Cultivated Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Very nice, Ben! My 90g planted tank recently developed blackbeard algae. I've been fighting the good fight but I think I'm going to have to get rid of all the plants and nuke the gravel to get rid of it.

Flourish Excel is your friend, or if you can find just normal gluteraldehyde, it would probably work better, because a 90g volume definitely needs a lot of it lol. That stuff flat out kills BBA.

Beautiful! All white, I've never seen one like that!

I did, a good while ago - and it sold for $1,000. :o

But a couple of weeks ago, yoshii posted up a photo of her white one that she got from one of the wholesalers to the store she works at and said they had more of them. She ended up getting me one and shipping it to me because she is awesome :)

Damns that's nice.

Thanks! Even my wife, who hates fish and all things fish related, said it's pretty. :lol:

OOO! I like Gandalf too! Gorgeous Betta.

Kat thinks it should be Gandalf. My grandma says it should be Sue. I'm torn between that and 'midnight', because I'm like that. :lol:

jedimasterben

18271-good-news-everyone-i-was-just-kidd

My marine betta totally started eating pellets last night! Huzzah! Something I thought would never happen. Now I don't have to worry about feeding mysis during the fishies' QT. :)

I also pulled all the (class two prohibited, aka very, very illegal lol) Hygrophila from the planted tank.

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

Moar baby goopies! The betta is snacking down on them, though!

IMG_2537.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

Really like the planted tank- I know nothing about them though- so are water changes important? How about dosing- do you have to keep specific elements in check?

Flourish Excel is your friend, or if you can find just normal gluteraldehyde, it would probably work better, because a 90g volume definitely needs a lot of it lol. That stuff flat out kills BBA.

Thanks for the advice! I used to use the stuff but since everything seemed to be growing well I stopped. I didn't realize that it killed bad algae, I thought it was just a carbon source to generally improve growth of all things plant.

Research done, algicide properties confirmed, one gallon container ordered from Amazon, arrives on Thursday. Hopefully algae starts dying on Friday fingerscrossed

jedimasterben

Really like the planted tank- I know nothing about them though- so are water changes important? How about dosing- do you have to keep specific elements in check?

I haven't done a water change in many months in this tank. When I do, I just stir up the sand, drain 100% of the water, and refill with tap water. I topoff with DI water, but that's mostly because I forget to change my RO/DI to just RO, that way I am not adding hard water all the time as topoff.

I dose the tank every 1-8 weeks (lol) with gluteraldehyde (like teenyreef mentions above, it is both a carbon source and algaecide) and about 5-10mL of Tropica Plant Nutrition+, which is an all in one liquid fertilizer that I DIY for super cheap, and its super easy.

A lot of people will inject CO2 and use dry ferts in very specific ratios daily, but realistically I don't care about growth at all in this tank, because the plants I have will grow no matter what lol. I only does the glut to kill any algae that happens (algae comes when there is an imbalance of fertilizers, CO2, and light), but luckily I really don't see any, which is a big step up from how this tank used to be about a year and a half ago, which was an algae farm.

Very beautiful planted tank Ben. I always wanted to try one but thought you had to use CO2. I love FW angels and discus with a small school of neon tetras...that was my vision anyhow. I never did it.

Sk8n Reefer

I haven't done a water change in many months in this tank. When I do, I just stir up the sand, drain 100% of the water, and refill with tap water. I topoff with DI water, but that's mostly because I forget to change my RO/DI to just RO, that way I am not adding hard water all the time as topoff.

I dose the tank every 1-8 weeks (lol) with gluteraldehyde (like teenyreef mentions above, it is both a carbon source and algaecide) and about 5-10mL of Tropica Plant Nutrition+, which is an all in one liquid fertilizer that I DIY for super cheap, and its super easy.

A lot of people will inject CO2 and use dry ferts in very specific ratios daily, but realistically I don't care about growth at all in this tank, because the plants I have will grow no matter what lol. I only does the glut to kill any algae that happens (algae comes when there is an imbalance of fertilizers, CO2, and light), but luckily I really don't see any, which is a big step up from how this tank used to be about a year and a half ago, which was an algae farm.

