Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

So breaking out the trusty Coral Compulsion 40w PAR38, with the stock 60 degree optics it was wayyy too narrow. I even put it around 18" above the tank and it still didn't have great spread. So I turned it off and let it cool, then took it apart to clean the fan and emailed CC about buying a set of their 80 degree optics. I then figured in the mean time, hell, why not just take them off and see what it looks like. So I did that, and lo and behold, the LEDs they used are 3535 package, which is the same size and solder pattern as Cree uses. I could order sixteen LEDs and in a few minutes have a completely different PAR38 than when I started. That's about $65 in LEDs, though, for a light that is simply a backup, but it would be pretty cool to do it as a 'proof of concept' kinda thing. :)

I left the optics off when I put it back up (this time at ~13" off the top of the tank) and measured PAR at ~215 uncorrected (estimated 240 corrected), which where my big nem is I am getting around 125ish. Spread is really great, too, LEDs just don't need optics!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben you just always have to be tinkering with stuff haha. I totally dig it though. Nice to have as a back up light.

I used the lights for my gecko cage one time for the coral for a few days between fixtures

Also,I saw you were looking for leather corals any specific kind? I have a rock with a bunch on it I can cut for you all you would need to do is pay shipping.

jedimasterben

Ben you just always have to be tinkering with stuff haha. I totally dig it though. Nice to have as a back up light.

I used the lights for my gecko cage one time for the coral for a few days between fixtures

Lol, I can't help it! I'm a tinkerer! :)

Also,I saw you were looking for leather corals any specific kind? I have a rock with a bunch on it I can cut for you all you would need to do is pay shipping.

Oh! That would be awesome, I'd love that!

Also dude I can't wait to see my tank under that V3 array. Gonna look so amazing plus cloud cover and lightning! Gonna be like a Metallica album over the tank.

I have a sinularia colony if you'd like it. Doesn't really fit in my tank! It's a good grower. I fragged off a branch for myself but was going to give the rest to the LFS - so if you'd like it, it's all yours.

jedimasterben

I'll take some pictures to make sure it's what you want and I'll prob send it out mid week if you like is that ok?

That's perfect to me! Thank you!!!

Also dude I can't wait to see my tank under that V3 array. Gonna look so amazing plus cloud cover and lightning! Gonna be like a Metallica album over the tank.

LOL, it's gonna be damned fine. Chuck Norris approves.

chuck%252520norris%252520approves.gif

I have a sinularia colony if you'd like it. Doesn't really fit in my tank! It's a good grower. I fragged off a branch for myself but was going to give the rest to the LFS - so if you'd like it, it's all yours.

Oh wow, yes, I'd love it! :D

That's perfect to me! Thank you!!!

LOL, it's gonna be damned fine. Chuck Norris approves.

chuck%2520norris%2520approves.gif

Oh wow, yes, I'd love it! :D

You got it buddy. Always glad to help out however I can. I got some dragons eyes zoas I can throw in too if I can find a frag plug to stick it on if you want a few heads that is.

jedimasterben

You got it buddy. Always glad to help out however I can. I got some dragons eyes zoas I can throw in too if I can find a frag plug to stick it on if you want a few heads that is.

LOL, this is getting better and better :lol:

LOL, this is getting better and better :lol:

No frag plugs but I have an ass ton of dry rock sitting in a cotainer I can mount to a hunk of that. Really I can frag anything in my tank other than my lps but if you look through my thread and see anything lemme know I'll ship it out next week for ya.

Good deal buddy. I think I'm actually pulling that rock out this week to put something that fits better so I'll cut em off then.

jedimasterben

Just got done reflowing the LEDgroupbuy violet LEDs onto the Nanobox boards. I'm going to wire them all up to a driver just to make sure that all of the LEDs work properly before gluing them in place! omgomgomg

SouthFlorida_Tron

Benny!

Whattup bro... Can you educate me on dry rock? Im looking at Reef Cleaners clean dry rock to swap with some of my rock in both tanks...

Just got done reflowing the LEDgroupbuy violet LEDs onto the Nanobox boards. I'm going to wire them all up to a driver just to make sure that all of the LEDs work properly before gluing them in place! omgomgomg

Photos better be following. Or a JMB video production. Or something.

jedimasterben

Benny!

Whattup bro... Can you educate me on dry rock? Im looking at Reef Cleaners clean dry rock to swap with some of my rock in both tanks...

Hey man, long time no see! (well, post, lol) Reefcleaners has the cleanest rock available as far as phosphate leaching, and you can request rock sizes and such from John :)

Photos better be following. Or a JMB video production. Or something.

What's better than photos or a video? FREAKIN BOTH

My super duper high-tech reflow station.

IMG_2337.jpg

A new board on the left, an improved board on the right.

IMG_2342.jpg

Anyone want some violets? You can have them cheap :)

IMG_2346.jpg

And a video of the reflow back on, didn't think to do one of the reflow off, by that time all of them were already off.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ill give them a shout for sure on Monday... If i soak in a bucket of rodi and rinse well, will i be good to go to add to one of my tanks and later remove the old rock?

jedimasterben

Ill give them a shout for sure on Monday... If i soak in a bucket of rodi and rinse well, will i be good to go to add to one of my tanks and later remove the old rock?

You don't need to soak it or anything, and I've never even had to rinse any before unless UPS really mistreated it and it was a little dusty lol. If anything, just run it under a faucet for a few seconds to rinse it then plop it in :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Cool... for the 4g, it will be to replace 4 smaller rocks covered with feather dusters, how long do you think before I can remove the old rock?

Hey man, long time no see! (well, post, lol) Reefcleaners has the cleanest rock available as far as phosphate leaching, and you can request rock sizes and such from John :)

What's better than photos or a video? FREAKIN BOTH

My super duper high-tech reflow station.

IMG_2337.jpg

A new board on the left, an improved board on the right.

IMG_2342.jpg

Anyone want some violets? You can have them cheap :)

IMG_2346.jpg

And a video of the reflow back on, didn't think to do one of the reflow off, by that time all of them were already off.

No cats???? CATS!!! CATS need to be in the video ;)

jedimasterben

No cats???? CATS!!! CATS need to be in the video ;)

Well, while Edgar was making sure my feet didn't get too cold, I don't think he would have appreciated me putting him on the hot burner. :D

Well, while Edgar was making sure my feet didn't get too cold, I don't think he would have appreciated me putting him on the hot burner. :D

oooookkkkaaay. It's allowed this time.

Archived