Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the potters angel went from fine this morning to looking like a turd about two hours ago and i just watched it stop breathing a few minutes ago. Yay.

Definitively brooklynella hostilis. :/

I'm so sorry :( Way to poop on your brooky parade.

jedimasterben

Fishies are moved over. Had to net the clown in the nem, I figured I'd save my finger tips, I prick them enough times as it is daily!

Looks like you've done this before heh. I read up on rabbit fish stings, yeh I agree on netting over the catch em like a bluegill and slick back the spines method lol.

So sorry to hear about the brooklynella, Ben. That stuff is awful. I had it way back when I first started in the hobby. Came in on a YCG and then wiped out both my clowns overnight. Luckily I managed to save the firefish and YWG I had at the time by doing QT with meds and leaving the display fallow for 8 weeks. Just such a PITA. Hang in there!

The video was fun though! You are the fish whisperer apparently. Last time I tried to catch my fish, I spent hours and ended up giving up on two of the 4 I was trying to catch :lol: Can't believe you can get them by hand like that. I do agree that nets are super stressful, so good work! Also, your cat was cracking me up the entire video. Looks like my cat when I'm working on the tank. Have to be all involved and begging for attention.

Bad news! Sorry about the brooklynella. I wonder if that's why you kept losing fish after that last big batch?

On the bright side, the video was extremely entertaining and very instructive :)

We should start a pool to see whether the fish or the baby comes out first :D

Sorry to hear man. I got it from some Ora skunk clowns that came in same day I picked up. Took out all my fish in my 150 except a few. My original clowns made it though treatment. The male was so damn ugly.

9D29B9AC-B1DE-44B6-A40E-20AF4B005793_zps

jedimasterben

Looks like you've done this before heh. I read up on rabbit fish stings, yeh I agree on netting over the catch em like a bluegill and slick back the spines method lol.

Yeah, it nicked me on the finger once. Couldn't feel it for a week after it being extremely painful for a couple of days.

So sorry to hear about the brooklynella, Ben. That stuff is awful. I had it way back when I first started in the hobby. Came in on a YCG and then wiped out both my clowns overnight. Luckily I managed to save the firefish and YWG I had at the time by doing QT with meds and leaving the display fallow for 8 weeks. Just such a PITA. Hang in there!

The video was fun though! You are the fish whisperer apparently. Last time I tried to catch my fish, I spent hours and ended up giving up on two of the 4 I was trying to catch :lol: Can't believe you can get them by hand like that. I do agree that nets are super stressful, so good work! Also, your cat was cracking me up the entire video. Looks like my cat when I'm working on the tank. Have to be all involved and begging for attention.

Yeah, and only took me one try to grab the betta, it was almost like HOLD ME! Maybe it thought I was paying too much attention to Edgar (the cat) :lol:

Bad news! Sorry about the brooklynella. I wonder if that's why you kept losing fish after that last big batch?

On the bright side, the video was extremely entertaining and very instructive :)

We should start a pool to see whether the fish or the baby comes out first :D

:lol:

Hopefully the fish come out - 8 weeks is 56 days, 12 weeks is 84, not sure how long I'm gonna go. We have around 105 days til the munchkin is, ahem, scheduled to arrive. She hasn't been cooperative so far, so let's see how close to the mark she'll get lol

The video shows some of my confusion too. I forgot to turn off the skimmer (which was juuuuust about to overflow when I turned it off), and after I unplugged the return pump and the one gyre that was on, a minute later the other gyre turned on and I had to go unplug it, too lol. I was also chewing gum - it looks like I was on super ultra meth chewing it sped up :lol:

Sorry to hear man. I got it from some Ora skunk clowns that came in same day I picked up. Took out all my fish in my 150 except a few. My original clowns made it though treatment. The male was so damn ugly.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/plainrt/Mobile%20Uploads/9D29B9AC-B1DE-44B6-A40E-20AF4B005793_zpsserwzpxe.jpg

Yikes! All of my new fish looked like that - all the 'old' fish I have, which are now in QT (plus the new clown that doesn't look too bad), haven't missed a beat except for the occasional spazz out.