Wow- 100% w/c- now that's different for sure sounds interesting- I like the look with all the plants and I've seen planted tanks with a heavy fish loads and like that look too- maybe one day I'll give it a shot. I started with Oscars in a 29gal. as a kid. Great looking tank you have!

jedimasterben

Thanks for the advice! I used to use the stuff but since everything seemed to be growing well I stopped. I didn't realize that it killed bad algae, I thought it was just a carbon source to generally improve growth of all things plant.

Research done, algicide properties confirmed, one gallon container ordered from Amazon, arrives on Thursday. Hopefully algae starts dying on Friday fingerscrossed

And I actually found the same Metricide 14 on eBay for $21 a gallon. WAYYYY cheaper than $132 for 2 gallons of Excel! I'm almost out, too, so i'm gonna have to order some more :)

The planted tank is beautiful and so is that Betta! :wub:

Thanks! It's really a beauty! And it is a guppy eating machine!

Very beautiful planted tank Ben. I always wanted to try one but thought you had to use CO2. I love FW angels and discus with a small school of neon tetras...that was my vision anyhow. I never did it.

Nah, you only need CO2 if you have high light and adding ferts. Once the angels and discus get some size, the neon tetras become little dollar snacks for them :o

Wow- 100% w/c- now that's different for sure sounds interesting- I like the look with all the plants and I've seen planted tanks with a heavy fish loads and like that look too- maybe one day I'll give it a shot. I started with Oscars in a 29gal. as a kid. Great looking tank you have!

A 100% change every year or so isn't really that bad - just think, discus breeders do 50% water changes at least once daily! This tank is by far the easiest I've had yet, I haven't had to do anything in months except feed daily (which is always Golden Pearls, nothing else) and then dose the fert and Excel when I remember :)

jedimasterben

Beautiful Ben!

How goes it buddy,the wife and kid to be happy and healthy?

Thanks for asking! All so far so good. Kid is a kung-fu mastahhhh!! :D

As expected :D

That is also awesome the marine beta is taking pellet!

Now how about the Ritteri <3

jedimasterben

The big nem has been a little pissy, it moved like 6", sat on a gorgonian and my nice grandis palys from kat, then a couple days later it moved back to the same spot it was in before. :wacko:

jedimasterben

Love that video! And that betta - gorgeous! this makes me want to do a FW planted tank.

Do ittttt. Small ones can be as cheap or expensive as you make them, kinda like reefs :)

And I actually found the same Metricide 14 on eBay for $21 a gallon. WAYYYY cheaper than $132 for 2 gallons of Excel! I'm almost out, too, so i'm gonna have to order some more :)

Ouch - yeah, that would be way cheaper than the gallon of Excel I just bought :mellow:

But if it gets rid of the blackbeard it will have been worth it. And I can switch to Metricide for maintenance.

jedimasterben

Glad all is well buddy,you find a good spot for that pukani I sent ?

It's still sitting in the box lol. I've been spending a lot of time with my family so I haven't been home to be able to get much done. But soon....

soon2.jpg

Ouch - yeah, that would be way cheaper than the gallon of Excel I just bought :mellow:

But if it gets rid of the blackbeard it will have been worth it. And I can switch to Metricide for maintenance.

OUCH!! If you can wait another couple of days, I'd just send the Excel back to Amazon and order the Metricide 14. Metricide is twice the concentration of Excel AND half the price.

Do ittttt. Small ones can be as cheap or expensive as you make them, kinda like reefs :)

..... thinking.... I was thinking of doing a macro algae only tank but it seems like freshwater planted would be fun. What kind of lights do you need for freshwater planted? Or I guess macro algae as well!

18271-good-news-everyone-i-was-just-kidd

My marine betta totally started eating pellets last night! Huzzah! Something I thought would never happen. Now I don't have to worry about feeding mysis during the fishies' QT. :)

I also pulled all the (class two prohibited, aka very, very illegal lol) Hygrophila from the planted tank.

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

Moar baby goopies! The betta is snacking down on them, though!

IMG_2537.jpg

This looks like an underwater version (but better ) of my crested gecko habitat

Archived