Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Bonsai Reef

sam_the_reefer

sam_the_reefer
9 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Looks more like dino than diatom to me, because I had the same brown mat on my sand bed and snail went away from it

Possible.

sam_the_reefer

Lost the yellowtail damsel and male clown. The bigger clown(female) is still alive and I think is doing better (fingers crossed).

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

The bigger clown is still alive. It was almost dead a week ago, but seeing it clinging to life and breathing on its side for 2 days pushed me to sacrifice some work time to save it. Initially I tried api melafix, and after 3 days there was some improvement, from not swimming to crazy swimming around in circles on the surface. But the progress plateued and she still wasn't eating. Decided to look for any product that contained actual  antibacterial ingredients and chanced upon a cheapo product that contained metronidazole and mebendazole and i found some cheap methylene blue so figured why not add it. 3 days in the treatment and so far I think it's working because she's swimming with some control now and not staying on the surface. But I still need to get her to eat...hopefully she eats tomorrow. I change the water every 2 days. So it's a combination tank transfer method and chemical treatment.

From this:

P_20180618_175646.thumb.jpg.e4e8685f98bdef2382a51f4921da6716.jpg

To this:

P_20180626_091037.thumb.jpg.fd587626497268b8ab191e40a7625f42.jpg

I also did a major tank cleanup and accidentally broke a branch rock. But all is well...

P_20180626_091028.thumb.jpg.c1191cd3d7cd02d926ae520f8e7de567.jpg

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Some updates since my last post. The nem bleached out and shrank since my last picture. I've been reading up a lot about this particular nem and have come to the conclusion that mine seems to be in autophagy and is looking similar to my old carpet nem. I'm now slowly increasing my white channel to increase PAR, being careful not to bleach my zoas and shrooms. So far the nem is responding well; the color is back, but the size is still small which is a blessing of sorts because now I can just feed it enough to grow a little bit more and maintain a perfect size for this tank.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Latest FTS. The carpet nem continues to do worse. It actually does worse after feeding, it will plump up but soon deflate further. So, I'm holding off on feeding for now and will try a different kind of food.

P_20180930_105441-01.thumb.jpeg.e88ea1e4d345541818fba6821db49aed.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

I'm trying out artificial coral food for the nem (Hikari Coralific Delite). It has a very good feeding response to it, but I have to fight off the clownfish and porcelain crab for it to ingest the food gel. I'm used to fighting off the symbionts when feeding and making sure the nem is able to swallow some, but this time the nem can't hold the food because it's gel and doesn't really stick to the tentacles and it gets messy because it powderizes when the crab nips and the clownfish attacks, but I think it still manages to get some since it looks nicely puffed up after feeding.

• Like 3
sam_the_reefer
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Glad to hear the carpet anemone is responding to the new food! Everything else looks to be thriving in your nano reef!

Thanks! I'm hoping this food is the answer to the problem. I miss my old carpet nem ... less drama.

• 3 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

The tank is still chugging along, and the carpet nem seems to be slowly recovering with the new food. 🙂 It could be that frozen food fuels bad bacteria already in the nem? I'm thinking about running a small UV sterilizer after collecting NSW on a hot, sunny, UV-filled day. Maybe that will also prevent my mysterious bacterial outbreaks.

sam_the_reefer
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sorry about the nem troubles. Did you end up losing the final sick clown?

Yes. 😞 Though it seemed fine after treatment, it didn't do well after a few days when I put it back in the display so I put it back in the ocean. It was still alive, but acted like it was blind and I couldn't put it down.

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
sam_the_reefer

I just finished building a new stand for this tank. It's a bit oversized to store all the extra 5Gal water containers and stuff I use for the tank. Yesterday, I was forced to use the new stand because my kid dumped all the fish food for my freshwater fish into this tank. 😱 Luckily the food is a floating pellet kind and I caught it early. I fished out most of the food, cleaned up the HOB filter, and did an 80% water change in the process of moving my tank to the new stand.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, xellos88 said:

I just finished building a new stand for this tank. It's a bit oversized to store all the extra 5Gal water containers and stuff I use for the tank. Yesterday, I was forced to use the new stand because my kid dumped all the fish food for my freshwater fish into this tank. 😱 Luckily the food is a floating pellet kind and I caught it early. I fished out most of the food, cleaned up the HOB filter, and did an 80% water change in the process of moving my tank to the new stand.

Wow! Thankfully you were there to catch it!!! 

• Haha 1
sam_the_reefer
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Wow! Thankfully you were there to catch it!!! 

Yeah! I was looking at it and thinking: "Hmmm, the tank's extra bubbly today........wait...😱"

• Haha 1
sam_the_reefer

Some tanks shots before I go on a week long holiday break. Everything is doing well despite the little accident and hopefully everyone will still be alive and growing when we come back.

DSC03406_01.thumb.jpg.dea3617a8740063a40d94e30e94e1cb3.jpg

On the new stand, I might build an enclosure to hide the water dispenser ATO. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • sam_the_reefer changed the title to My Bonsai Reef