Yeah, it nicked me on the finger once. Couldn't feel it for a week after it being extremely painful for a couple of days.

damn was that after a hot water soak even? some of the stories I read were freakin aweful (bacteria infections setting in mostly)

also congrats on the incoming family member (just saw that) kids love reefs so you got an excuse to go to the lfs all the time now.

also, it did look like the breaking bad scene with jessie throwing the party in his house for like 3 days straight the way you were nomming the gum lol.

Move fast guy this stuff is wicked. Fw sips seemed to slow a bit when had but not much. I used formalin if remember right.

jedimasterben

Move fast guy this stuff is wicked. Fw sips seemed to slow a bit when had but not much. I used formalin if remember right.

Formalin is for pansies, I've got chloroquine phosphate :)

Formalin is for pansies, I've got chloroquine phosphate :)

them fish are ganna be good to swim up the panama canal malaria free when your done with them.

jedimasterben

them fish are ganna be good to swim up the panama canal malaria free when your done with them.

Yep, ain't no malaria gonna slow them down! CP is awesome. It works on basically every external parasite there is. And it keeps the QT tank squeaky clean, its a strong algaecide.

Yep, ain't no malaria gonna slow them down! CP is awesome. It works on basically every external parasite there is. And it keeps the QT tank squeaky clean, its a strong algaecide.

Better start dosing CP in my reef to get rid of all that GHA then, it will be a FOWLR by the time I finish dosing though I suspect haha.

I kinda lurk on this thread every now and then it just seems like every time I visit you are going through a different tragedy each time :/

Really sucks to see this, and I hope things get better. I say it's about time you've had some good luck! Hope those fishies pull through!

That is one of the best reef videos I've ever watched...seriously. So entertaining/funny, and you have a real talent for catching fish lol. I'm really impressed!

jedimasterben

Better start dosing CP in my reef to get rid of all that GHA then, it will be a FOWLR by the time I finish dosing though I suspect haha.

LOL, yeah, it will kill all the zooxanthellae in your coral (they are a dinoflagellate, after all) but your tank will be so clean! :D

I kinda lurk on this thread every now and then it just seems like every time I visit you are going through a different tragedy each time :/

Really sucks to see this, and I hope things get better. I say it's about time you've had some good luck! Hope those fishies pull through!

Yeah, it seems it's one thing after another. Eh, this is what I get for slacking on QT, this one I was in line for. But looking back, this outbreak does seem to originate from the Bluezoo order, as it was right afterwards that everything new started dropping like flies.

That is one of the best reef videos I've ever watched...seriously. So entertaining/funny, and you have a real talent for catching fish lol. I'm really impressed!

:lol: thanks! It's really not that bad, just gotta take your time and move slow, they react more to jerky movement.

This thread moves so fast I had to stop reading yesterday to fix dinner and finish this morning! It is well worth it. I always learn a ton from you Ben.

I really enjoyed your video. You really are a Jedi Master with catching fish. I would have a lot of trouble doing this in my 125 gallon. ;)

Edgar! :wub:

jedimasterben

This thread moves so fast I had to stop reading yesterday to fix dinner and finish this morning! It is well worth it. I always learn a ton from you Ben.

I really enjoyed your video. You really are a Jedi Master with catching fish. I would have a lot of trouble doing this in my 125 gallon. ;)

Edgar! :wub:

:lol:

This tank is shallow enough that it's easy for me to reach everywhere. Your 125 is a lot taller so it would definitely be more difficult. Fish freak out when nets are in the water, though, so without them they're usually calmer.

All was well in the QT tank this morning, the only fish I'm worried about is the little clown, it's still having buoyancy problems. Hopefully that will get better once I medicate the tank today after work. All of them ate mysis last night except for that little clown, it so far only eats pellets, which is kinda funny, as the pellets I've been feeding are the 1mm in size, almost too big to fit in its mouth lol.

And I just looked at POTO's website, they have every damsel that I wanted from Blue Zoo. Damn. Seriously considering going and grabbing a small tank to hold them in QT lol.

And I just looked at POTO's website, they have every damsel that I wanted from Blue Zoo. Damn. Seriously considering going and grabbing a small tank to hold them in QT lol.

One thing at a time, man. Get all this taken care of first. They'll have those fish again later. You'll regret it if you buy them now. Especially with everything going on right now. Take'er easy, take'er easy.

Archived