ReefCleaners.org

NJKayakAngler's JBJ Cubey build

NJKayakAngler

• 2 years later...
NJKayakAngler

Well Its been a really long time and I set this tank back up in my office last month and it doing great I ditched the DIY LED and went with a AI Prime have it dialed down to like 3% and only using around 1 watt of power but everything is looking great so far please don't mind the algae I had a hair algae problem that is being tackled by a seahare.

post-77538-0-50744600-1455828560_thumb.jpg

post-77538-0-02270200-1455828561_thumb.jpg

post-77538-0-50906800-1455828561_thumb.jpg

post-77538-0-01561000-1455828562_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Howling_North666

Was kind of looking around. Bought this tank on sale today because I've wanted to trying growing a small reef with a few corals, and after doing my research, it seems I have made a mistake by just the sheer size of this small tank. So I wanted to ask you for help. Do I return this tank and get something with a little more volume, or if I keep it, what are some things I did not consider before my purchase about the upkeep of this tank (noticed you were checking water quality daily) and other preventative measures?

NJKayakAngler

Howling  I really liked the tank but I did upgrade everything.  I built an overflow box for the intake, upgraded to and Eheim return pump, and used an AI Prime HD for lighting.  Water changes every week and thats about it no sure what you paid for the tank but you might be better returning this tank and looking into an IM Fusion 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 10:35 PM, Howling_North666 said:

Was kind of looking around. Bought this tank on sale today because I've wanted to trying growing a small reef with a few corals, and after doing my research, it seems I have made a mistake by just the sheer size of this small tank. So I wanted to ask you for help. Do I return this tank and get something with a little more volume, or if I keep it, what are some things I did not consider before my purchase about the upkeep of this tank (noticed you were checking water quality daily) and other preventative measures?

You might want to return this tank, not due to the volume, but because (from what I've read) basically all the equipment will need to be upgraded to be able to keep a reef.  Picos aren't impossible though you do need to be diligent.  A larger tank like the IM tank NJKayakAngler recommends will give you more space for corals and more water volume for mistakes.  Or you could try something like the IM 14 peninsula that is the subject of the current Nano-Reef contest. :)

If you'd rather stay small, you can try a 2.5 or 5.5 with a light and powerhead or AquaClear filter for a simple setup, or even try a reef bowl or reef jar as many people here are doing nowadays.  :welcome: to N-R and don't be afraid to ask questions, we are happy to help!

Archived