gibessii) lost most of it's tufts except for the tips which get some partial direct flow. so, I directed the wavemaker to the whole body and now I see small tufts starting to grow on the parts in high flow directly in front of the wavemaker. The tuft growth pattern has changed too, so now I think this macro may be Asparagopsis and not H.Gibessii, but not sure.

The nem is still happy in it's glass home. I was hoping it would turn out to be a neon green nem, but I think it's turning out to be a greenish tan nem.

sam_the_reefer

Also, my experimental sps is turning pale, but the polyps stayed brown and I'm getting some growth. It was collected in a part of the reef I'd like to call the digi-graveyard and thought maybe it would do ok in my tank having survived there.

sam_the_reefer

Minor rescape, quartered my big Yuma, and cut the crown off my xenia to experiment if that gives me bushier polyps.

video test...

• Like 5
sam_the_reefer

Tank's chugging along, the macroalgae are starting to take off.

Right side:

Left Side:

Zoa garden:

Not brightly colored, but I like this coz it's different.

I sliced the crowns off my xenia to experiment if new polyps that form under the current light will pulse. Baby polyps are now growing, but still no pulsing. :(
  • Like 4
sam_the_reefer

Orange Yumas are looking good, too!

Yup! I actually quartered the big one at the back because it was getting too expanded and started covering the sps.

sam_the_reefer

Added a third fish again. A few months ago I gave the purple firefish to a fellow reefer because it got stung by the nem pretty bad. I'm adding a yellow tail damsel because I have fond memories of these fish and because I think it's smarter and will avoid the nem. (we'll see...) Plus, it just looks so cool.

Latest FTS:

This yuma really likes the prime. It can handle full intensity.

My cat's eye zoas are growing but have lost the pink and are turning dark. :( Changed the light settings to a bluer spectrum again to try and get the colors back, but it could be nutrients.

This zoa rock was overgrown with red turf algae, so I peroxide-painted the surfaces with algae and remounted some of the zoas.

Left zoa garden

Right zoa/ric garden

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

So far so good. Zoas are starting to spread and I have strong growth with the macroalgae.

My camera sensor goes nuts with this fish.

The big yuma at the back that I split into 4 pieces fused back. :/

Latest FTS

• 2 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Latest full tank shot:

These yumas are potent. Notice the DMZ they have going on around their edges?

Zoa garden is doing well.

Also, my first topdown shot of this tank in its current form.

• Like 3
SaltyBuddha

How do you like keeping macros and corals in the same tank? I'm currently planning on keeping a few macros in the display tank but don't see too many people do it. Any success tips?

• sam_the_reefer changed the title to My Bonsai Reef