Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Bonsai Reef

sam_the_reefer

• 3 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer
On 7/22/2019 at 3:58 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Gorgeous as always @xellos88! Great to see you, I hope your summer is goo g well!

Thanks! Summer was extra hot, but otherwise ok.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Looking good! 

The Dottyback idea, umm, I tried that in my 12g (Strawberry or Bicolor...too far back and can't remember), but it was just a little terror harassing anything that moved...

• Like 3

Oh, wow, you weren't kiddin' about that bonsai thing! 

Dottybacks are generally not the best option for small tanks with other fish. They're territorial little creatures. Now and then you can find a less aggressive individual, but mostly they want to keep their own space. 

What about a yellow clown goby instead? They're active, lots of hopping and cute motions, and generally not aggressive. Or a Hector's goby if you can find one, they hover around. Or, if you want something a little unusual in the reef world, how about a molly? Midwater, active fish, with a bonus of them happily eating up any and all hair algae that shows up.

sam_the_reefer
2 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Looking good! 

The Dottyback idea, umm, I tried that in my 12g (Strawberry or Bicolor...too far back and can't remember), but it was just a little terror harassing anything that moved...

My other options are a sixline or pink streaked wrasse. I actually want the dottyback because I read it eats small crabs, and the last sixline wrasse I got was murdered by a crab in this tank. The crab has since been caught and removed, but I think it's unavoidable to have crabs in this tank because I use unfiltered NSW. (somehow I always end up having one somewhere)

I hope he'll be a smart dottyback and not dive into the carpet nem to harass the clowns. 

My last other-fish was a yellowtail damsel and he was also not-so-friendly but he was smart and avoided the nem. He liked to dig though, so that caused issues.

37 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh, wow, you weren't kiddin' about that bonsai thing! 

Dottybacks are generally not the best option for small tanks with other fish. They're territorial little creatures. Now and then you can find a less aggressive individual, but mostly they want to keep their own space. 

What about a yellow clown goby instead? They're active, lots of hopping and cute motions, and generally not aggressive. Or a Hector's goby if you can find one, they hover around. Or, if you want something a little unusual in the reef world, how about a molly? Midwater, active fish, with a bonus of them happily eating up any and all hair algae that shows up.

Unfortunately, I can't have any type of goby in this tank because of the carpet anemone. Mollies are a unique idea though, I might try that. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I really love your aquascape and how this tank has grown in.   I have to ask.. what rock are you using to get that bonsai effect with your zoas?   It’s so freaking unique looking! How is it mounted?  Magnets to glass?  Enlighten me!

sam_the_reefer
2 hours ago, Opotter said:

I really love your aquascape and how this tank has grown in.   I have to ask.. what rock are you using to get that bonsai effect with your zoas?   It’s so freaking unique looking! How is it mounted?  Magnets to glass?  Enlighten me!

The rocks are coral rubble glued together with hot glue and reinforced with epoxy clay. It's mounted on the back wall using magnets. For the in-tank magnets, I used the magnets that came along with my wavemaker since they're safely sealed. They are attached to the rubble the same way, using hot glue and reinforced with aqua clay. The outside magnets are neodymium magnets, which are quite strong and can hold shear force. It's really important to use strong magnets so the structure doesn't rotate because most of the weight is at the top.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, xellos88 said:

Latest Full Tank Shot. I'm considering adding a Dottyback to liven things up a little.

DSC03658_01.thumb.jpg.babb791df7e7cc88d5b1f3f5b19e4c83.jpg

Looks great as usual. 😊

my Dottyback is a model citizen and such a bright pop of color in the tank. 

• Like 1

Orchid dottybacks seem to be more peaceful than other varieties. I had one in a ten gallon with other fish and they did fine together.  The dottyback was added last. So beautiful. 

Everything looks so lush and happy, nice job! 

• Like 3
sam_the_reefer
On 9/8/2019 at 10:11 PM, WV Reefer said:

Looks great as usual. 😊

my Dottyback is a model citizen and such a bright pop of color in the tank. 

Cool! I didn't know you had one! (I follow your 12g long tank)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, xellos88 said:

Cool! I didn't know you had one! (I follow your 12g long tank)

I have it in my 75 gallon tank and it certainly isn’t afraid of much but has never been aggressive with the smaller fish or critters.

I’ve seen several people on here have them in nanos....... I just can’t remember who right now. 😄

• Like 2
  • sam_the_reefer changed the title to My Bonsai Reef