ReefCleaners.org

My Bonsai Reef

sam_the_reefer

burtbollinger
36 minutes ago, xellos88 said:

This guy looks happy. I'll be pushing my luck and will be trading her in for a blue one though.

P_20180313_135523.thumb.jpg.e93412e049e17a3311897338bb1f228c.jpg

sorry, late to the party here, beautiful tank....

so...you have the nem living in a glass?  if so, thats brilliant.  is that something common that people do?  how does he like it in there?

sam_the_reefer
4 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

sorry, late to the party here, beautiful tank....

so...you have the nem living in a glass?  if so, thats brilliant.  is that something common that people do?  how does he like it in there?

Thanks!

I think he likes the glass. It's not a common thing though. I had a friend try keeping a nem in a bowl and it moved, so I could just be lucky that he likes it there.

• 2 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Going away for a week on very short notice, so some decent(nope, out of focus) DSLR shots just in case it crashes when I'm away. :P

DSC03275.thumb.JPG.706e24feaf85c597594db486ad553c78.JPG

DSC03252.thumb.JPG.696ccc053f7bed32e3e1765bec8633ea.JPG

DSC03266.thumb.JPG.5a3b9a57085e8419ac6493fe84955bf6.JPG

DSC03259.thumb.JPG.fd2d3a3fd49c78d9f8044c9e422f73c5.JPG

DSC03262.thumb.JPG.65ea9639db72542811468a974db38eb7.JPG

DSC03265.thumb.JPG.d77b9a7fd864b1f4b0c64e3114a51006.JPG

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

So, this happened:

The original plan was a blue nem. But the blue nems in the shipment yesterday were either too big or too far gone. This guy was the only perfect-sized one. Hope I can keep the color.

• Like 3
sam_the_reefer

The new nem is huge when fully expanded! The good news is its settled in the glass and hasn't wandered. There was also a bleached patch that has shown some sign of recovery so it's a good sign. I opened up the scape a bit so it has some room to stretch and tilted the glass to the front.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Ah.. I remember this tank! That toadstool you used to have :)

Loving the new scape! Is that small pieces of tonga you epoxied together?

It looks like that nem is going to grow fast!

sam_the_reefer
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Ah.. I remember this tank! That toadstool you used to have :)

Loving the new scape! Is that small pieces of tonga you epoxied together?

It looks like that nem is going to grow fast!

Yeah, I miss my toadstools. :( This nem is too big as it is... For now the plan is to keep it alive while looking for someone who can give it a good home. A green japanese toadstool would be the perfect alternative to this nem, looks bright green and grows slowly.

What's tonga? :)

On 5/10/2018 at 3:24 AM, xellos88 said:

Yeah, I miss my toadstools. :( This nem is too big as it is... For now the plan is to keep it alive while looking for someone who can give it a good home. A green japanese toadstool would be the perfect alternative to this nem, looks bright green and grows slowly.

What's tonga? :)

Dry/Live rock, comes in the shape of branches.

A neon green toadie would look fabulous there.

Image result for tonga rock

sam_the_reefer

Good news! I found a future home for my awesome carpet nem! :) A friend is currently cycling a 400+ gallon tank. I'm talking about old-school cycling, like its been going through all the algae phases for almost a year now. It will be the perfect future home for this guy. I will take more pictures of this beautiful nem while he's still in my tank though.

DSC03342.thumb.jpg.dcd87c2370a3c99dea14ab3dffd0279d.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Currently having a diatom bloom. Also, the yellow tail damsel is acting weird lately, always hiding in his cave. Otherwise, things are just chugging along.

• sam_the_reefer changed the title to My 12gal Bonsai Reef
sam_the_reefer

Hmmm, yellowtail damsel looks a bit pale and didn't come out during feeding a while ago...very unusual. Either there was a bug in the water I used for the water change yesterday, or he got stung by the nem.

sam_the_reefer

Update: now all my fish are acting weird, lethargic and not eating. Looks like some kind of internal parasite because corals and inverts are not affected. All parameters I can test are ok. I just hope this isn't Uronema.

• Sad 2
Christopher Marks

Sorry to hear @xellos88 😕 

How long has that automatic feeder been on the system? I am inherently distrustful of them after hearing too many bad stories of them not working out as planned and overfeeding.

Salinity and temperature are in check? Are you sure your refractometer is calibrated? Perhaps you can cross check your water at a local store or with another hobbyist?

sam_the_reefer
15 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sorry to hear @xellos88 😕 

How long has that automatic feeder been on the system? I am inherently distrustful of them after hearing too many bad stories of them not working out as planned and overfeeding.

Salinity and temperature are in check? Are you sure your refractometer is calibrated? Perhaps you can cross check your water at a local store or with another hobbyist?

Salinity and temp are in check, but you're right that it's a good idea to cross check with another hobbyist. The auto feeder has been up for a few months, it's working because I do the manual press to dispense during lunchtime (set it to small feedings spread out). I've also changed and added some carbon in case it's something chemical, but the shrimp and inverts are fine, so I don't think it's that.

I recommend the ice cap brand digital refractometer! It’s super easy to use and not expensive. Good luck with the fishes 😕

sam_the_reefer
5 hours ago, benjho said:

I recommend the ice cap brand digital refractometer! It’s super easy to use and not expensive. Good luck with the fishes 😕

Hard to get those here. 😞

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Tank and nem look wonderful, I hope the fishies will be ok.

Thanks! I hope they'll pull through. I'm adding stress guard, which is a slime coat product that I got for free from a Seachem seminar. I think it's working a little bit, they're still not eating, but they're not getting worse, no heavy breathing or rotting parts. 

• Like 1
  • sam_the_reefer changed the title to My Bonsai Reef