Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Bonsai Reef

sam_the_reefer

sam_the_reefer

Just had to do a tank vanity shot. Can't focus on work knowing the tank looks this good today (work at home probs).

DSC02608_1.thumb.JPG.333c695eed635e47f3b307ffca962f57.JPG

• Like 5
sam_the_reefer

Got 2 new shrooms (these will be my last, I promise) and got my first micromussa frag. I didn't think much about them until a friend gave this tiny frag for me to try out. Now I can't stop looking at it. :/

sam_the_reefer

And these guys enjoying themselves.

DSC02640.thumb.JPG.a08f2ffe62d2dec06d4d8a4b0e18129e.JPG

It was supposed to be a serious photo shoot, but this this guy won't give me the tripod so that's all for now. :) 
DSC02625.thumb.JPG.c0e0aba22c8ff38e02a6dc5517a2d646.JPG

• Like 4
5 hours ago, xellos88 said:

And these guys enjoying themselves.

DSC02640.thumb.JPG.a08f2ffe62d2dec06d4d8a4b0e18129e.JPG

It was supposed to be a serious photo shoot, but this this guy won't give me the tripod so that's all for now. :) 
DSC02625.thumb.JPG.c0e0aba22c8ff38e02a6dc5517a2d646.JPG

Cute little frag you've got there!  Careful though, they aren't always reef safe! :lol:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

I've run out of reef fusion 1 & 2 and started using kalk to maintain my alk/cal. So far everything's still alive. :P I'm aware kalk doesn't have mag in it, and I have a mag solution from a fellow reefer (made from epsom salts?) but I don't have a test kit for mag. :/ Time to do some research on mag dosing.

Meanwhile:

Latest FTS

Top down

Some not-so-friendly interaction

Shrooms!

• Like 2

Corals look good! Yup randies recipe is the mag part is made from epson salts. If making your own mix interests you is super easy to make your alk and calcium solutions. Just google randies recipe. If you already know this than ignore haha

sam_the_reefer
10 minutes ago, gogeta said:

Corals look good! Yup randies recipe is the mag part is made from epson salts. If making your own mix interests you is super easy to make your alk and calcium solutions. Just google randies recipe. If you already know this than ignore haha

Yup, this mag solution is from randy's recipe. ;) My friend also gave me some 2 part solutions from randy's recipe because he said it's really easy to make. I'm using kalk because it's the lazier option :P and my consumption isn't that big anyway. I have these 2 part solutions just in case I need to adjust things.

• Like 1
On 7/29/2017 at 5:37 AM, xellos88 said:

Tank updates.

FTS
DSC02660.thumb.JPG.42c40695d0682fdb20d0dd1f960f9d9e.JPG

Closeup of my favorite Yuma showing the greens and pinks hiding under the bubbles.
DSC02641.thumb.JPG.fde9eaff22ebdb558766b3289f6bfd32.JPG

This is really gorgeous, I love this tank. 

You mentioned working at home, I'm curious, what do you do?

sam_the_reefer
11 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is really gorgeous, I love this tank. 

You mentioned working at home, I'm curious, what do you do?

I'm a software engineer / web developer. :)

sam_the_reefer

Trimmed the macroalgae. Also, we have darker curtains around the tank now and that makes for better tank shots.

It's almost a year since I got the nem, and I'm thinking whether it would be better to put it back in the ocean.

• Like 5
sam_the_reefer
12 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

that's a beautiful tank! 

9 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Looking good!

9 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

That little zoa tree creation is very cool! Very inspirational tank you have going!  B)

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

The tank has been on autopilot for the past few weeks. Here it is after some cleaning up. There's been some growth and the orange Yumas have been throwing off more babies. The zoas are looking bushier too, which I like. I notice the carpet nem is the one that avoids the encroaching yuma, which is odd since it's the stickier one so I thought it was the more potent.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • sam_the_reefer changed the title to My Bonsai Reef