Pod Your Reef

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

That FTS! Looking nice Ben!

It's probably going to look nothing like this soon, at least on the left side, I'm gonna have to pull the rock out again to get the fish out. :/

jedimasterben

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck with fish. Think the Brook came in on the Blue Zoo fish?

Dunno - that's right at the time shit really went downhill, so it's possible.

michaelrzachmann

oh i thought it was a BTA. So what is that on the big right rock structure behind the clown fish in the FTS?

jedimasterben

oh i thought it was a BTA. So what is that on the big right rock structure behind the clown fish in the FTS?

Heteractis magnifica :)

Hang in there. Feed ick pellets.

AT LEAST TRY DANGNABBIT

two of the six fish don't eat pellets, the angel and the betta, and the betta likely never will. I have tried in the past, i used a turkey baster to put some in front of it, it looked at them like this

not.jpg

I have chloroquine phosphate powder, so that will be used in QT, it is the active ingredient in the NLS Ich Shield :)

Sorry about the Brook outbreak Ben :(. At least you caught it, when my clown got infected it was too late to save the poor girl, I had no medications on hand and they were late to ship. Here's hoping everything pulls through :).

jedimasterben

Well the potters angel went from fine this morning to looking like a turd about two hours ago and i just watched it stop breathing a few minutes ago. Yay.

Definitively brooklynella hostilis. :/

HarryPotter

Well the potters angel went from fine this morning to looking like a turd about two hours ago and i just watched it stop breathing a few minutes ago. Yay.

Definitively brooklynella hostilis. :/

I'm so sorry JediMaster, that's such a shame. I know you're trying to make light of it, but we all understand where you're coming from. Losing fish and other critters is a terrible feeling, but you're doing your best to deal with the I preventable outbreak

my gramma has cotton mouth I think a pretty advanced case and there's no catching him. Was in the tank happy fora year or so and for the past 5 months has had cotton mouth and fins that look like crap. Feel terrible for the guy jus he darts out and still eats but looks miserable. Anyways had I qt'd the poor guy still coulda gotten this crud but the other fish are doing fine on a very varied diet. Hopefully some of your fishes can deal with it on their own. Brooks nasty stuff good luck man.

jedimasterben

I'm pretty jaded to this kinda stuff at this point, so it's really not so bad. At least I know my big nem got a good meal from one of the damsels yesterday. It's not big enough to take on the angel, so that one got pulled.

And while the other fish are ok now, brook reproduces at a significantly faster rate than ich AND produces more theronts in each cycle, which is why it kills so quickly, it just overwhelms the fish and smothers their gills.

I have a net arriving today (seriously, where the hell did my net go) which I'll use to catch the rabbitfish, the rest I'll catch by hand. Takes a bit more time but i prefer not using nets, never have had to in the past except with the rabbit since it is very venomous. Ciguatoxin ain't no joke :)

I've got plenty of chloroquine to do the treatment several times over. Since the angel is no longer part of the equation, the rest of the fish aren't constantly on the move, so I'll be using a 10g tank for treatment instead of the 29g that I planned. 10g is a little more difficult to keep the temperature right (the temperature in this room varies quite a bit, the big tank isn't affect but I'm worried a small one will be), so I've ordered a Cobalt Neo Therm. Also ordered a couple of sponge filters, one to put in the QT along with some Seachem Matrix from the sump and one to put in the sump to have on hand for the next round of fish to go into QT.

I just caught up with the drama. Sucks to hear about the fish, but hey you did say "Beware" of the shallows,hahah! Aside from the bad joke are you planning to replace those fish with the same fish or new ones down the road?!

jedimasterben

I just caught up with the drama. Sucks to hear about the fish, but hey you did say "Beware" of the shallows,hahah! Aside from the bad joke are you planning to replace those fish with the same fish or new ones down the road?!

They're some of my favorites, so the same, eventually. This time Liveaquaria and not Bluezoo lol.

Sorry to hear about your troubles....the tank looks good though. I'm in the same boat as you. I had a failed bluezoo order and will definitely quarantine everything from now on.....from liveaquaria or lfs....

jedimasterben

How on Earth do you catch fish by hand in a reef tank?

Not that hard. I'll try and set up my camera to show it :)

Archived