Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

One thing at a time, man. Get all this taken care of first. They'll have those fish again later. You'll regret it if you buy them now. Especially with everything going on right now. Take'er easy, take'er easy.

Well, I wouldn't put them in the display or in the same 10g QT setup as the others lol. The biggest problem with the fallow period is going to be getting bored. I get bored, I tinker, I get bored again, I tinker again. I would rather have a bit more work now (by having two QT setups) while I have the spare time than still have the same five fish in the system for the next six months to a year lol.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I wouldn't put them in the display or in the same 10g QT setup as the others lol. The biggest problem with the fallow period is going to be getting bored. I get bored, I tinker, I get bored again, I tinker again. I would rather have a bit more work now (by having two QT setups) while I have the spare time than still have the same five fish in the system for the next six months to a year lol.

Don't get ahead of yourself ;) you have a little one on the way. It's ok to be bored for a while - get excited for Fallout4 instead!

jedimasterben

The problem with fallow IME is keeping the nutrients up, no fish = no poop.

Fish have nothing to do with nutrients, though.

jedimasterben

Ammonium (fish waste) is the major source of nutrient for the autotrophs (it's not the only one but because it is the limiting reaction it can be considered the major one) in our tanks, which create nutrients for everything higher on the chain. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/11/aafeature

Ammonium comes about regardless of whether or not there are any fish or invertebrates to eat the food put in. It may accelerate the process, but it's not anything truly necessary IMHO. If you didn't feed the fish, there would not be any waste, so nutrient import is required, not having fish just skips the middlemanfish.

Ammonium comes about regardless of whether or not there are any fish or invertebrates to eat the food put in. It may accelerate the process, but it's not anything truly necessary IMHO. If you didn't feed the fish, there would not be any waste, so nutrient import is required, not having fish just skips the middlemanfish.

Sure, you don't need them, but the presence of fish in mixed reef tanks has benefits, as it does on the reefs. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/fish-poop-is-great-coral-food

Another paper I don't have access to lol. I don't trust the Advanced Aquarist quips at all when they 'cite' others' work.

I'll send it to you. This time they actually stick pretty close to what the paper says. The headline is a bit misleading, but the discussion of communities of fish being important to the ecosystem of reefs as a whole and they drive a lot of the the biogeochemical processes on the reef. AA dumbs it down quite a bit, but in general the data is good.

You could always make more reef videos if you're bored. I LOVE YOUR REEF VIDEOS!

jedimasterben

You could always make more reef videos if you're bored. I LOVE YOUR REEF VIDEOS!

Well tahnk you :)

I don't know what I'd make more videos about, really lol

Well tahnk you :)

I don't know what I'd make more videos about, really lol

hmm.. I have to think on this a bit. Although I'm sure even cleaning your tank would be an entertaining video!

jedimasterben

hmm.. I have to think on this a bit. Although I'm sure even cleaning your tank would be an entertaining video!

Eh, I don't think it would be lol. It's mostly just aggravating, especially getting the back glass clean on the outside! I hate that water drips back there!

Eh, I don't think it would be lol. It's mostly just aggravating, especially getting the back glass clean on the outside! I hate that water drips back there!

Salt creep annoys the crap out of me. I noticed on our little fluval 6 gal edge, some water dripped in the back of the tank, but between the tank and the exterior black portion. I can't get to it. It isn't that noticeable, but I KNOW it is there and it bugs the crap out of me. I feel your pain.

jedimasterben

Salt creep annoys the crap out of me. I noticed on our little fluval 6 gal edge, some water dripped in the back of the tank, but between the tank and the exterior black portion. I can't get to it. It isn't that noticeable, but I KNOW it is there and it bugs the crap out of me. I feel your pain.

I can actually see the water drip down when the gyres switch over. I wanna take a hammer and smash everything with each drop :D

I can actually see the water drip down when the gyres switch over. I wanna take a hammer and smash everything with each drop :D

WOW! Between that and the Hanna checker, I'm surprised things aren't in bits and pieces over there!!! :P

Fish have nothing to do with nutrients, though.

Speaking from experience, yes it does. But I guess you know everything...

jedimasterben

Speaking from experience, yes it does. But I guess you know everything...

What I'm saying is that you can have a hundred fish or you can have one fish and still have the same nutrient import into the tank if you feed them the same amount of food (think like 100 chromis vs a big grouper or something). It's all about how much you feed the tank, fish are really inefficient at absorption (especially herbivores).

Fish have inefficient absorption - they store a LOT of N and P in their feces - which makes its way into the water column for others to eat ;)

What I'm saying is that you can have a hundred fish or you can have one fish and still have the same nutrient import into the tank if you feed them the same amount of food (think like 100 chromis vs a big grouper or something). It's all about how much you feed the tank, fish are really inefficient at absorption (especially herbivores).

I just dealt with a fallow tank, but like I said you have more post so you know everything.

I just dealt with a fallow tank, but like I said you have more post so you know everything.

Are you really doing this right now? Is that a passive aggressive way of saying your anecdotal evidence needs to be taken as fact? Just chill.

jedimasterben

I have too. You still need to feed the tank like normal to keep nutrients where they were pre-fish removal, or cut back on filtration to keep some in the water for longer (like running simmer only part time, etc).

Archived