ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

There was this one time I walked into a truckers restroom and that sound was the most disgusting thing ever. I walked right back out. Tanks shapin up here quite nice there. Looking at these pics of all the rock outta the tank reinforces the fact that I'll never be touching my aquascape.. evar!!!

Way too many times have I attempted to move 1 rock to get somethin and then 4 hours later end up with a different scape.. and this was in the nanos. Good lord I don't wanna scape the 180 again. I don't got it in me.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

My arms are all jelly-like still from just lifting them out and then back in again! :lol:

Well, I guess I did also rinse all the sand, that was quite a bit of work.

Good news is that both of the Gyres are on right now as they're switching the sand hasn't budged :D

My arms are all jelly-like still from just lifting them out and then back in again! :lol:

Well, I guess I did also rinse all the sand, that was quite a bit of work.

Good news is that both of the Gyres are on right now as they're switching the sand hasn't budged :D

Sounds like someone needs to hit the gym :lol:
jedimasterben

I really hope the big nem stays where it is instead of trying to climb higher on the rock like it did before. It looks SO much better like this!

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

Serpent star lost a couple of arms with the KCl overdose... but it's still alive and moving around so it should be ok.

IMG_1958.jpg

Not sure about this chalk bass though... it's been in this same spot since the OD. :/

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

Look at how clear the water is now! It was the UV sterilizer after all. Not sure what it was killing to make the water so nasty, but it was definitely working!

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

FlowerMama

Is that a pond UV sterilizer you were telling me about? Oh, and forgot, I like your maxi min island. But agree, needs more!!!!

Looks great! I just can't live without the look of sand even though I hate all the extra work keeping it clean :)

jedimasterben

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sexy af

:D

Is that a pond UV sterilizer you were telling me about? Oh, and forgot, I like your maxi min island. But agree, needs more!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-CUV-155-Light-Sterilizer-Clarifier/dp/B00F5NLZXI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1431787708&sr=8-5&keywords=sunsun+uv+55w

It is the largest UV sterilizer that isn't $5k that uses a true UV lamp and not a low-output nail curing lamp.

My LFS had some maxis the other day for $14 but from the looks of it I already had all of the clones they were selling.

Looks great! I just can't live without the look of sand even though I hate all the extra work keeping it clean :)

It's not really a lot of work IMHO, just really stir it up every once in a while and it should be good :)

That's a fine tank sir. Looks really natural,like a Lazer cut section of a reef.

jedimasterben

Of course Ben! Also Ben I'm getting that upgrade itch,new lighting. LED of course.

Premade or? DIY is addictive lol

Premade or? DIY is addictive lol

No diy for me haha. I'm no good at any of that noise. Probably a nano box duo. They seem pretty legit from a price for what ya get stand point. Plus they have the neat little cloud,storms etc etc I like that kinda thing.

Saw your video on the gyre demo used in a presentation by Joe Yaiullo at our reef conf yesterday.

The only thing i got outta the whole presentation was to blast the shit outta everything. :huh: or rather, how to do it in a 20,000 gallon tank. Never did really cover how much flow is too much.

Saw your video on the gyre demo used in a presentation by Joe Yaiullo at our reef conf yesterday.

The only thing i got outta the whole presentation was to blast the shit outta everything. :huh: or rather, how to do it in a 20,000 gallon tank. Never did really cover how much flow is too much.

He showed Bennys video?! I love that man.

He showed Bennys video?! I love that man.

Yep.. time to request the royalties. I was sooooooooooooooo close to convincing the wife to let me come home with a red sea reefer 170. Almost pulled it off... almost. I shoulda asked for forgiveness, not permission :P

I basically need the 130d with some lights that are worth a darn. She's not into the rimless look.

jedimasterben

:lol:

It's awesome he is still using the video - I sent it to him when the Gyre was still in beta, asked him what the presentation was about and if I could get a copy if he ever recorded one, never heard back from him after that, but I had assumed it was on flow :)

jedimasterben

The IM Gourmet Defroster is amazing.

20150518_170406.jpg

The Two Little Fishies Magfeeder can suck it.

The tank looks awesome! And what adorable photos of your cat(s). Love the coloring :)

Funny - our two cats prefer my husband over me too! And two of the three dogs prefer me over my husband.

jedimasterben

Just used my new Elos test kits for the first time.

Calcium - 500ppm+

Alkalinity - 89ppm (5dKH)

Magnesium - 1250-1300ppm (accidentally added another drop at the end of the test, so not sure if it stopped at 7 or 8 drops)

The test kits are easy to use once you actually use them. Just looking at the directions left me like :huh:, but then once I actually started adding the reagents it became clear. With these reagents, there is a stark difference in start and end points, and there is no gradual change between the two - it's either still good or BOOM it's done, which is awesome.

My Hanna alk checker is still showing that I've got ~150ppm for alkalinity, so there is quite the disparity. I think I'm going to take a bit to the LFS with me this weekend to have them check it before I start adding some baking soda.

jedimasterben

Just read that I can make an alkalinity standard to test the test kit with. 0.084g baking soda in 1L water should give 2.8dKH. I'm more interested in the 8dKH range, so I'll triple that to 0.252g baking soda for 8.4dKH. :)

Archived